Headed West! near SD...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Well the Marine Corps has given me orders to So Cal. I was out there before for about 9 years, but this was before i started homebrewing. I am wondering if i can get some input from others out that way. I have been ordering stuff from Northern Brewer and Rebel Brewer. I am curious who people use out west since i am guessing that shipping will be more pricey and take longer. Also any info on LHBS would be great. Going to be living somewhere near Oceanside/Temecula/Fallbrook/Carlsbad...somewhere out there anyway. thanks for the input.:mug:

I'm guessing you will be stationed at Camp Pendleton? When I was visiting over there, there were so many Shops to choose from, I think the closest one to you is called Hydro-Brew in Oceanside. My buddy uses that place exclusively, I've been there once and the guy that helped me was a cool guy. Also a lot of good micros/nanos that are close to you. One of the only things I miss about SoCal

Local shops:

Hydrobrew in Oceanside.
Mother Earth in Vista (my favorite)
Smokin' Beaver in San Marcos (?)
Down south is Home Brew Mart (Ballast Point), American Home Brew Supply, The Homebrewer

Google any of them for addresses.

For online purchases, Morebeer is not far and ships fast.

For actual breweries, holy wow, you're in luck... there are dozens in SD that are some of the best around. In North County there's Stone, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, Mother Earth, Iron Fist, Lattitude 33, Pizza Port. Further south is Ballast Point, Green Flash, Rough Draft, and others I'm sure I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

Welcome to So Cal... I have a good friend who's doing is last Marine tour through Pendleton right now... he stops at the Stone store in Oceanside on his way home from work all the time.

Local shops:

Hydrobrew in Oceanside.
Mother Earth in Vista (my favorite)
Smokin' Beaver in San Marcos (?)
Down south is Home Brew Mart (Ballast Point), American Home Brew Supply, The Homebrewer

Google any of them for addresses.

For online purchases, Morebeer is not far and ships fast.

For actual breweries, holy wow, you're in luck... there are dozens in SD that are some of the best around. In North County there's Stone, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, Mother Earth, Iron Fist, Lattitude 33, Pizza Port. Further south is Ballast Point, Green Flash, Rough Draft, and others I'm sure I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

Welcome to So Cal... I have a good friend who's doing is last Marine tour through Pendleton right now... he stops at the Stone store in Oceanside on his way home from work all the time.

Wow! i guess SoCal has exploded with good beer since i left. I dont remember all those places back then. Of course i wasn't homebrewing when i left so that might be part of it.

Yes i will be at Camp Pendleton. This will be my last tour as well as i retire in about 3 years...:ban:

I'm guessing you will be stationed at Camp Pendleton? When I was visiting over there, there were so many Shops to choose from, I think the closest one to you is called Hydro-Brew in Oceanside. My buddy uses that place exclusively, I've been there once and the guy that helped me was a cool guy. Also a lot of good micros/nanos that are close to you. One of the only things I miss about SoCal

Yes i will be at Camp Pendleton. I have heard about Hydro-brew, but that was the only one. i think they opened right before i moved from out there before.

Wow! i guess SoCal has exploded with good beer since i left. I dont remember all those places back then. Of course i wasn't homebrewing when i left so that might be part of it.

Yes i will be at Camp Pendleton. This will be my last tour as well as i retire in about 3 years...:ban:

It's an understatement to say it's exploded. I forgot a few... Hess, Alesmith, and White Labs (yes, the yeast guys - they have a tasting room that is very worth visiting). All three of those are near MCAS Miramar.

The Mad Fermentationist (Google the website, he's a God of sours and strange brews), it currently helping an opening called Modern Times, which I think is near Ballast Point.

I'm sure I'm missing several that are worthy... it seems like something new opens every month.

Best of luck on your retirement tour... Pendleton can be a great place for that.

It's an understatement to say it's exploded. I forgot a few... Hess, Alesmith, and White Labs (yes, the yeast guys - they have a tasting room that is very worth visiting). All three of those are near MCAS Miramar.

The Mad Fermentationist (Google the website, he's a God of sours and strange brews), it currently helping an opening called Modern Times, which I think is near Ballast Point.

I'm sure I'm missing several that are worthy... it seems like something new opens every month.

Best of luck on your retirement tour... Pendleton can be a great place for that.

Thanks for all the info. i am sure to check out all those places. Im assuming there are homebrew clubs out there as well? Are you in one?

Yes Pendleton is a great place to be, will just make it a little more difficult to retire back in PA due to the distance. Both my kids are excited to go back to Cali though!:rockin:

Thanks for all the info. i am sure to check out all those places. Im assuming there are homebrew clubs out there as well? Are you in one?

Yes Pendleton is a great place to be, will just make it a little more difficult to retire back in PA due to the distance. Both my kids are excited to go back to Cali though!:rockin:

I'm sure there are many homebrew clubs in various parts of the city... I'm not a member of any at this point. A buddy (who's also a Marine at Pendleton) and I brew together on occasion, but I've not gotten involved in any formal group.

I'm sure there are many homebrew clubs in various parts of the city... I'm not a member of any at this point. A buddy (who's also a Marine at Pendleton) and I brew together on occasion, but I've not gotten involved in any formal group.

