HBT NFL '08 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Vince Young story sure is getting weird, but the best NFL story I've heard in a long time is Tetum Bell taking Rudi Johnson's bags from outside Millen's office, then getting busted by surveillance tapes.

What a *******. He'll probably never play in the NFL again.

Colston's out 2-4 weeks. Look for Shockey to start getting a *lot* of looks in the middle of the field from Brees.

Vince Young needs to grow a pair and put his big boy pants on. He's acting more pathetic than A-Rod did/does. I hope he doesn't do anything to harm himself, but he needs to remember he gets paid lots of money to play a game. If he wants to feel good about himself, he can give most of that money to charity. Otherwise, shut up and play...

:sigh:

I remember when Colston first hit the League, Yahoo! had him listed as TE-elibible, since that's where he was projected to play. Picked him up after week 2, kicked so much ass the rest of the season....

Hey like Tatum Bell said, he "ain't no thief, I ain't never been one, and I ain't never going to be one. It was all a misunderstanding." I don't know about the police, but I'm satisfied...:rolleyes:

edit - this sold me though: "I come to found out that the bags weren't whose I thought they was"

Did anyone see the story about Kellen Clemons doing the field goal kicking after the regular kicker hurt his leg on the opening kickoff??

You go from maybe starter QB to Kicker in 2 games.....haha

OK fellas, prediction time. We've seen the preseaon and we've seen 1 regular season game from everyone. It's time to break out the crystal ball(s)... huh huh huh... I said balls. :rockin:

NFCE: Dallas
NFCN: Green Bay
NFCS: Saints
NFCW: Seahawks
Wildcard 1: Carolina
Wildcard 2: Philadelphia

AFCE: New England
AFCN: Pittsburgh
AFCS: Indianapolis
AFCW: Denver
Wildcard 1: Buffalo
Wildcard 2: Baltimore

Superbowl: Colts vs. Cowboys.

It's not a flashy SB pick, and I really hope that it's two totally different teams, but the Cowboys look really good, and Manning will bounce back. Get him in the playoffs and he has an edge on everyone else.

My home division is the NFCN, and I predict that it will happen this way:

Packers 10-6
Vikings 7-9
Bears 6-10
Lions 4-12

I don't know yet about all the divisions, but I think this may well be Dallas' year. Probably the best-balanced team between having a good QB, a good running game, some playmakers, and a very good defense. Green Bay will be better than expected, and I wouldn't be shockled to see the Bears win eight or nine games. Their defense looked really, really good the other night, good enough to keep them competitive if Orton plays *OK* and Forte keeps running strong and they don't shoot themselves in the foot (i.e. Grossman stays on the bench).

Who will be the worst team in the league? St. Louis? Detroit? Cleveland? Oakland? Seattle (if Hasselback has to sit)? I think what'll be most notable about this year is that there are going to be five or six ATROCIOUS teams. I don't see anyone in the AFC that will dominate (maybe Pitt; Denver should win 11 or 12 games as well).

But, it wouldn't shock me to see five or six teams struggle to win three games, and for someone to flirt with 0-16.

It's going to be interesting to see how Atlanta fares this year.....yes, they had 1 good game, but hey, it was against Detroit!!!!

I think they may win 4 or 5 , but for the most part will struggle....

Pittsburgh will have a good year, Denver will have a great year....

St. Louis, Arizona, Detroit, San Francisco, and Oakland will all be near the bottom.....

Dallas should have a good year, a lot depends on how Romo does, and if Jessica keeps mouthing off about how they are going to beat up on everyone....

Being a Giants fan I am already tired of hearing about Dallas and Philly. I can't believe how quickly the giants are being dismissed. On the other hand that is fine by me because when the Giants are supposed to win.... they never do and when they are supposed to lose... they win the super bowl. :ban::D:ban:

But seriously the NFC East looks like it is going to be brutal and I can't wait for the Giants to play Dallas and Philly to see who comes out on top. I have to admit it didn't make me feel to good seeing Dallas and Philly blow their opponents out of the water when the Giants stalled out at half time. But a win is a win and being a Giants fan that is fortunate to make to games I will take that win at home because last year there weren't too many of those.

Being a Giants fan I am already tired of hearing about Dallas and Philly. I can't believe how quickly the giants are being dismissed. On the other hand that is fine by me because when the Giants are supposed to win.... they never do and when they are supposed to lose... they win the super bowl. :ban::D:ban:

But seriously the NFC East looks like it is going to be brutal and I can't wait for the Giants to play Dallas and Philly to see who comes out on top. I have to admit it didn't make me feel to good seeing Dallas and Philly blow their opponents out of the water when the Giants stalled out at half time. But a win is a win and being a Giants fan that is fortunate to make to games I will take that win at home because last year there weren't too many of those.

well, we do have the most brutal division of this year, and I don't think the G-Men are going to do nearly as well as everyone thinks...

However, I think I will reserve judgment till week 4 or so.....

well, we do have the most brutal division of this year, and I don't think the G-Men are going to do nearly as well as everyone thinks...
Just as long as they win this Sunday - I've got them as this week's pick in the HBT Survivor League. GO GIANTS!! :mug:

I had to share this quote because I can't remember the last time a professional athlete said something like this. The quote is from Selvin Young of the Broncos and he is referring to the Broncos splitting the RB duties between 3 backs -

"I like being coachable, I like being a guy that's going to go out and do what's asked of him," Young said after the game. "Today that's what was asked of me and I'm happy with that. We got a great victory."

I'd sure like to see more of this.

