Head space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
How much is enough? I have a 2 gallon bucket. Would 1.5 gallon brew be too much? how can you calculate how much headspace is needed.

Determining how much headspace is too much or too little is really difficult as opinions differ and additional factors (type of beer, yeast, etc.).

Too much seems to be a factor for potential oxignization as there is more room for oxygen (if you continually open the fermenter over a period of time and/or transfer to a container that has a excessive amount of oxygen in headspace and ferment for a period of time).

Too little may result in quite the clean up.

I prefer too little to too much. But hey, you'll probably get different opinions.

1.5 gallons in a 2 gallon bucket will be fine. About 25-35% of the batch size as headspace is what I go for. In most batches it's enough to not need a blowoff, although sometimes still not enough and I need to affix a blowoff down the road. If you go less than 25%, that's fine too, but I would affix a blowoff from the start with every batch, period.

Many folks advocate using a blowoff right from the start on all batches period. If you're only using it for primary fermentation, the container size shouldn't be a big deal anyway as long as there's some headspace, as long as it's not a 1 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy (and even then, that might still be ok, not familiar enough with the science to say for sure off the top of my head)

Back