Heavy Fermenting after 16 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireantz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a Witbier I made on 20 Sep that's still very actively fermenting 16 days later. Is this OK? The OG was 1.050 and I took a reading yesterday of 1.018. It's sitting right now at about 70 degrees. The yeast was Wyeast Belgian Witbier #3944

Seems a little out of the ordinary from brew experience. I would check if its an infection, but I would probably just RDWHAHB and get to drunk to forget to check.

Heavily fermenting? Or just a high krausen? I made a wit and the krausen never fell until I stirred the fermenter around quite a bit. They seem to be reluctant to fall.

That strain gives about 75% attenuation. Your getting close to FG but it isn't out of the norm. I can't account for why it has taken a bit longer than usual, but it isn't all that out of wack. Someone with more experience could probably chime in. When you say 14 days, are you counting from the time you pitched or the time active fermentation began? Did you use a starter? If you used a straight pitch from the pouch that would certainly slow things down.

EDIT: While I was posting my questions were answered or somehow I didn't see all the posts. Sorry :-(

Back