Heart of Darkness Dry Irish Stout and Heavy Lifting Barleywine Win Medals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://singingboysbrewing.com/blog...h-stout-and-heavy-lifting-american-barleywine

Last weekend, two beers that my son and I brewed - one of the biggest beers we brew and one of the smallest - won medals at the 2019 Chicago Winterbrew competition.

In the strong ales category, our Heavy Lifting American Barleywine won a bronze medal. This is the first time we brewed this beer. It is strong (11% abv) and malty, but with a firm and bracing bitterness from a half pound of hops, leading to an estimated 61 IBUs. The hops featured are Citra, Amarillo and Centennial, and they give a pleasant, American hop flavor profile, both citrus and pine. With a final gravity of 1.020, it has a pleasantly full-bodied mouthfeel.

upload_2019-1-21_20-40-25.png

In the Irish beer category, our Heart of Darkeness Irish Stout (pictured above) won the silver medal. Unlike the barleywine, this beer is small (4% abv), dry and easy-to-drink by the pint. Flavorful, with roasted grain flavors that remind me of coffee and chocolate, we brew this beer often, tweeking the recipe from time-to-time. It also has a firm bitter backbone, from 3 ounces of English Challenger hops. leading to a predicted 41 IBUs of bitterness. Keeping the roasted character in this beer from being overwhelming is one of the challenges, and we used a de-bittered roasted malt from Breiss called Black Prinz. Another challenge is keeping this small and dry beer from feeling thin in the mouth - we bolstered the body with prodigous amounts of flaked barley in the mash.

I've updated the recipes section with the recipes for these beers - Heavy Lifting American Barleywine and Heart of Darkness Irish Stout.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-21_20-39-49.png
    upload_2019-1-21_20-39-49.png
    455.3 KB · Views: 80
Congrats! They sound like tasty beers - I think I’ll add the stout to my up coming brew list!

I love this style - think Guinness, but more flavorful. Small enough you can drink it by the pint, but enough roast and flavor to make it interesting.

Back