Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From working with them in a lab environment beware the Neslabs. They are the ****tiest circulators I have had the opportunity to work with. If it fries to a point that is irreparable go for a Lauda.

I got it used, for $50, I used neslabs in the semiconductor fabs for years at Intel and always thought they were pretty stout. May the lab chillers are a different story from the larger units I worked with?

why does not wanting to drink a 1.020 finishing beer make me out of my mind?

i don't like beer that sweet. i don't care how much time i put into it - if it's crap, im not gonna drink it
Well at least donate it to a poor alcoholic then :)

You're right, if you don't like something you don't have to drink it. I have dumped a few bottles when I get near the end of a batch, but I just can't imagine doing that to an entire batch over a slightly higher FG. I do wonder if you could even tell the difference between this beer with a FG of 1.020 and 1.012 (for example). Possibly, but I bet most would be fine drinking either.

At 22 days you said it was at 1.020. Was it still at 1.020 at 28 days? What was your fermentation profile?

if it was still fermenting after 22 days there was a problem with fermentation. if that was the case - i'm sure the flavor was affected as well (not in a good way)

Not to throw fuel on the fire but I'm with Jammin, if a beer finishes that high I'm very likely to dump it. I'm all for drinking beers that are lacking in a few regards but a sweet IPA isn't one of them.

I agree. However I drank a heady clone that stalled at 1.017 and I still thought it was good. Not saying that at 1.020 it'll be good. But I'd at least try it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have no idea where you guys are thinking I used Conan. I used Vermont IPA Yeast. I know I took a reading after I put in the priming sugar, which will raise the gravity a few points. Not sure if I took a reading while it was still in the fermenter. I seem to forget a lot to take notes.

I have no idea where you guys are thinking I used Conan. I used Vermont IPA Yeast. I know I took a reading after I put in the priming sugar, which will raise the gravity a few points. Not sure if I took a reading while it was still in the fermenter. I seem to forget a lot to take notes.

That yeast is Conan. They just can't call it Conan.

Not at all. I used it too. And mine got down to 1.014. Conan is just a real finicky yeast.

I agree. However I drank a heady clone that stalled at 1.017 and I still thought it was good. Not saying that at 1.020 it'll be good. But I'd at least try it first.

My Heady clone finished at 1.018 and it tastes awesome....not too sweet at all and very close to real Heady. My OG was high at 1.080, so it attenuated about as expected (77.5%). ABV = 8.1%. I don't think the extra 5 points from 1.013 are that noticeable.

If your FG is high (not "I completely screwed up 1.040+ high") add a little more hops to the dry hop. Granted it's a short term fix, and you'll have to be careful not to throw off this recipe, but it works wonders. I've bailed out a handful of beers this way - all were damn good until the hops faded (blech)

If your FG is high (not "I completely screwed up 1.040+ high") add a little more hops to the dry hop. Granted it's a short term fix, and you'll have to be careful not to throw off this recipe, but it works wonders. I've bailed out a handful of beers this way - all were damn good until the hops faded (blech)

thats bad advice IMHO - especially for this recipe and it's high amount of DH. sounds like a good way to make your beer taste like vegetables

are you kidding me? all you noobs with FG missing 3-8 points of attenuation, you all need to throw your $75 in the toilet. srrrsly. I can taste it through the interwebz that its not even close and I would dump it.

Gimme a break. Moreso, give new brewers a break and give better advice.

Dont worry about those couple points of gravity. Especially as a newer brewer. There are SO MANY VARIABLES that can affect your FG, and some of them arent even going to be from the yeast. If you are close, shrug it off and enjoy. If it bothers you, try to pinpoint what could have caused it (higher mash temp? yeast health?). Meanwhile enjoy your near miss, as I am sure that it still tastes lika decent beer.

^calm down. i never gave any advice - just said that i dont like beer that sweet.

shoulda i known i would get flamed if it didn't act like one of the sheep.

thats bad advice IMHO - especially for this recipe and it's high amount of DH. sounds like a good way to make your beer taste like vegetables

<off>
I haven't gotten a vegetal dry hop in 10+ years of brewing ... How the heck are you dry hopping? Or how much ...</off>

Changing the DH is going to risk skewing the recipe. When weighing trying to save 5-10 gallons and 8+ oz of hops with another 2-3, and the only problem is a 1.020 gravity, I'd go for it.