I have never been a member of one either...Normally just me and a buddy that brews will hang out and sometimes brew together. Just wondering about them as i might join one depending on if i find anyone out there that brews. My wife can only take so much of me talking about brewing so she will be happy if i have someone to talk about brewing...:mug:

I have never been a member of one either...Normally just me and a buddy that brews will hang out and sometimes brew together. Just wondering about them as i might join one depending on if i find anyone out there that brews. My wife can only take so much of me talking about brewing so she will be happy if i have someone to talk about brewing...:mug:

Drop me a note when you get in town... based on your retirement timeline, I suspect you and my Marine friend are all about the same age (all with little kids too)... we're all headed to the Stone Anniversary Party in August, and it never hurts to know another brewer, eh?

erich dot rosenberger at gmail dot com

Drop me a note when you get in town... based on your retirement timeline, I suspect you and my Marine friend are all about the same age (all with little kids too)... we're all headed to the Stone Anniversary Party in August, and it never hurts to know another brewer, eh?

I will hit you up when i get there. I wont be there til Prob Jan timeframe though. My kids are actually 15 and 11. I started young...:ban:
You are def right that it is always a good thing to know another brewer!
scott eckert78 at yahoo

I'm in Carlsbad too and hit up hydrobrew and motherearth for my ingredients. I've been to the others down south but for proximity and other LHBS concerns i only go to these two now. However I haven't tried Smokin' Beaver LHBS. Not as much in the Temecula area, that's more BMC country.

New breweries in Vista/Carlsbad/Oceanside that opened up very recently: Indian Joe's, Aztec Brewing, On-the-Tracks Brewery, Belching Beaver, Stumblefoot, Arcana Brewing, Lattitude 33, Oceanside Aleworks, Rip Current, Mother Earth, Off Beat.. i'm probably missing some here too, every month or two i see another news announcement of startup brewery. Exiting times here!

There's also the big boys: Stone (new location in oceanside), Pizza Port (new location in Bressi), Iron Fist. Breakwater Brewing and San Marcos Brewing are always good and there's an Oggi's nearby too.

Cool thanks for more info. Im probably going to be living in Temecula the way it is looking so i guess i will just have to swing by after work or on the weekends then to get stuff...I wonder why there isnt anything in Temecula though? Figured there would be someone out there. That might play into where i end up living...haha

Cool thanks for more info. Im probably going to be living in Temecula the way it is looking so i guess i will just have to swing by after work or on the weekends then to get stuff...I wonder why there isnt anything in Temecula though? Figured there would be someone out there. That might play into where i end up living...haha

Google is your friend! :D

Murrieta is right next to temecula.

http://www.murrietahomebrew.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/murrieta-homebrew-emporium-murrieta

Also:

http://www.temeculahomebrewers.com/

Maybe you can be the spread the craft brew message to the temecula area! But there are a couple up that way:

Bulldog, Black Market, Refuge, Iron Fire, Aftershock, Wiens, Craft, and Brew Ligion
http://www.brewerytoursoftemecula.com/temecula-breweries

I assume you'll be taking Ammunition rd into the base but maybe on a friday you can take the 78 and kill some time in the beer triangle waiting for the traffic to die town. A couple of them are downtown oceanside and you can catch those if you use the main entrance, and Legacy is popping up on the 76 so you can catch that on the way home too.

btw, i forgot the following previously:
Back Street, Karl Strauss, Bagby Brewing, Legacy Brewing, Basement Bar and Brewery, Prohibition Brewing

Maybe you can be the spread the craft brew message to the temecula area! But there are a couple up that way:

Bulldog, Black Market, Refuge, Iron Fire, Aftershock, Wiens, Craft, and Brew Ligion
http://www.brewerytoursoftemecula.com/temecula-breweries

I assume you'll be taking Ammunition rd into the base but maybe on a friday you can take the 78 and kill some time in the beer triangle waiting for the traffic to die town. A couple of them are downtown oceanside and you can catch those if you use the main entrance, and Legacy is popping up on the 76 so you can catch that on the way home too.

btw, i forgot the following previously:
Back Street, Karl Strauss, Bagby Brewing, Legacy Brewing, Basement Bar and Brewery, Prohibition Brewing

Always a good way to kill time after work for sure!:rockin:

in fallbrook across the street from jack in the box on mission rd there is a little local homebrew store called half barrel and is run by my friend brian. very friendly and smart. just a few blocks away from base. not out of the way you can just stop in on your way home from base.

in fallbrook across the street from jack in the box on mission rd there is a little local homebrew store called half barrel and is run by my friend brian. very friendly and smart. just a few blocks away from base. not out of the way you can just stop in on your way home from base.

Yes, I have been out here since the beginning of June. I just today had my 5th brew day since then. I have been to all of the lhbs that I would consider going to. The one in Fallbrook is actually my favorite. With vintners vault being the second, due to location. Good thing I don't need help as the customer service at vintners sucks...haha.

I guess I suck and had forgotten about this thread. I ended up not coming out here until June...long story...
Where do you live and how often do you brew?

Back