Heard of Boadicea Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeqmaster

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of boadicea hops or better yet used them? I just stumbled upon 8oz of them and want to try them out. The guy that gave them to me said they are somewhat unpopular due to an oniony aroma... If nothing else Ill use them for bittering. 7.3AA.

Never heard of it, but I did find reference to it in a commercial beer, something called Ridgeway bitter.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/beers/beerProfile.asp?BeerID=165

Ridgeway_Bitter.jpg

...To make it, Peter uses wonderful Challenger hops (the same variety that gives that striking floral hop aroma to his Bluebird Bitter), but then adds a very new hop, Boadicea, in the late boiling stage. Peter says that the Boadicea is perfect as a ‘late copper’ bittering hop, as it lends a terrific spicy hop quality to the beer. To be sure it comes out right, Peter personally selects the Boadicea hops that go into Ridgeway Bitter not only from a specific farm, but from a particular patch of ground on the farm. (Small details in soil composition, exposure to the sun, and more, determine the character of the hops on the vine.) Also in the mix is Maris Otter malt, the favored hop of English craft brewers. The result is perfect balance: a wholesome, slightly sweet, bready maltiness offset by a strong but subtle hop bitterness in the nose and on the palate.

Hope this helps. :mug:

Thanks! Interesting... at least somebody is using them out there. Not much on them though. I cant even find a profile sheet.

Thanks! Interesting... at least somebody is using them out there. Not much on them though. I cant even find a profile sheet.

Yeah I noticed when I decided to look it up. But like a lot of the fallout from the supposed yeast shortage a lot of lesser known hops have entered the marketplace from around the world. Some were terrible (at least in my experience) such as argentine cascade, but some sound pretty interesting.

I'm wondering if you can lay your hands on a bottle of that bitter. That way you can experience it in something that evidently people played around with until they felt like they had something good with it.

had a nice sample of a Boadicea SMaSH at my local homebrew shop, it was a very enjoyable beer if I recall, it was 14lbs Gambrinus 2Row, 3oz Bodacia, 1056 American Ale, not sure of mash temp or hop schedule. 154 if I had to guess based on mouth feel. the hops came across as a mellow citrus flavor with a light flowery aroma that reminded me a bit of fruit blossoms.

had a nice sample of a Boadicea SMaSH at my local homebrew shop, it was a very enjoyable beer if I recall, it was 14lbs Gambrinus 2Row, 3oz Bodacia, 1056 American Ale, not sure of mash temp or hop schedule. 154 if I had to guess based on mouth feel. the hops came across as a mellow citrus flavor with a light flowery aroma that reminded me a bit of fruit blossoms.

That's sounds nice.

I am going to make it myself in a batch or two, going to caramelize a bit of the first runnings to see how that comes across since I have never tried that method.

... But like a lot of the fallout from the supposed yeast shortage a lot of lesser known hops have entered the marketplace from around the world. Some were terrible (at least in my experience) such as argentine cascade, but some sound pretty interesting.

Yeast shortage? I think you mean hops shortage.

I found a deprecated page in French that was available in Google's cache, then translated it with Google:

http://translate.google.com/transla...icea.html+Boadicea+myrcene&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk

Not a ton of info, but this is worth noting:

The character of the hops is nice and tender, but the hops did not taste hops striking. This variety is used in combination with a hop with a stronger taste.

As a tip, when you're trying to find information on a specific hop, its character and oil profiles, in your search engine try putting the hop name *and* one of the constituent oils. For instance, I usually use myrcene, so "Boadicea myrcene" in the search engine will turn up anything if there's a sheet listing its oils somewhere.

Adnams Brewery in Southwold, UK has a beer with boadicea hops. It's really good. It tastes pretty 'green' without being like an IPA. I liked it, and want to brew on boadicea but can't find it in the States.

Never heard of the hops, but Bodicea (don't know about the spelling) was a queen of the Britons who fought (and lost to) the Romans.

Having some in a beer brewed by Adnams (I think), but released as a supermarket generic. Combines well with the Styrian Goldings, very spicy, some flower, but I'd still go for spicy / earthy.

Latest posts

Back