Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yeah....any news on what yeast to use since I don't have conan access? A lot of people are saying 1968 ESB

So yeah....any news on what yeast to use since I don't have conan access? A lot of people are saying 1968 ESB

I'm told that other yeasts just won't work the way conan does. I could make a recommendation that would make a delicious beer, it just wouldn't be heady. You may want to wait a bit, and get some conan. Here are some sources:

The Yeast Bay
http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/vermont-ale
East Coast Yeast ECY029
http://www.love2brew.com/ECY-North-East-Ale-ECY29-p/lyec29.htm
Yeastgeek YG001
http://yeastgeek.com/product-category/ale-yeast/
Gigayeast GY054 http://www.gigayeast.com/vermont-ipa-yeast-gy054
http://www.scotzinbros.com/yeast/gigayeast-gy054-vermont-ale-yeast

best of luck.

although it seems hard to control/unpredictable I would think using s-05 at a low temp to encourage it to throw some peach/fruit esters would prob be the closest thing - you likely won't get the same attenuation with 1968/002

edit: if you are ever in the Santa Monica area I'd be happy to give you a small culture to get you started

I'm told that other yeasts just won't work the way conan does. I could make a recommendation that would make a delicious beer, it just wouldn't be heady. You may want to wait a bit, and get some conan. Here are some sources:

The Yeast Bay
http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/vermont-ale
East Coast Yeast ECY029
http://www.love2brew.com/ECY-North-East-Ale-ECY29-p/lyec29.htm
Yeastgeek YG001
http://yeastgeek.com/product-category/ale-yeast/
Gigayeast GY054 http://www.gigayeast.com/vermont-ipa-yeast-gy054
http://www.scotzinbros.com/yeast/gigayeast-gy054-vermont-ale-yeast

best of luck.

Well...I've never had real heady and can't seem to get it so I want to make my own. What yeast would you recommend?

Well...I've never had real heady and can't seem to get it so I want to make my own. What yeast would you recommend?
wlp001/1056/US-05 are the typical IPA yeast.

i wouldn't call your brew a HT clone. it'll be a great IPA or DIPA, but the yeast is a really important contributor to this beer. without the conan, you're not making heady.

If you're asking which version of conan you should get from that list, I haven't tried any of them yet. I just ordered from yeast geek on monday, so I should have it sometime next week.

From that list it looks like the gigayeast one is the only one in stock right now. Yeastgeek should go on sale again on Monday at 3:00 PM eastern, but it sells out quickly. The Yeast Bay isn't actually up and running yet, but should be by the end of October. East Coast Yeast, it's hard to guess when they'll have some on sale.

Thanks guys. I was going to brew this weekend. I know it won't be heady because it'll be extract and the wrong yeast but I'll probably never know the difference because I'll never get my hands in the real stuff.

Something about a pound of flavor and aroma hops make me really want it.

Also I always use 001, us05 and 090 in my IPAs. I wanted to try something a little different.

I brewed this once with s-04 and it was very tasty. I brewed it again with Conan (yg001) and it was better.

m3n00b said:
Thanks guys. I was going to brew this weekend. I know it won't be heady because it'll be extract and the wrong yeast but I'll probably never know the difference because I'll never get my hands in the real stuff.

Something about a pound of flavor and aroma hops make me really want it.

Also I always use 001, us05 and 090 in my IPAs. I wanted to try something a little different.

In what state do you reside

m3n00b said:
I'm in crapifornia.

If you didn't have such a piss poor attitude, I would almost be tempted to send you some. Even though I also am living in misery in Crapifornia. How can you be bitching when you're just miles from The Bruery, by all accounts one of the best breweries in the world?

If you didn't have such a piss poor attitude, I would almost be tempted to send you some. Even though I also am living in misery in Crapifornia. How can you be bitching when you're just miles from The Bruery, by all accounts one of the best breweries in the world?

I don't know how you interpreted that as attitude but It's just what I refer to my state as...been doing it for years. I don't want get into politics here but I promise you I don't have a bad attitude, wasn't bitching and my nickname for this state is well deserved. You need to dial it back a little. You live in a much better part of CA than I. NorCal is awesome. Sure there are a ton of great breweries in this state but that doesnt fix Sacramento. The bruery is great but insanely overpriced.

