Headed to Colorado/Wyoming and looking for breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be flying into Denver with the fam. We are leaving the next day to head up the Laramie, I notice the tours at new belgium are already booked that Saturday which is like 4 weeks away :eek: and odells don't start until 1. These are both breweries I wanted to visit, I am hoping to him them on the way back down but are there any other suggestions of good breweries that will be open in the morning for tours on our way up?

On the way down I thought about the great divide too and oskar blues would be cool I am guessing.

Anyways, any tips for the area etc...?

You've already mentioned the ones I know of that are near I25. If you go to ODell's, Fort Collins Brewery is just a block or so away on the same road. No tours that I know of but there are glass windows to see the brewery in their tasting room.

Will you be going through Boulder? Just recently tried Upslope Brown Ale and thought it was really good. They are in Boulder.

You've already mentioned the ones I know of that are near I25. If you go to ODell's, Fort Collins Brewery is just a block or so away on the same road. No tours that I know of but there are glass windows to see the brewery in their tasting room.

Will you be going through Boulder? Just recently tried Upslope Brown Ale and thought it was really good. They are in Boulder.

I don't want to vier off the track too much as my wife is not a beer lover like I am so I am trying to pick ones that are right in our path.

If I got over to boulder, I'd prolly go to avery, just going by what I know though.

If you go to Avery, you could also go to the Boulder BC. I love their Planet Porter.

Will you be going into the Colorado mountains? There are 4 breweries in Summit County, all within 15 minutes of I-70, and 70 min from I-25. Breckenridge, Backcountry (Frisco), Dillon Dam, and Pug Ryan's (Dillon). I don't know about tours, but all 4 are very small, with restaurants, so you might be able to get a quick tour for nothing. Dilllon Dam has a good brown ale always on tap. Breck might have some of their small batch 471 IPA that is very good. I also like their Pandora's Bock and Oatmeal Stout, which are always available.

Further up I-70 are the Gore Range and Crazy Mountain BCs, both in Edwards. I had one of Crazy's at the Vail Big Beer and Barleywine festival, and it was tremendous, but I don't remember the style. :drunk:

Fort collins: Funkwerks.
Denver: Falling Rock Taphouse, Great divide
Boulder: Asher
Springs: Trinity

A couple additional options in Ft Collins, very near to Odells, New Beligum and Ft Collins Brewery are a couple smaller options. No tour to speak of but very cool little places. Coopersmiths is a great brewpub, food is good and the beer is great. About a block from that is a new place, Equinox Brewing...it's attached to my LHBS....I know the owners and staff pretty well. Very cool little place. The beers are great as well and the have a beautiful beer garden in the back, on nice days they open up the doors to the brewery and you can watch them in action. Deffinetley check it out.

+1 equinox... how the hell did I forget about them?!

I absolutely love their business model... a small brewery attached to a "sister business" homebrew store. If you like any beer at the brewery, tell the guys in the homebrew store, and they'll print you off the recipe. F'n awesome!

+1 equinox... how the hell did I forget about them?!

I absolutely love their business model... a small brewery attached to a "sister business" homebrew store. If you like any beer at the brewery, tell the guys in the homebrew store, and they'll print you off the recipe. F'n awesome!

that is an awesome business model I hope I can stop by, we'll see how much beer cation I can get in before the wifey is pushed to the limits. My boy should love all the stuff to look at though.

Do lunch at Falling Rock Tap House (the food ain't half bad) and then pop by Great Divide only a few blocks away. Their tour is usually pretty fun and their beer is great.

I'm just over the hill in Cheyenne. Laramie has a small brewpub named Altitude Chophouse and Brewery that's pretty good. If you veer over here to Cheyenne we also have one called Shadows Pub & Grill which used to be a owned by Snake River in Jackson until the owner & brewer went off on his own.

As for New Belgium, I'd still recommend swinging in. They have a large tasting room and you get a few free samples just by coming by. Like someone else mentioned, Odell's is just down the road along with The Ft. Collins brewery who just moved into their new brewery last fall. FCB is probably also the easiest to get a tour at.

Alot of people don't show up for the tours they made reservations for... Chances are if you went you would get a spot... Ive never been to New Belgium but this has worked at other places.

I will be flying into Denver with the fam. We are leaving the next day to head up the Laramie, I notice the tours at new belgium are already booked that Saturday which is like 4 weeks away :eek: and odells don't start until 1. These are both breweries I wanted to visit, I am hoping to him them on the way back down but are there any other suggestions of good breweries that will be open in the morning for tours on our way up?

