Headache from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr3mblay

Reaction score
got my new kegerator setup with all new beer lines. got a 30L keg from a local brewery and after a couple beer I get a crazy headache. got my psi at 10-12 psi and I let the keg sit for an hour after drinking it

any idea?

Headaches can be caused by a lot of different things. Was it only one time or every time? Just that beer or every beer out of that keg system? You will have to try to switch things up and isolate the cause. Just from experience most headaches are caused by dehydration. 90% of us don't drink enough water, not too mention probably too much alcohol. Could be the beer itself or chemicals associated with cleaning. Could also be working with the CO2. Everyone's body is different and what would cause symptoms in one person won't in another. Try another beer from that keg system, that might give you your first clue if it's the system or the beer itself . Oh and make sure your hydrated ! Hope you figure it out.

1st keg but will post again after a few days and when i try another keg

also, make sure you're using food grade co2.

I never even thought of that. When I read your post I had to do some research into different CO2. I'm setting up a fridge for kegging when the package comes tomorrow with my kit. Long overdue after 4 years of bottling. Anyway I use Airgas as there is a store near my house, I learned the have both food grade and non food grade cylinders. They assured me they give food grade in the 10lb bottles like I have for beer ( had a commercial set up keggerator before so I have the bottle and used to refill it with them).

Hmmm. I never heard of food grade. I thought CO2 was CO2. Maybe not.

Never had a problem with headaches. That is unless I drank wayyyyy toooooo much the night before. Those are just idiotic mistakes at my age.

The slight difference between industrial-grade CO2 and food-grade CO2 is the type of tests that are done to qualify CO2 as beverage or beer gas-grade compared to industrial-grade. Currently, the FDA's requirement for food-grade CO2 a 99.90% purity rating. The other .09% is made up of impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen. Industrial grade CO2 is 99% pure CO2, also containing impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen.

One impurity that all homebrewers should be aware of is benzene. Benzene is a no-no for homebrewers. If the CO2 that you are purchasing has high benzene levels, it will leave you and fellow drinkers with terrible headaches. When I say high levels, we are not talking about much. Benzene is usually an impurity that is referred to in PPB. The benzene level should be around 20 PPB.

Back