Hefeweizen ferment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruinpilot

Reaction score
Just curious about fermenting a Bavarian Hefeweizen. Since I don't need it to clarify, does it not need very long sitting in the primary before bottling, or does it benefit from a flavor perspective to sit for awhile after the first phase of the fermentation is done. I am not worried about it clarifying as I am using a yeast with a low floctuation. Thanks.

I would go 3 weeks primary then bottle (check FG of course though first).

Best advice I ever got on Hefewizen is to ferment at the lower end of the yeast temperature range......i.e. around 62F. This comes from Jamil's book "Brewing Classic Styles".....I was fermenting at higher end of temperature first couple times and never got the Banana ester flavor you would expect (even though you always hear that the higher end of temp range gives you more banana flavors).......once I went at the low end it turned out nicely.

I've never had a hefeweizen take more than 2 weeks to reach a stable FG. The yeast is a very active strain so I suspect my beer was ready before that, but I don't start taking gravity readings until 2 days before the 2week mark so I don't know.

I would give it 2 weeks since you're bottling. This kegger tends to havest them at about 10 days. My buddy has been known to turn around a hefe with a 4 day ferment which actually isn't bad.

A longer timeframe would be an advisable call to help prevent bottle bombs.

Thanks for the good advice. Any input on how to get the bubble gum phenol? I have a fermentation chamber so I will shoot for the low end of the temp range.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back