Headed To Vermont This Weekend - What Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I'm headed to Manchester, Vermont this weekend and I'm of course wanting to try/buy as many good beers as possible. I'm doubting that I'll be able to snag Heady Topper that far south but let me know if I'm wrong. Any other suggestions/places to try in the area?

I don't know what your time schedule is like but, I would set some aside for Hill Farmstead. I think its consistently the best brewery I've ever visited. Get your five samples and 2 growlers to go, but give yourself enough time to wait in line on the weekends. I'm being honest when I say it is worth waiting an hour or two for the beer, though.

Check the Alchemist's website to find out what days they deliver to restaurants/stores around the area to pick up some Heady Topper. Barre would probably be the closest to Manchester that they regularly deliver to.

Burlington has Zero Gravity and great flatbreads (but kind of far, obviously).

On your way up, stop at Harpoon. You have to pay for the tour, but the last time I was there it was well worth it. They make a lot of their specialty/small batch stuff at the Windsor location so picking up some Leviathan from the source is definitely worth the stop.

Lawson's is always well thought of. If you get to Ludlow there is a beer store that the owner used to go to the brewery every once in a while and pick up some Heady. Since the brewery retail outlet is temporarily closed I would not count on this as an option. Worth a check if you are already in Ludlow. I would highly recommend the Long Trail farmhouse series. We were there last week and it was an IPA series. IMHO the best value in beer.

Obviously getting some toppers is a must their web site has delivery times for stores so you can at least have an idea of were to go closest to you to grab some. Hill farmstead is a great brewery but expect long lines and it's a hike from manchester. oh and it's cash only so don't make the mistake I did. If your doin the brewery tour than you have a bunch of options but I must say If your near waterbury at all stop in the reservoir for some eats they have a impressive selection of beers from all the great Vermont breweries. Prohibition pig next door is great also and they got the heady's on draft.

I am normally not a big fan of "organic" beers, but last time I was in PA, I got hooked on all varieties of Wolaver's, which is brewed in Vermont. In particular, check out their Wildflower Wheat and Oatmeal Stout. Wolaver is the organic brand name of Otter Creek, so definitely check out Otter Creek's stuff as well (Double Dose IPA and RIS)!

The brewery itself is in in Middlebury, VT, about 1.5 hours north of Manchester, but check it out if you see it on tap or in bottles!

Long Tail is another good VT beer I've had in the past, especially their Limbo IPA and Culmination Chocolate Porter.

I find most beers that are labeled "organic" to be more of a marketing ploy where they are charging extra for a beer that doesn't justify it's price.

Wolavers, however, is excellent quality at a fair price point.

There are two breweries in Manchester... Madison and something else. Madison can be hit or miss... Make sure you have breakfast at the Blue Benn... best diner food ever (and bring cash)!

Madison Brewing Co (brewpub), Northshire Brewery, and West Mountain Breweries are in Bennington. It's not Manchester, but it's somewhat close by.

You'll also probably head through Brattleboro? If so, Whetstone Station is a new brewpub there. McNeill's Brewpub has been there forever.

It's a pretty far drive to anything else in Vermont. Southern VT isn't as populated with breweries as Northern VT. If you do drive north, Long Trail, Otter Creek/Shed/Wolavers, Drop-In, and Foley Brothers are all great places to stop and grab some beer.

You're not going to find Heady, Lawsons, or HF there. You *might* find HF Edward on tap at Whetstone Station in Brattleboro.

As far as picking up some bottles, I'd suggest checking out Long Trail Limbo and Otter Creek Citra Mantra. You can probably find those in stores in NJ (maybe even cheaper than in VT).

One to keep your eyes open for is Backacre Beermakers. They are very close to Manchester and only distribute in South VT. Availability at http://www.backacrebeermakers.com/availability.php It's a great sour ale (that I've been told), I've been trying to get a bottle of it for a while, but I don't travel to South VT very often and when I did, I didn't find it.

Interestingly enough, Northshire Brewery is located in Bennington, but Bennington is actually Southshire and Manchester is Northshire. :)

I find most beers that are labeled "organic" to be more of a marketing ploy where they are charging extra for a beer that doesn't justify it's price.

Wolavers, however, is excellent quality at a fair price point.

How is it a ploy? Organic certification is a legal process and certified ingredients often convey a higher price:
Briess Organic 2-Row $2.29
Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt $1.19
Using this example it would cost you 92% more to produce a beer with organic base malt. So, are you saying that the brewers are using certified organic products in a ploy to extort your money? Or, is it the certified organic farms who are in a ploy to extort the buyers of their grains?

As a side-bar I just want to comment that many small farms have made the switch over to organic because it's the only way for them to earn any profit.

Thanks for all of the replies. We arrived this afternoon and I hit Manchester Discount Beverages where I was able to pick up several local bottles and also some stuff from the west coast that doesn't get distribution in NJ. Not sure if we are going to make the 2.5 hour drive north to Heady territory but I'm already happy to have gotten what I have

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back