Anyway....back on topic....I know it won't be heady but I was thinking of either 1968 or us05 fermented in the high 50s to get some of that fruit out of it. Maybe I'll throw in some mosaic to get a little more fruit. Kind of over Citra at the moment.

I'll order some Conan for my next batch. Thanks for everyone's help.

Well then, this raises the question: What is the best widely-available IPA? I'd lean towards DFH60 I guess.

Honestly,

If I could have one IPA all year long, I'd probably slap my money down and just want a bunch of Lagunitas Sucks. That beer is simply everything an IPA should be, IMO.

I can't wait to load my fridge with 32ouncers soon.

honestly,

if i could have one ipa all year long, i'd probably slap my money down and just want a bunch of lagunitas sucks. That beer is simply everything an ipa should be, imo.

+1000000000000

Honestly,

If I could have one IPA all year long, I'd probably slap my money down and just want a bunch of Lagunitas Sucks. That beer is simply everything an IPA should be, IMO.

Its almost that time!!! Love sucks

Well...based on what the lhbs had in stock this is what I came up with. It won't be heady but I hope it'll at least be good.

I'll definitely try the real clone when I get my AG equipment early next year.:mug:

I havent fully setup beersmith so excuse some the inconsistencies...I use it to calculate IBUs,SRM and SG

Imperial IPA
Type: Partial Mash Date: 10/2/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Me
Boil Size: 5.70 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 5 gal pot
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 5.88 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
12.0 oz CaraMalt (12.5 SRM) Grain 1 6.7 %

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 1.88 qt of water at 170.1 F 150.0 F 60 min

Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.70gal, 2.70gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 5.70 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.021 SG
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Pilsen Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 8.9 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 137.9 IBUs
Whirlfloc + Nutrient @10 Minutes
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 20.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
8 lbs extra Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 14 71.1 %

Steeped Hops
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.20 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.081 SG
Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal
Fermentation Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -
12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.7 % after 4 days

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.081 SG)
Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 5.00 gal)
Fermentation
10/2/2013 - Primary Fermentation (21.00 days at 57.0 F ending at 65.0 F)

Dry Hop and Prepare for Bottling/Kegging
Dry Hop/Bottling Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Cold crash to 35 + add gelatin

Measure Final Gravity: _________ (Estimate: 1.015 SG)
Date Bottled/Kegged: 10/16/2013 - Carbonation: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age beer for 30.00 days at 65.0 F
11/15/2013 - Drink and enjoy!
Notes

Well...based on what the lhbs had in stock this is what I came up with. It won't be heady but I hope it'll at least be good.

I'll definitely try the real clone when I get my AG equipment early next year.:mug:

I havent fully setup beersmith so excuse some the inconsistencies...I use it to calculate IBUs,SRM and SG

Imperial IPA
Type: Partial Mash Date: 10/2/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Me
Boil Size: 5.70 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 5 gal pot
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 5.88 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
12.0 oz CaraMalt (12.5 SRM) Grain 1 6.7 %

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 1.88 qt of water at 170.1 F 150.0 F 60 min

Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.70gal, 2.70gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 5.70 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.021 SG
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Pilsen Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 8.9 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 137.9 IBUs
Whirlfloc + Nutrient @10 Minutes
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 20.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
8 lbs extra Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 14 71.1 %

Steeped Hops
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.20 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.081 SG
Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal
Fermentation Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -
12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.7 % after 4 days

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.081 SG)
Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 5.00 gal)
Fermentation
10/2/2013 - Primary Fermentation (21.00 days at 57.0 F ending at 65.0 F)

Dry Hop and Prepare for Bottling/Kegging
Dry Hop/Bottling Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Cold crash to 35 + add gelatin

Measure Final Gravity: _________ (Estimate: 1.015 SG)
Date Bottled/Kegged: 10/16/2013 - Carbonation: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age beer for 30.00 days at 65.0 F
11/15/2013 - Drink and enjoy!
Notes

Don't use whirlfloc or gelatin. Yeast in suspension is classic heady

Very interesting! Really? I gave a buddy of mine my first dipa and warned him that it would be cloudy. He said clear beer sucks. I laughed. It had a ton of hop sediment in it but the taste was really good. It was an imperial version of sculpin.

