Helles Bock HBT BJCP comp winning Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled this today. I know, it's a little late, but I will drink a bottle of it before the end of May. Lol The color is clear and beautiful after 6 weeks of lagering. And the sample tasted really good. I can't wait for it to carb up. :)

Thank you for the recipe! :-D

Tonedef131 said:
This recipe won 3rd place of all Lagers in the 2009 HBT BJCP competition. The best way to do this style is to brew it in like January or February and lager it till the grass is green again. I didn't know it before brewing this beer, but Maibock is one of my favorite beers to drink. I entered this in the Indiana State Fair Brewers Cup and it won first place in Bock category by beating out the Eisbock that took 1st place at nationals. Maibock Mailbock/Helles Bock Type: All Grain Date: 1/13/2009 Batch Size: 6.00 gal Brewer: Kyle Alberda Boil Time: 90 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 % 6.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 40.00 % 3.00 lb Light Munich Malt (6.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 % 2.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU 1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 8.0 IBU 1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.066 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.66 % Bitterness: 29.0 IBU Calories: 298 cal/pint Est Color: 6.5 SRM Single Infusion 60 min Mash at 156.0 F
Solid recipe. I did this back in February and lagered for six months. I did a second runnings on the mash and added two lbs of dme to the boil. I collected 4 gallons or so for the 90 min boil. I switched up the hop schedule too. 1 oz hallertauer for 60 mins, .5 oz saaz @ 20 mins, .5 oz saaz @ 5 mins. I used else 830 for yeast. It came out pretty good.
Has anyone done a second runnings on this recipe?

I'm getting tired of my Maibock recipe. I think I'll try this. It's similar, but has a lot more Vienna in it than mine. I just ordered the Wyeast 2487 (Hella BocK) to try in this.

I'm getting tired of my Maibock recipe. I think I'll try this. It's similar, but has a lot more Vienna in it than mine. I just ordered the Wyeast 2487 (Hella BocK) to try in this.

Let us know how the hella bock yeast is. I'm gonna run out and get some.

I go to Michigan State....and I love to drink!!!!!

What Grains and % were you using in your Maibock?

I cant control temperatures that well in my brewing shack.. but i think im able to hold a steady 10c. Would that affect the taste allot? Ive screwed 20l of beer due to high temp.

I cant control temperatures that well in my brewing shack.. but i think im able to hold a steady 10c. Would that affect the taste allot? Ive screwed 20l of beer due to high temp.

If you can hold at 10 Celsius (50 F), you should be good to go. Just make sure you can hold that temp and not have temperature swings. You don't want to have your beer having big temp swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well... the shatty ting is i cant controll it at all.. it depends on how warm it gets outside....

When I started doing lagers I wasn't set up with any kind of temperature control so after my primary fermentation was done I would lager it in a tall cooler filled with water and I kept switching out some ice jugs each day. It kept the temp really steady at about F36° It was a little more work but the results were fantastic. :)

When I started doing lagers I wasn't set up with any kind of temperature control so after my primary fermentation was done I would lager it in a tall cooler filled with water and I kept switching out some ice jugs each day. It kept the temp really steady at about F36° It was a little more work but the results were fantastic. :)

I think he was talking about primary fermentation temps.

Let us know how the hella bock yeast is. I'm gonna run out and get some.

I go to Michigan State....and I love to drink!!!!!

I was fermenting at 50* and after a week it stopped at 1.032 (taken with a refractometer and corrected with Beersmith). It was about time to do a diacetyl rest anyhow so I raise the temp to 62* and it started fermenting again (as evidenced by pretty healthy bubbling through the airlock). I haven't taken a second reading yet.

EDIT - I measured it tonight and the refractometer says 1.023. Hopefully it will drop a few more points.

It's a great time to be a Spartan (but, then again, it always is)!

It should drop down to the mid teens. You might want to oxygenate it better next time. Do you use yeast nutrient in your boil or yeast starter?
Sparty on!

It should drop down to the mid teens. You might want to oxygenate it better next time. Do you use yeast nutrient in your boil or yeast starter?
Sparty on!

It was oxygenated and a huge starter, around 5 liters total (in two stages). I use nutrient in the starter, but not the boil. It started up fine. It's down to 1.021 now. I raised the temp to 65*. Hoping for three more points.

this is going to my first attempt at a lager now that i have a refrigerator and thermostat control set up for it. i read through the post but didn't see exactly how long everybody was fermenting before bumping up for the diacetyl rest. is it a week? do you gradually raise it to 60 degrees or can you just crank it up? I feel like a noob asking this but since its my first lager i technically am, so forgive my ignorance.

also, just curious if any body built up water for this and can recommend a profile. my tap water sucks and i'd like to do this recipe justice.

thanks

I ferment for two weeks and ramp up to 66 degrees over a couple of days. I transfer and slowly bring down to 35 degrees over about five days. I started lagering my maibock back in late November. This should be ready by May, the traditional maibock season.
I hope this helps.

