heavy sulfur smell- Wyeast 1028 London Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfduke

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a vanilla porter with the above strain, and getting one hell of a pungeant sulfur smell from the blowoff tubing. Everything looks normal- good kreusen, no visible signs of infection/issues, and had a good vigorous (>1 bubble/second) activity level for a solid 3 days.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm fermenting at 64 to keep some of the fruity esters down. That is still well within the temp window of this strain though.

Am I being overly nervous for nothing? I'm used to the sulfur smells of lagering, and I know it's better to smell it in the exhaust gas than taste it in the beer, but I have brewed/fermented this exact beer before without this issue. Same fermentation temp and everything.

I have had that happen with several yeasts...and happily the beers all turned out great. Give it time, it will blow off.

Back