On the way down I thought about the great divide too and oskar blues would be cool I am guessing.

Anyways, any tips for the area etc...?

i was just in colorado for a week... the new belgium tour was full but we showed up anyway and got a waiting list. well, it was worth it because they had the best brewery tour of all time!! i say take your chances, but I was there on a tuesday so... also, check out tommyknocker if you get a chance.

Come to think of it, the tour I took at NB was also full but 4 of us got in. It's more in-depth than the Odell's tour (just look at the alotted time for each tour).

Breckenridge brewery in Denver right by Coors field is a nice place to grab lunch. Other spots in Denver would be Wynkoop, Falling Rock, Bull and Bush, Great Divide, Dry Dock. There is also a little place called the Yak N Yeti in Arvada makes a delicious Chai Stout. In FOCO I would try to at least hit O'Dells tap room. The offer free flights with an AHA membership. They usually are much less crowded than New Belgium, if you can catch a tour at NB it is worth it. And as mentioned the Fort Collins brewery is nice. Coppersmiths was pretty good too. I haven't tried Equinox or Funkwerks, but have heard good things. Between Denver is Longmont where you can stop at Oskar Blues, Left Hand and the PUmp House. In the springs make sure to stop by Bristol's tap room. If you had the chance to go to Boulder (recommended) hit up the tour of Boulder beer. That tour is a little lame, but the tasting afterward is more than worth it. They usually set out 8 pitchers of beer for 25 people. Avery is a fun tour as well because the brewery is set up a little differently than the others in the area. Boulder also has twisted Pine, Upslope, and Mountain Sun to name a few. Thats just a few I can think of. Hope your trip is enjoyable and full of hoppy fun.

If you are driving down I-25 to C. Springs, try to stop off at Rockyard Brewing CO. They are right off the highway. Some very good beers are made there ;)

http://www.rockyard.com/

Trinity is a funky little place with a lot of Boulder vibe to it.

Downtown, Phantom Canyon offers hand pulled pints, a great menu and a billiard hall on the second floor.

http://www.phantomcanyon.com/

Bristol Brewing is a bit outside of downtown, but worth the trip http://www.bristolbrewing.com/

thanks for all the great suggestions, I did sign up for a Tuesday tour at New Belgium, it won't be out in time to get a tour at Odells but I want to stop by anyways.

Humann - Boulder Beer Company is worth going to; it's Colorado's first micro - I don't know what kinda tours they offer, but if you haven't had Mojo IPA or Hazed & Infused - you'd like 'em.

http://www.boulderbeer.com/

Also, pick up a 6-er (or more?) of Bristol's Compass IPA (my current favorite commercial IPA) as it's only available in CO: http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp?brs_id=3

While you are in Laramie, I suggest The Library. They have a nice food menu and some pretty good beers. Elmer Lovejoy's and Altitude are also good. They both serve Elmer Lovejoy's beers.

While you are in Fort Collins, send the wife shopping in old town and hit up Equinox. There is plenty for her to do downtown and Equinox has a pretty good range of beers to try.

I would personally recommend the O'dell tour over New Belgium. NB has a cool tour, but everything on the tour is shiny and pretty. O'dells tour has you dodging forklifts and stepping over hoses.

If you're going to be in the Springs, you should go to Rocky Mountain Brewery near Powers and Platte. Its one of my favorite breweries in town. Trinity is my absolute favorite though and is a must visit.

Humann - Boulder Beer Company is worth going to; it's Colorado's first micro - I don't know what kinda tours they offer, but if you haven't had Mojo IPA or Hazed & Infused - you'd like 'em.

http://www.boulderbeer.com/

Also, pick up a 6-er (or more?) of Bristol's Compass IPA (my current favorite commercial IPA) as it's only available in CO: http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp?brs_id=3

cool, thanks, I have had the mojo, not the hazed and confused yet but as you know I got a sixer of the flashback, their india brown ale and that is fantastic

While you are in Laramie, I suggest The Library. They have a nice food menu and some pretty good beers. Elmer Lovejoy's and Altitude are also good. They both serve Elmer Lovejoy's beers.

While you are in Fort Collins, send the wife shopping in old town and hit up Equinox. There is plenty for her to do downtown and Equinox has a pretty good range of beers to try.