Adding another lb is a different story ... sunk cost.

yikes. that would be a drain pour for me.

did you use conan? that yeast is way to unpredictable for me to ever use it again

Perhaps this wasnt meant to be advice, but it can very easily be taken the wrong way, especially by the less experienced. Which is the only reason I said something. Honestly, nothing against you if you would drainpour it, but please try to help a situation rather than be the anti-sheep. We are not sheep, but shepherds.

its not help or anything. just commentary - more of a "dang, i feel for ya bro"

ive had conan under attenuate as well and it was frustrating

can everyone please get off my damn nuts now about not liking syrupy beer?

I'd really like to see a chart of Conan results including which yeast lab they used. I've had nothing but consistent results with Conan.

Which lab? Mine came from giga yeast and it only attenuated to like 70%. Both times. Second time was re pitched even, which is supposed to help from what I hear.

I'd really like to see a chart of Conan results including which yeast lab they used. I've had nothing but consistent results with Conan.

That sounds like a great idea with the variance of the yeast. I bet some of the labs would like the data from the field too (lab tests on attention aren't there real world).

For those of you that used Conan and had it under attenuate, did you consider pitching wlp001/wy1056/us-05? Once the bulk of the work is done and the major Conan character is imparted, it doesn't seem like the finishing yeast would matter and the Chico strain should finish those few points of attenuation if Conan did under attenuate.

I use Chico with it now. The only problem I've had is it makes the Conan drop out with it and it effects the mouthfeel. I've noticed it doesn't have that silkyness, for lack of a better word, to it like it does with just Conan.

After a week in the kegerator it's brilliantly clear like I used only Chico. Whereas without it, it takes a long ass time to clear like that.

I don't at all understand the logic of dumping a beer at 1.020 when you could do many different things to try to rouse it and finishing the last few gravity points. Especially a beer you have $50 invested in. Don't get me wrong, I've dumped a batch before, but only after exhausting all efforts to save it.

Like you were never a noob or an inexperienced brewer. I'm not sure where, or if I made a mistake. Like I said, I did take a final reading but it was with priming sugar, before I bottled. Was my mash temp too high? I doubt it, as I did add heat thru out the mash as I do BIAB. Maybe my thermometers are all off? Who knows. Time will tell in 2 weeks when my first bottle goes in the fridge. This is part of the learning curve. Sorry we are not all as good as you. And you know who you is.

please give me your top 3 things of [of many] with your average of amount of gravity points shaved. i always like to learn something new

1. Gently rock the carboy to rouse the yeast.
2. Increase your fermentation temp by 2-4 degrees.
3. Try adding a packet or vial of a different yeast strain, after proofing and propagating.
4. Add just a bit of additional sugar to try to re-activate the existing strain.

I've tried all of these before. Not all of them have worked every time, but one of the above usually does the trick to get me anywhere from 2-4 extra gravity points if I "need" them.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

i havent been pretentious at all stop making these veiled attacks.

I agree, you haven't been pretentious. You just said something I don't think many agree with or understand and you apparently didn't really mean it that way from your follow up comments.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Kegged it on Sunday, force carbed for three days, and drinking it tonight. Not sure how close it is to the real thing because it's been forever since I've had one. It's really good. Brewed the Farmhouse kit. I'd definitely brew it again.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414644550.433514.jpg

Like you were never a noob or an inexperienced brewer. I'm not sure where, or if I made a mistake. Like I said, I did take a final reading but it was with priming sugar, before I bottled. Was my mash temp too high? I doubt it, as I did add heat thru out the mash as I do BIAB. Maybe my thermometers are all off? Who knows. Time will tell in 2 weeks when my first bottle goes in the fridge. This is part of the learning curve. Sorry we are not all as good as you. And you know who you is.

If this is the case, that 1.020 reading is absolutely false. Not sure on the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if that added 3-5 gravity points to your FG.

If this is the case, that 1.020 reading is absolutely false. Not sure on the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if that added 3-5 gravity points to your FG.

Just to be clear: you are saying his FG reading is higher because he took it AFTER he put in his priming sugar. I missed that when I first read it, but yeah. You take your FG reading before adding priming sugar. The sugar essentially adds more fermentables (ie. Gravity points). Your actual FG was likely 1.014-1.016 depending on how much priming sugar was added.

Just to be clear: you are saying his FG reading is higher because he took it AFTER he put in his priming sugar. I missed that when I first read it, but yeah. You take your FG reading before adding priming sugar. The sugar essentially adds more fermentables (ie. Gravity points). Your actual FG was likely 1.014-1.016 depending on how much priming sugar was added.

Back