Head Retention is good... but splotchy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBabiesBeer

Reaction score
I recently made a variation on an ESB with some Rye malt in it. The head retention is fine, but there are some cloud-like splotches of foam hanging around... I haven't really experienced it before. Thoughts on what it could be?

It evens out when swirled but still has the small splotches for a bit
20190722_143836.jpeg
20190722_143840.jpeg
20190722_144139.jpeg

That's called "lacing" and isn't a bad thing at all.
I like beers that leave curtains of lace behind :)
The head's likely being parted by rising CO2 bubbles?

Cheers!

I had that with the saison I made back in May. Curious if people know why it happens, but it didn't seem to have any impact on flavor for me.

What you have there is a wonderful thing. On the side of the glass is what is called "lacing." It means you have a combination of useful proteins in your beer and a very clean glass. The little pillows are just where the CO2 bubbles are streaming up from the bottom of the glass. If you're still concerned about it I'll gladly drink 6 of these to prove it ;)

Good lookin' brew my friend!

Y'all know how to flatter a guy. Thanks.

I'll have to play around with the recipe a bit. Ferment temp will clean it up but it's tasty :)

I found this happening more after I started using brewtan B. Better retention but at times ‘splotchy’.

Could be any one of a series of things that act as anti-foaming agent. The most likely culprit is detergent residue on the glass, but could also be oil or fat contamination (possibly from your own fingers).

Could be any one of a series of things that act as anti-foaming agent. The most likely culprit is detergent residue on the glass, but could also be oil or fat contamination (possibly from your own fingers).
If this were the case, it would have happened with all my beers, and it has not.

I'm pretty OCD about rinsing glass before pouring from the tap. I don't always sanitize after washing but I get as close to beer clean glass as possible.

Back