Hefeweizen Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiko

Reaction score
I have brewed about 5 Hefeweizen's over the summer, a mixture of American and German, using different malt extracts. Each time I pour one to a glass I notice the color is dark. Compared to the original Hefeweizen's like Paulaner, Franziskaner, etc. where is they have a lighter color, mine just seems too dark. They taste good enough (maybe a tad malty for me). Any suggestions (beside doing a AG)?

I had someone suggest that I boil just the hops for about 45 min and then add the DME in the last 15 min. I figured I would post the question before I ruin a batch this weekend.

yep, do a shorter boil (or as has been suggested elsewhere and by John Palmer) boil 1/2 DME at start and other half with about 20 minutes left in the hour boil. As for hops, be sure to boil the hops for the full time suggested (probably 60 minutes for the bittering hops). Also, if you are using light base malt DME you could switch to an extra light DME. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, i've been having the same problem. The solution that ive found is boiling half of the extract and then adding the other half within the last 15 minutes to sterilize. This method apparently not only makes the beer lighter in color but also helps in hops utilization. I say give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Great! I'll give it a shot and let you know.
Thanks, I knew someone here would have an answer. :rockin:

Oh cool. I've brewed two wheat beers now and both came out rather dark. I'll have to try this with my next wheat. This weekend I have already decided to try a dunkle, so it won't matter if its dark.

I do 1.5 gal boils and only add 1 lb of DME to the pot with 3% AA Hallertau hops.

I've also made several experiments using different boil times and hop amounts.

Try 1.5 gal water with 1 lb DME and 6% AA hops for 30 mins. Remove from flame and add the remaining DME. Let sit for 15 mins. Done.:D

I just bottled an American Wheat where I was worried about this problem -- I added less than half of the DME and then the other 2/3 with about 20 minutes left (I stirred it in slowed to avoid any boil overs).

My color compares almost exactly what Beersmith says is should be. Because you don't have the heatbreak issues with a DME, you can add it later to get the right color.

I'm sure you do this, but you should also make sure that you add the DME only after you come to a boil (to keep it in there less time than it needs to be) and stir it up well.

Cheers.

egerrish said:
I'm sure you do this, but you should also make sure that you add the DME only after you come to a boil (to keep it in there less time than it needs to be) and stir it up well.

Im confused...:confused:
I thought that the DME is what caused the hot break? If you add 2/3 with 20min left, wont you get another hot break?

Back