Heating SS Brewtech Brew Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
I've just purchased an SS Brewtech Brew Bucket, which looks the business and - I'm sure IS the business - however, I'm testing it on some water before using it for real and I have an issue.

My cellar is 11C and the water (when going into the fermentor) was around 9C. After three hours of having a heat belt strapped around the middle, the water is only 14C and there is a whole heap of condensation.

Before purchasing, the retailer assured me that stainless steel was a better conductor of heat, so a brew belt would work really well at heating.

Anyone had any experience or suggestions that don't include a brew fridge?!

I don't understand the problem, you gained 5 degrees in 3 hours, that seems like plenty of heat gain? What is your goal temperature? A heat belt wrap is low power and will take time to heat 5 gallons of wort.

You have condensation because you started at a temp less than ambient in a humid basement environment.

More details on what you are trying to achieve heat wise would be helpful.

I have a brew bucket/heating pad set up that I've used twice so far. The pad is plugged into a thermal controller (I have the bucket with the thermowell) and the bucket is in my garage with temps ranging from 40 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

I've had no problem maintaining a fermentation temp of 62F. I wrapped my bucket and pad with reflectix duct wrap and threw a heavy blanket over for good measure.

When I check in on the bucket (which was a lot on my first brew) I almost never caught the heating pad on.

I've always started at or slightly above my target fermentation temp. I don't know how efficient it would be if you were well below temp and trying to raise it.

The yeast generates a lot of heat in the beginning and 5 gallons takes a while to cool off. My second batch went in about 2 degrees above and once it was all wrapped up I think it took 24 hours to fall below 62F.

Can't speak to the condensation issue.

Do you plan on pitching at 9C?
Why not do a real test and begin at pitching temp?
If the belt won't hold the heat in your freezing-ass-cold cellar, try wrapping with some insulation.

Back