Heavy Citrus Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilltownBandit

Reaction score
Have been brewing some really simple session beers recently and I just wanted to step out on a limb and try something that could either crash and burn, or be pretty good. I put together a really big slightly spiced wheat beer. For a five gallon batch my ingredients were - 6.3 lbs of wheat extract, 1 lb of brewers best golden light dry extract, lb honey (30 min. addition), and a half gallon of pineapple orange juice pre pitch. Also 2 oz. of German Hersbrucker (60 min) and .75 oz. of Kent Goldings (5 min.). For spices i added one stick of cinnamon, one oz. correander and zest from one lemmon and 2 orange peals. Used Wyeast Forbidden Fruit yeast. She is curently fermenting VIOLENTLY:rockin:. It smells awesome, but I rolled the dice here and don't really know what I am in for haha. Just having fun and rolling with it, what do you guys think?

It's been fermenting pretty hard for about a day now, smells AWESOME:rockin:... but i have heard some bad stuff about using orange pre fermentation. However, I have done it and had no problems in previous brews. I also was dumb enough not to buy a new hydrometer after being a wizard and busting my old one, so I have no OG reading. Also, bad at math, anyone know what my OG should be? I know it isn't low, i am throwing a wild guess at around 1.07 but not sure.

Another question. I have done secondaries in the past, but is it neccessary for this one? It should have some natrual haze to it anyway so secondary needed?

Finally got a hydrometer so I had to test out the big wheat. sitting at 1.023 right now, still getting some bubbling so she is on course. When doing so I couldn't help but take a little taste test. Things are going well so far, taste a bit like a normal wit up front has some spice in the middle and a crisp hoppy/citrus finish. Still a bit sweet, but I think it's fermenting out to be a pretty good one!

Had a grapefruit wheat recently on Long Island that was awesome. And I dislike grapefruit.

My beer yoda made a similar batch a ways back. Interesting flavor from OJ, pretty strong ABV, odd aftertaste. We kegged and drank it all. Was good a pint at a time for sure!

Beer yoda? Do you have a personal beer guru? Cause that is awesome

Indeed I do. Long before I started brewing, I happily was a test drinker for his experiments. Once he got way into brewing, he got me hooked. We've brewed together many times, and any time I run up against something, I text or call and he has an answer.

He also yeast banks many, many yeasties, so many times I borrow some and make a starter and use great yeast rather than packaged. He grows hops, he kegs, he made some kinda alcohol in the sink with white bread and raisins. Heh. It was nasty. I guess it was prison wine...

Anyway, yeah, I have my own beer yoda...

Oh, and since I am the tech elite, that's our barter - he teaches me brewing and I do all his tech work.

Ended up being a pretty big success. Starts out slightly sweet with lots of citrus notes and finishes with a hint of cinnamon with light hop bitterness. REALLY happy with it.

Back