Head Effect of DME Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPBurdell

Reaction score
Does anyone know if priming using DME will cause a low head?

I made my Christmas beer in September and sampled the first one yesterday. Great taste, color and clarity but there was hardly any head at all. There was carbonation but it was rather light. Spent 11 days in the primary, 21 days in the secondary. So far 33 days in the bottle. For this batch I wanted to achieve a soft carbonation so I used a Saison yeast and primed with 1 & 3/4 cups of DME. Use C-Brite for sanitation on all equipment

Based on this info, can anyone speculate as to why the low head?

Head retention is determined more by what is in your wort than what you primed with. High protien grains or high dextrines can contribute to head but the priming medium just determines the level of carbonation. Carbonation and head are not the same. Look at the difference between Spite and rootbeer.

Just to build off Scott's advise, also keep in mind that Saison yeasts tend to work slow, and like high temps. If you're not getting the level of carbonation you want, you might try storing those bottles in a warmer location and give them some more time.

Back