Heart of darkness cider atept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So heart of darkness is s great mead using a huge amount of currants black and rsdpberrys as well as cherry. I wanna try somthing similar with cider.
Im thinking
4 gal apple cider tree top or muselmans
Ajusted to 1.070 with sugar 2 packs redstart montache yeast

Base should be about 9%
Once primary is done add
3# raspberry
3# blackberry
2# tartcherry
1 32oz just black currants juice (maby more idk)
Also some kdap.
My guess is that all the fruit will dulite the cider down to 7.5 abv or so.

Any thoughts or criticism is helpful.

Last edited:
Well, at 1.070 and with the fruit, you're looking at a wine because fruit is fermentable. But the Heart of Darkness is a phenomenal mead, and even for a mead maker it's a tough thing to try to recreate. Ken served me some a while back, and I detect absolutely no apple juice in it at all. So it's hard to guess if the recipe you came up with will be reminiscent of that melomel.

Mead has little or no acidity, so cherries, raspberries and currants can be added that will provide balance. Your cider WILL have acidity, and with all the fruit is probably going to be overly tart.
I'd say try a 1-2 gallon batch, see what you get then start making some adjustments.

I dont mind tart i love sours. I gigure it will be strong. But i also figure adding all the fruit would thin it out some or do u think it will push higher?

Latest posts

Back