Heat and Cool in Same Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenebo

Reaction score
Hello folks, I have an idea and after searching every possible combination of words to match my question I cannot find a thread to match. Here goes: I would like to be able to heat or cool two carboys in the same fermentation chamber using a brewpi type setup and a heating element. My thought is to set the chamber to the lower temp setting (lager) and then wrap a heating coil around the other and insulate (ale). I'm not certain if this is feasible because I don't want the freezer and heating element fighting each other, but I think with enough insulation and duct tape it could work. Anyone have any ideas or links to threads for this? My dad likes BMC type beer so I'm trying to do something he'll enjoy while doing something that everyone else likes like an IPA without tying up the chamber for weeks just doing one.

Been lurking on this site for awhile and enjoy reading all the information you guys share. Haven't made a bad beer yet, but have had a few that required some dedication to finish!

Thanks!
Chris

You could build a spilt fermentation chamber by putting a foam insulation wall between the ale side and the lager side, and a temperature controlled fan to blow cold air into ale side as required (basically like a Son Of Fermentation Chiller build inside your fermentation chamber). Or you could wrap bubble wrap around the ale and its heating wrap, although that runs the risk of the ale overheating inside its insulation.

Third option is to brew your dad a cream ale using a clean ale yeast and a BMC type grain and hop bill.

Why not use your fermentation chamber for the lager and a swamp cooler for your ale? Or you could use yeast strains that have similar optimum fermentation temperatures. Last idea, just use wyeast kolsch for both. You can ferment low (55F) and it will produce a lager-like ale.

Hello folks, I have an idea and after searching every possible combination of words to match my question I cannot find a thread to match. Here goes: I would like to be able to heat or cool two carboys in the same fermentation chamber using a brewpi type setup and a heating element. My thought is to set the chamber to the lower temp setting (lager) and then wrap a heating coil around the other and insulate (ale). I'm not certain if this is feasible because I don't want the freezer and heating element fighting each other, but I think with enough insulation and duct tape it could work. Anyone have any ideas or links to threads for this? My dad likes BMC type beer so I'm trying to do something he'll enjoy while doing something that everyone else likes like an IPA without tying up the chamber for weeks just doing one.

Been lurking on this site for awhile and enjoy reading all the information you guys share. Haven't made a bad beer yet, but have had a few that required some dedication to finish!

Thanks!
Chris

That is what I do. I use this chamber which is cooled with an AC unit to about 40F. Then I use a FermWrap on a separate controller to ferment my ales inside this chamber.

bertha-62399.jpg

Last edited:
Back