Heather (stong) ale question - high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlewolfrus

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I decided to try doing an heather ale. OG was 1.08 and fermentation stopped at 1.022. I finally ended up pitching more yeast in it and the FG didn't change. After giving it enough time (close to 4 weeks) I was getting a bit of an off taste/aroma to it. Cold crashed it for a few days and the off flavor was still there. After two rough filtrations and cold crashing for 4 weeks it's amazingly clear and also pretty tasty but it also taste sweet but not sure if that's the sugar or the herbs I put in.

I'm not sure if I should bottle it now or try pitching more yeast to it to try to bring the OG down some. If there is still a lot of sugar left I might have some exploding bottles maybe after some time it's been bottled.

Any thoughts/advice?

If it tastes good and has a stable gravity for weeks, I doubt that the gravity will drop much more and cause exploding bottles.
Are you measuring gravity with a refractometer, by chance?
How about posting the recipe, including mash temp and fermentation temp?

Hey everyone. So I decided to try doing an heather ale. OG was 1.08 and fermentation stopped at 1.022.

That's 73% apparent attenuation, about what you'd expect from most yeast in a high-gravity brew. But we need more information: What yeast, how much did you pitch, did you oxygenate the wort, what was the grain bill, mash temperature, fermentation temperature... all of those can affect the final gravity.

Back