Heating element seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mors

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm having a bit of an issue/concern with my electric heating element installed for my kettle. I have the heating element installed in a tri-clamp enclosure I purchased from NorCal Brewing Supplies. No issues wiring it up or anything like that... It also seals... But it unseals pretty easily too. The issue I am having is I screw the element into the enclosure and it will seal.. but if I ever so slightly over screw it in the gasket mushrooms out and doesn't seal any longer. It's very easy for it to become overtightened... or loosened (which causes it to unseal). Basically the element nut is never tight... it's just like lose at some point when the gasket just barely kisses the enclosure... Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a better seal between the element and the enclosure? Thanks.

Here is the enclosure I'm talking about.
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Heating-Element-Adapter-2-Inch-Tri-Clover.html

The element is a 5500W ULWD element (standard 1")

Are you using the simple o-ring, or the flat gasket? I would use the flat gasket.

I put my red silicone oring on the inside of my kettle when I had an element like yours. the stainless nuts have a groove in them to help hold the washer from squeezing out. the oring did seal well against the teflon tape this way... I tried your way first and that worked too but the element wasnt as snug because it wasnt against the kettle on the outside shoulder.

and get some sort of safe enclosure other than red tape loosely wrapped around those bare wires!

I put my red silicone oring on the inside of my kettle when I had an element like yours. the stainless nuts have a groove in them to help hold the washer from squeezing out. the oring did seal well against the teflon tape this way... I tried your way first and that worked too but the element wasnt as snug because it wasnt against the kettle on the outside shoulder.

and get some sort of safe enclosure other than red tape loosely wrapped around those bare wires!

Hess has triclover element enclosure

Thanks guys. I was thinking about replacing the gasket. Read another thread where someone was saying the orings were not getting a good seal. But I believe you're right. This one is just too soft and floppy lol.

Next address your wiring enclosure/protection. That looks dangerous.

He had a TC element enclosure but took the element out to snap a photo of the seal. I made the same mistake of overlooking his comment on it and commented on the picture as well.

Haha yeah the enclosure should keep it all tucked away (if it stops filling with water...) I stuck an o-ring on there with keg lube... But still leaks... The element nut 'ledge' is very small. I'm thinking maybe I need to find a large washer... The saga continues.

I am lost. Where are you using a washer with that enclosure? Where are you using a nut? Are you using solid wire or stranded wire for your power cord. The picture looks like solid wire.

I am lost. Where are you using a washer with that enclosure? Where are you using a nut? Are you using solid wire or stranded wire for your power cord. The picture looks like solid wire.

Yeah it's solid wire. The nut I'm referring to is the actual element itself. I tried sticking a washer under that then the washer. Then the element screws into the enclosure. Saldy it still leaked after I did this... I think it might be the enclosures fault. There are some rough edges on top of the female threads wher ethe gasket meets the enclosure... I think this Nor Cal enclosure was not ready for prime time... I did email them for some pointers a few days prior to posting here.. radio silence unfortunately.

Sorry if I seem disparaged... Just came back from testing the seal again and it was leaking. I really thought I had it this time around with the washer on there lol.

Does the nut your using have a groove for the oring?

The nut is the actual element. There is no groove in it. I currently have a washer between the element nut and the gasket. This was because the gasket kept deforming and popping out from under the element nut.

The nut is the actual element. There is no groove in it. I currently have a washer between the element nut and the gasket. This was because the gasket kept deforming and popping out from under the element nut.

That washer will likely leak, as there's no seal between it and the element nut, and liquid can run up the threads and past the washer. Element threads are NPS (straight thread) and aren't designed to seal the threads themselves. Also, you shouldn't need teflon tape on the element, as the gasket should seal the element nut to the fitting, and teflon tape may make it easier to overtighten or for the element to loosen on the fitting.

You have that fairly pricey heavy triclover enclosure where its more or less being used cosmetically so why no buy the tri clover adapter for the element threads and buy the weldless triclover fitting to mount it to the kettle? This way you have one where it would actually be beneficial? Right now you dont have a good proper seal between that washer and the threads of the element... Theres a good chance with a little use the leak will return. You would be much better off mounting it the way most of us do and as suggested way by places like brewhardware and that is to use a nut and silicone washer on the inside of your kettle so the oring can seal more efficiently.

I just bought one of bobbies tri clover weldless kettle adapters and the thing works great! your element would work the same way with a 1" to 1.5" tc adapter plate.

IMG_20161229_090319603[1].jpg

IMG_20161229_090245289[1].jpg

Back