Heavy Hop smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
If your looking for a very heavy hop aroma, can you use high AA hops like Columbus/Warrior/Chinook? Most recipes seem to use those as the full 60 min boil hops and then tone down to lighter hops. Will be cooking with heavy AA hops.

Thanks guys, this question is for my brother who is not yet on the forums. I'm trying to guide him best I can, but these are not the type of brews I make. I appreciate your assistance

Dis

Not sure if this will help all that much but here is my put:

Many of the really big bittering hops don't have that great of an aroma or flavor composition. There are "dual-use" hops cultivars out there that sort of walk the line between a bittering hop and an aroma hop, but the three you mentioned above aren't generally accepted as being dual-use.

There is a good wiki on this site with a run down of many cultivars. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hop_varieties#Bittering_and_aroma_hops

In the end, you can put any hop or flavoring agent in at any time, adding Chinook as an aroma hop isn't going to land you in IPA purgatory, but at the same time blowing 2 ounces of a high AA hop at 5 minutes left in the boil probably isn't going to get the flavor profile you want and it'll be a waste of the bittering power.

I'm not sure what a "heavy" hop aroma is, do you mean an intense hop aroma?

The AA is basically a guide for how much bittering power a certain crop has, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the flavor or aroma of a hop. If you're looking for big-time hop aroma it's all about adding lots of hops at the end of the boil, regardless of what kind of hop it is, and/or dry hopping with plenty of hops. Certain hops are more intense or pungeant than others, but when it comes to aroma it's more about not cooking them much.

Back