HBS competition recipe - need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegcitybrewer

Reaction score
So my LHBS is putting on a competition to create their next house kit. The winner will get free kits for a year.

The rules of the competition are that it must be extract , has to be 5 gallons, and that the ingredients must be easy to source.

most of their kits are American ales, lagers, and ipas, I think they have a wheat a pils and a cali common too.

They also seem pretty big on throwing unique twists on classic styles, so I was thinking of going with an ESB but trying to add a slightly unique twist, nothing too serious.

Here's what I was thinking off the top of my head, I haven't plugged this into anything to see how the recipe actually works out so its just a rough draft.

ESB 1.0:

7.05lb light LME
1lb crystal 20
.5lb crystal 120
.5lb Victory

1.5oz Northern Brewer 60 mins.
.5oz Northern Brewer 10 mins.
1.0oz East Kent Goldings 5mins.

S-04 just to keep it simple for the kits
I added victory just to make up for the lack of pale ale malt, get that nutty biscuitty goodness.

Let me know what you would keep and what you would change

thanks so much for your help!

Now I'm wondering if this is unique enough? should I make it a bit bigger/ add a splash of dark malt? Or maybe go with a darker english style? I really want to win, just want to keep it as simple as possible yet still have it stand out.

just throwing this thread back to the top of the list again, just to see if I can get any traction.

I'd substitute the C-120 with some Special B. That's a pretty common malt, I think. Gives the same darkness but isn't as astringent, gives the beer some nice raisiny/pruny complexity.

I've never used Special B so it never occured to use it. good thanks for the suggestion I'll do that.

Back