Heating a 14 gallon conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bane

Reaction score
I have a 14 gallon Stout Tanks conical. I have a cooling setup, but have recently move to a colder climate and find the need to heat it during the winter as I brew in my garage. Anyone have a good solution for heating of a 14 gallon conical? How well do things like the Spike conical heater work?

I ferment in a temperature controlled chamber that has a thermostatically controlled cooling circuit. In the winter, I put a heating pad in the chamber to keep it from falling too low. The cooling system keeps it from getting too high.

Add a heat source and keep your cooling source and it should work out. Crude, but effective.

Just ran into this problem myself.

What's your cooling method? Can you just use a warm water source instead of cold and keep doing the same thing? I put a fish tank heater in a cooler and pump warm water through the coils. It works great.

Just ran into this problem myself.

What's your cooling method? Can you just use a warm water source instead of cold and keep doing the same thing? I put a fish tank heater in a cooler and pump warm water through the coils. It works great.

I'm planning to test the heater for the brew bucket I bought from you to see what kind of increase over ambient it can provide when it's cold.

Doh ... didn't pay attention to the name. Using the brew bucket, you can expect the heater to handle 10-15 degree below ambient. I wouldn't trust ot much below that.

You can plug the pump into the heater plug on the controller and have it pump warm water. That will work in sub zero temps. I just had a Male fermenting at 68 while it was 18 degrees in my garage.

Doh ... didn't pay attention to the name. Using the brew bucket, you can expect the heater to handle 10-15 degree below ambient. I wouldn't trust ot much below that.

You can plug the pump into the heater plug on the controller and have it pump warm water. That will work in sub zero temps. I just had a Male fermenting at 68 while it was 18 degrees in my garage.

10 to 15 may be enough. My garage is usually 20 degrees above out side temp anyway.

If you want to keep it simple, a Fermwrap heater taped on and some insualtion works. Control w inkbird 308.

Latest posts

Back