Heating element contacting adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
So I got a heating element from brewmation because I don't want to deal with the rust issue with the Camco's (even though I know I can silicone them).

I had no issues with fitment for my Camco 14" element, but with this one the end of the element is making contact with my TC->NPT adapter. So here's how I have it plumbed:

2" NPT bulkhead -> 2" NPTx2" TC adapter -> 2" TC x NPS housing.

I really don't know much about elements but I'm pretty sure that isn't a good thing. Anyone have any tricks here? Only thing I can come up with is to use a worm drive clamp to close the gap on the element a bit. But I don't know if this is even possible.

Thanks in advance.

If it's anything like traditional elements like the one you replaced it can easily be bent by hand.

Hmm.... it is like a traditional element - just 22" long. I'm trying to figure out how I would bend it considering the issue is at the tail end?

Is that just hollow tubing?

Well you could apply pressure at the hairpin bend to close things up. Or bend the whole thing to the opposite side from where it touches.

Bend the two tubes that come right out of the bushing away from the side of the foldback. The very slightest bend there will move the element off the adapter.

I think if I bend it like this, I'll pull it further away from the adapter but closer to the bulkhead...

Before I do anything, can anyone confirm bending the tube or compressing with a clamp or wire is ok? I don't know if there is something inside the element tubing or there would be some kind of short caused if the element tubes are clamped?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I bent one of my Camco elements at about 20 degrees so it didn't interfere with the hop blocker. Never had any issues afterward. Just be gentle. You're only bending it the tiniest bit.

Back