Very interesting! Really? I gave a buddy of mine my first dipa and warned him that it would be cloudy. He said clear beer sucks. I laughed. It had a ton of hop sediment in it but the taste was really good. It was an imperial version of sculpin.

Yeah and especially true if you actually get Conan yeast. You'll be able to taste that peach character all the more. Pour all that sediment in from the bottle, too. Or, as the alchemist recommends, drink straight from the can (bottle)!

Man this is insane seeing it all laid out. Can't believe all these hops are going into one beer.

ForumRunner_20130915_115510.jpg

m3n00b said:
Man this is insane seeing it all laid out. Can't believe all these hops are going into one beer.

Gandhi Bot (local DIPA) is hoppy as **** and only has 2-3 types of hops.

m3n00b said:
Another one I'll probably never find. Along with zombie dust

It can appear on your doorstep. All you gotta do is ask.

Hmmm, interesting note. I dropped a whirlfloc into my recent attempt without thinking about it. Dropping a whirlfloc in is kind of automatic for me at this point. Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to omit it on the next batch.

BeerGrylls said:
Hmmm, interesting note. I dropped a whirlfloc into my recent attempt without thinking about it. Dropping a whirlfloc in is kind of automatic for me at this point. Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to omit it on the next batch.

I don't honestly see what the whirlfloc would do against the yeast in suspension.. Unless maybe the yeast grab onto the suspended protein particles. I can see maybe not cold crashing or using finings, but everything pre-pitch I can't see as having an effect on suspended yeast. As far as your habit of using whirlfloc, I wish I could develop that.. It's the #1 thing I forget :/

I added the whirl FLOC. I also plan to cold crash and use gel. What I made isn't a heady clone though. I do think it will be my most epic beer yet.

jaydog2314 said:
I used whirlfloc, cold crashed and used gelatin and still have TONS of yeast still in suspension!

Yeah, I got caught up with life and cold crashed mine for about 6 weeks and it still wasn't clear. The Conan doesn't like to drop all the way. Which is weird, because I does ferment very quickly and most of it drops but the rest never does.

Just thought I'd post about my experience with Conan cultured from HT cans. I've made three different batches with the yeast. I don't use gelatin or cold crash - just whirlfloc in the boil. All three of the batches I fermented with Conan have been the clearest I've ever made. Very strange I know. I was particularly surprised on the first one when it came out crystal clear after about 10 days cold in the keg, having observed Heady's cloudiness and heard about how Conan doesn't floc well. I have a RR Blind Pig clone in the kegerator right now that I fermented with Conan. It was also very clear at 10 days, and now after about 3 weeks in the kegerator this stuff looks commercially filtered.

I can't explain it, but I can say that it's very consistent, and that the beers still have a distinct Conan flavor. They've all been absolutely delicious.

Just thought I'd post about my experience with Conan cultured from HT cans. I've made three different batches with the yeast. I don't use gelatin or cold crash - just whirlfloc in the boil. All three of the batches I fermented with Conan have been the clearest I've ever made. Very strange I know. I was particularly surprised on the first one when it came out crystal clear after about 10 days cold in the keg, having observed Heady's cloudiness and heard about how Conan doesn't floc well. I have a RR Blind Pig clone in the kegerator right now that I fermented with Conan. It was also very clear at 10 days, and now after about 3 weeks in the kegerator this stuff looks commercially filtered.

I can't explain it, but I can say that it's very consistent, and that the beers still have a distinct Conan flavor. They've all been absolutely delicious.

I can't recall exactly but I think you got your conan from the same batch as I did. My HT clone has cleared in less than a week after I chilled it. It's not crystal clear yet but it's pretty clear. The pic shows my clone on the left next to a heady I got around 2 weeks ago.

ForumRunner_20130916_152134.jpg

Back