I would personally recommend the O'dell tour over New Belgium. NB has a cool tour, but everything on the tour is shiny and pretty. O'dells tour has you dodging forklifts and stepping over hoses.

we did go to the library for a lunch, had their Rye pale and a black IPA. Pretty good stuff

so, I went to find beer in a grocery store and wa sadly disappointed with the whole 3.2 rule here.

So where is the good spot for good Co beer in the springs?

I don't know about the springs, but if you make it up to Ft. Collins there's a liquor store on college called Total Beverage. Their beer selection will make your knees weak.

+1 on Chophouse and Library in Laramie. I lived there for 5 years, and go there every couple months to visit friends and/or work. I always stop at one or the other for a beer or three.

You moving there? Or just passing through?

so, I went to find beer in a grocery store and wa sadly disappointed with the whole 3.2 rule here.

Coaltrain Wine & Spirits http://www.coaltrainwine.com/

If you have the time, head up Hwy 24 to Woodland Park and hit Bierwerks. They reportedly have some really good German beers.

If you are looking for a good store, Colorado Liquor Outlet has the best selections (and price). I've only been to the Briargate outlet. You can also get growler fills from Trinity, Phantom Canyon, Colorado Mountain Brewery. BJ's restaurant and brewery has decent craft beer and awesome pizza.

Oddly, most of the craft brewers are fighting the proposed change in the 3.2 law, as they feel like the bigger grocery chains will drive the liquor stores out of business and the grocers aren't known for carrying craft beers.

Little out of your way but there is one in my hometown of Lander, Wyoming.

Lander Brewing. You can get their beer at any of the three places on the "block". Gannett Grill has great burgers to get with their great beer.

We always fill our growlers before heading up to fish for the week(s) we are out there. mmm Rock Chuck Rye

http://www.landerbar.com/brewing.php

acefaser said:
How about Lefthand Brewery in Longmont?

Anyone here ever had the small batch version of their milk stout? I had it at the Vail Big Beer fest and it smelled and tasted EXACTLY like farts. The guy behind the booth just shrugged and smiled.

I ended up getting the most expensive 6 pack ever the breckenridge 471 IPA and I gotta say I am not impressed for that kind of cash

471.jpg

I'm a little late to the game on this one but as a former resident of Fort Collins and proud CSU alum I'll put in my two cents.

Odells Brewing - Fort Collins (90 Schilling, Cutthroat Porter)
Trailhead Tavern - Fort Collins
New Belgium brewing -Fort Collins (just to see how it can be done)
Falling Rock - Denver
Wynkopop - Denver
Bull & Bush - Denver
Tommyknocker Brewery - Idaho Springs, CO (Awesome Maple Nut Brown)

ok, so I am in the springs now, I hit up Phantom for a quick pint yesterday so I can check that off the list.

For lunch I am thinking either Trinity or Colorado Mountain Brewery. If I can only choose 1, which would it be?

Or something else?

Trinity!!!!

Great beer bar filled with dreadlocks and air force personnel.

The beers they make are more Belgian oriented, but they do keep a decent selection of Colorado IPAs and specialties on tap.

471 is NOT my favorite among Breck's offerings. The Lucky U IPA is tastier. SKA has some really good beers that you shoud be able to find at most places.

Trinity!!!!

Great beer bar filled with dreadlocks and air force personnel.

The beers they make are more Belgian oriented, but they do keep a decent selection of Colorado IPAs and specialties on tap.

471 is NOT my favorite among Breck's offerings. The Lucky U IPA is tastier. SKA has some really good beers that you shoud be able to find at most places.

Should have done more homework on beers to buy. I probably been happier with the lucky u and I went to Trinity. Great place! Had the sampler and the slap your momma iipa and was probably in my top 5 beers

I ended up getting the most expensive 6 pack ever the breckenridge 471 IPA and I gotta say I am not impressed for that kind of cash

471.jpg

I just had this at their restaurant next to Coors Field. It was only $5.50 a pint, and I didn't even realize it was an "imperial" IPA. I was a little sideways after the three pints I had with dinner. :drunk:

Should have done more homework on beers to buy. I probably been happier with the lucky u and I went to Trinity. Great place! Had the sampler and the slap your momma iipa and was probably in my top 5 beers

Slap Your Mammy is a good one for sure. Jason can brew some good Belgian styles too as Wayne mentioned.

If you're up on the north side of town, another good place to hit is Another Pint. It's strictly a pub, but they've got a great selection of beers.

Back