Brewed 11 Gallons of this yesterday. Nailed the 1.066 OG. my basement is a steady 50 deg F right now so I will ferement there for 2 weeks, then lager in Corny kegs for 6-8 weeks. Pretty pumped for this one!

I really want to give this recipe a try. I am in South Africa and for some reason the variety of lager yeasts is very limited at our HBS's.

My options are Marzen Lager Yeast (liquid) see here

Or Saflager 34/70 - I am not sure whether to go with this yeast or not, I have read such mixed reviews about it. I also had a very uninspiring batch with it myself, but that was my third brew and I think I know what went wrong.

Our HBS stock most of the fermentis, lallemand and saflager yeast, so those options are open to me.

There was a beer on the market in South Africa for a short time that was a maibock brewed with a weiss yeast. I only discovered as I was writing this that the beer is off the market - it was a really good beer so am surprised to see its not on the market anymore. That (weiss yeast) could be an option too?

Another option I can think is to get a Rogue Ale and try harvest some pacman, but given the beers have travelled a long way and I have very little experience in harvesting yeast I am reluctant to try this option.

If you can find the wl 833 bock yeast, go with that. Otherwise, I would go with the saflager 34/70. It's a pretty versatile yeast strand. That's just my opinion though.
On a side note, I did a rooibos blonde ale that was awesome. It should go over well in South Africa!

I'm sure the liquid yeast should be just fine. Just make sure you reuse the yeast many times. In a lager, I have found that yeasts don't have a difference in taste as pronounced as in ales.

The beer I brewed with this recipe turned out pretty good. It reminds me of the Bocks I drank last fall in Bamberg. The next time I brew this, the only change I will make will be to drop the mash temperature to 154 instead of 156. I'd like it to ferment out just a bit more.

Wow - i have a batch in the fermenter. I used 34/70 and tasted it last week - tastes so good! It is pity pilsner and vienna are so expensive here otherwise I would make a truck load of this stuff!

I am excited to get this in the bottle and lagered.

I have measured the ABV at 7% [although I am not sure I am using my refractometer correctly]. Brix at the moment is 7 so it should come out pretty dry, which is perfect in my mind.

Holy holy holy! Trying my first bottle of this! Liquid GOLD. This is my kinda beer!

Is there anyone out there?:)

I have made two batches of this. The first is spectacular, the second one needs to dry out a lot still - which got me thinking: if you lager this and then keg it, does it dry out properly?

I bottle condition for a month, during which the beer dried out nicely. I don't keg so don't know what happens, but would imagine it does not dry out out if kept at low temperatures.

I will be brewing this beer next sunday... I intend on using dry yeast s-34/70 for 12 gallons of this. 2 sachets per 6 gallons as extra insurance.
Also I will be mashing at 154... I'd prefer for this one to finish out a tad bit dryer than the OP's recipe. Would like to see a 1.014 FG on this one.

Brewed and came in at 1.070, so I think I'm getting a bit better brewhouse efficiency then the OP. Also I did mash at a lower temperature.

Pitched at 50*F and am fermenting at 47*F. I'll leave it be for 3 weeks and see where we end up at.

I think I'm going to try this recipe out today but will use some Wyeast Oktoberfest yeast I have laying around. Am I missing something or is the fermentation simply 14 days at 50F? No ramping up for diacetyl rest? How long should it lager ofr?

I think I'm going to try this recipe out today but will use some Wyeast Oktoberfest yeast I have laying around. Am I missing something or is the fermentation simply 14 days at 50F? No ramping up for diacetyl rest? How long should it lager ofr?

@guitarguy6. This was a pretty old post, so I'm wondering if bowtiebrewery is even watching anymore. For my first lager, I went ahead and did a Märzen and sort of followed Brulosopher's lagering profile using my STC1000+, which has a 5 day diacetyl rest at 67*F. It just came out of the rest and is now ramping down to 33* for a 5-10 day lager before kegging.

A friend bought the Bock from this place in Germany for me

One batch of this maibock (as in the recipe on this thread) i made last year was undercarbed (I thought) but it tasted almost identical to the bock from the place above.

@beardandbutter. It worked great! After it came out of the rest and started going down, I added gelatin @ 45°, then let it lager for a couple of weeks at 36°F, then put it on 10psi to start carbing. To be totally honest, it was sort of a semi-lager because I kept hitting it for samples. I'll be d@mned if the samples didn't keep getting better and better until the keg was gone! :D I've got a Bock going now, and I've adjusted the D-rest to down to 3 days @67°F because I didn't detect any diacetyl, so I think it should be enough time for the yeast to clean up. We'll see. BTW, two very big thumbs up for the STC1000+. I love it and have already built my own profiles.

Back