Hefe question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Is it even worth racking a Hefe to secondary since secondary is mainly for clearing the brew more? Thoughts?? I have had my Hefe in primary for about 10 days now, and still have a few bubbles every so often......what a fermentor that thing was.......a BEAST I would call it......thing made so much noise it was incredible.......:ban:

Well being it's still in primary, how long can I leave it on the cake before I run into problems with off flavors?

Personally, I'd put it into a secondary, but only for a few days. You're not really doing a secondary for claification per se, but to make sure you don't get a huge amount of trub and hop residue in the finished product.

I made the mistake of not doing a secondary on my recent american wheat and ended up with a bunch of unwanted crap in it. It didn't affect the flavor, but it just doesn't look so great with some little hop fragments and additional sediment in the brew.

I always do a secondary even for my HWs. For the most part it's to 1) get it off the trub in the primary and 2) to allow more sediment to fall out.

Most of my HWs are clear before I pour in the yeast. I do this because even though it is not a true Kristall some people don't want the yeast.

Even if you bottle from the primary your beer will eventually become clear anyway.

Yup, these guys have you covered...rack to a secondary for a couple days. Its worth it.

I racked to secondary last night......didn't know that HEFE's would eventually become clear.....that is interesting.....how do they stay cloudy from your local pubs or bottled from the brew store?

Back