HBT to the rescue! Need Help Quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiewinemaker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I made a Cranberry Malbec Island Mist Kit and today is bottling day. As I am bottling (right now) I am noticing some bubbles. I added sorbate and camben during stabilizing. I degassed too but I don't think I did enough. I am bottling in normal 750ml wine bottles. Do I continue to bottle? Or should I stop add them all back to the carboy and go get a mityvac and degass like hell?

Any suggestions ASAP would be great!

Thanks

Take a sample of the wine and put it in a tall narrow cylinder. A glass, or the hydrometer test tube would be ideal. Put your hand over the opening, and shake it. When you remove your hand, listen for a puff of air.

If you get any "poof" of air, degas more. If not, proceed with bottling.

Thanks Yooper! It is still pretty gassy. I am going to run down to the auto parts store and grab a MityVac to ensure I get it degassed all the way. I don't need bottle bombs! :(

Gas will not cause bottle bombs, refermentation will.

A good stirring is all you need to degas, save your money and put it towards an All-In-One wine pump.

Also can someone tell me the ill effects of bottling a wine that is not fully degassed? Will it spoil over time in the bottle?

Thanks

Also can someone tell me the ill effects of bottling a wine that is not fully degassed? Will it spoil over time in the bottle?

Thanks

A gassy wine just doesn't taste good usually. BUT, I have had a gassy wine pop the corks off when the temperature raised a couple of degrees, making a huge mess in my wine cellar and ruining the wine- so I would not bottle a gassy wine!

Back