+1, Whitlock is excellent. It's no wonder VY is ready to quit and is mortally depressed. People have been telling him he's the bomb and the savior for his entire life.

I don't buy the racial aspect of it, though (of course, I'm whitey and not necessarily in a position to judge). There are plenty of white QBs who have come into the league with great fanfare and been expected to be the next great thing, who furiously self-destructed their way out of the league. I'm thinking of Ryan Leaf and Todd Marinovich as two quick examples. Two players who were absolutely praised and worshipped before coming into the league who were completely unprepared for the pressure of leading an NFL team.

I just don't see race as being an element. Do black quarterbacks still really feel more pressure in the league? That's a point of debate, but I don't see people talk about guys like McNabb in the context of being a black QB; he's a very good, *fragile* quarterback. People hate on Tavaris Jackson not because he's black, but because he sucks. Seven years ago, all of New England clammored for the Patriots to dump the grizzled white veteran and the skinny white kid and give the QB spot to Michael Bishop. I just don't see race being as big an issue with NFL quarterbacks as it was as recently as maybe ten years ago. Guys like McNabb and McNair have definately proven the ridiculousness of judging a QB based on his skin color.

And, if I am wrong, and there is some extra pressure (maybe even self-imposed) - how can someone from the outside say that THAT was the reason Young imploded? These guys face tremendous pressure just leading the team. Some guys are wired to handle it; some guys are wired to THRIVE on it (that's who you want to draft), some guys just can't handle it. Look no further than Tennessee's current starter for an example of a whote QB that, at one point in his career, simply could not deal with the pressures of being The Man.

Just feels like an article written by someone who views everything from the prism of racism (even non-explicit racism).

My home division is the NFCN, and I predict that it will happen this way:

Packers 10-6
Vikings 7-9
Bears 6-10
Lions 4-12

My guess is that Detroit is the team flirting with 0-16. Saying Detroit is going to win four is giving them too much credit. When Marinelli realizes he's not a D-line coach anymore and starts acting like a head coach, we might see some improvement. But, even with his expertise and attention, the D-line still blows...more of the same.:mad:

Unlike Favre who seems to crave attention and just won't go away, I like seeing Vinny come back after "retiring." I've heard that one of his better attributes is picking up new systems quickly. To go from eating potato chips on the couch to starting at QB in a week, well that's just an entertaining story.

...I love how the refs just handed the colts 6 points today when addai ran it from like the 1 yard line. The ball wasn't even f*n close to breaking the plane, they call TD...and they uphold it even after a challenge. What a load of sh*t

...I love how the refs just handed the colts 6 points today when addai ran it from like the 1 yard line. The ball wasn't even f*n close to breaking the plane, they call TD...and they uphold it even after a challenge. What a load of sh*t

SD feels the same way.

Who just watched the SD Bronco's game?? Thatw as awesome, even thought SD got robbed ont hat call where Cutler fumbled the ball on the 10......I still don;t understand how they ruled that....I remember hearing about the whistle blowing I think....But it was an awesome game!!!! I had both QB's on my Fantasy team!!!!

<---------------- = FAIL!

With the first selection in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select...

:mad::mad::mad:

.... another wide receiver!

Hopefully the new GM and Head Coach aren't as stupid as Millen. :drunk:

If they lose to SF this Sunday, it's time to throw Drew Stanton into the fire after the bye week to see what the kid can do. That way they know if they need to spend that #1 overall pick next year on a QB.

What a crappy football weekend for me both the suckeyes and the liedowns got pounded.

Wait a minute, why are they going to fire Millen now? I haven't missed something, have I? Millen's not collecting unemployment, is he? If he hasn't been fired yet, what difference would an 0-16 season have?

No, he hasn't been fired... just wishful thinking on my part.

When Marinelli was hired I guessed that he'd have 3 years to prove himself. So far his 3rd year is a big turd.

Unless they manage to come out of this year with 7+ wins, I think that Millen may finally get the axe, and Marinelli will be out the door with him.

what are everyone's predictions for MNF? I'm screwed either way...my fantasy implications are rooting for the cowgirls, but IRL I am rooting for the Eagles

Heart hopes for an Eagles win; money would be on Dallas though especially at home.

I need McNabb to have under 11 points to beat the_bird in ffb, but I can't bring myself to cheer for the Cowboys. I freaking hate the Cowboys.

I've got to root for Philly, mostly because I need McNabb to go off again (if he throws for 2 TDs, I'll probably win as long as there are no interceptions). Dallas is really good on both sides of the ball, so I'm not counting on that - and that is magnified by the injuries that Philly's endured with their wideouts. Lots of guys stepped up in week 1, but I bet it's a different story this week.

'Brewtus, don't forget I've got DeMarcus Ware playing tonight, too. If he gets six or seven tackles, I just need McNabb to go for one TD and not do anything stupid. I've got a bad feeling, though...

EDIT: This is f'ed up. Yahoo! projects McNabb and Ware to combine for 11.23 points tonight (I don't get why QB points are so much lower this year than last, but that's beside the point).

I need 11.40 points to tie.

GAME ON!

'Brewtus, don't forget I've got DeMarcus Ware playing tonight, too. If he gets six or seven tackles, I just need McNabb to go for one TD and not do anything stupid. I've got a bad feeling, though...

EDIT: This is f'ed up. Yahoo! projects McNabb and Ware to combine for 11.23 points tonight (I don't get why QB points are so much lower this year than last, but that's beside the point).

I need 11.40 points to tie.

GAME ON!

I'm sure I'm screwed either way. Last week olllllo beat me by .13 friggin points. :D

Back