HBT Forum rules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madscientist451

Reaction score
A discussion about the way HBT furum rules were being enforced was started.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584540

And then the thread was closed. It looks like someone doesn't want any questions asked about what the rules actually are.
The last entry in the thread was:

HBT prohibits discussion of marijuana and distillation process. Marijuana is still considered illegal at the Federal level, no matter what some states have voted to allow.

Does anyone know where the specific rule that applies to the above statement can be found? I can't find any written rule that specifically prohibits discussion of any specific topics.

I believe the question about why some subjects are "taboo" is a valid one.
I can find only a brief reference in the forum rules that talks about sending messages that may be "illegal":

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

I agree that the above rule is a good one. However, the rule above doesn't specifically prohibit discussions about distilling or using cannabis.
Its 100% legal in the USA to discuss the above topics.
I think a logical definition of a message that "violates" laws would be one that threatens someone or is designed to intentionally harass someone (both of those messages are illegal in most places).

The first amendment to the US Constitution specifically protects freedom of speech and the US Supreme Court has provided many free speech decisions over the years and has generally reaffirmed free speech rights. Protected speech would include messages typed on an internet forum. Merely talking about a subject doesn't make any specific speech "illegal" except in certain narrow circumstances.
Having said all that, any forum can have whatever rules that are deemed appropriate.
I just can't find any rules that prohibit discussions of any specific topics.

So if anyone knows where the forum rules are that specifically prohibit discussions about distilling or using cannabis in beer, please put your answer in here. Thanks.

OK thanks, yup its #2.

2. Discussions on distillation, or any other illegal activity (marijuana) are not permitted as per Texas Law.

So the next question: Is forum rule #2 outdated and should it be changed?

I believe that, w/r/t freedom of speech, you are perfectly within your rights to start your own forum on the internet and "speak" whatever you'd like on there.

Since you'd be the one paying the freight, you'd also have the right to decide what is appropriate on your forum and what is not.

The general rule on internet forums is this: the owner makes the rules. Don't like them, you can either abide by them, or leave and start your own forum.

You have the freedom to speak; you don't have the freedom to force others to listen to it, or provide a platform for it.

PS: I don't know the "freedom of speech" rules everywhere else, so this may not be applicable in places outside the US.

OK thanks, yup its #2.

2. Discussions on distillation, or any other illegal activity (marijuana) are not permitted as per Texas Law.

So the next question: Is forum rule #2 outdated and should it be changed?

It's not outdated as long as those things are illegal. Any further discussion is completely pointless. For that reason (and not because I'm a nazi) I'm closing this thread. The rule, as you can see, couldn't be more plainly written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back