Hazy/Juicy/NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't like Firestone's Mind Haze much. Tasted too tart. It almost seemed like they didn't want to fully commit to the super juicy NEIPA style so made it kind of juicy(tart) and bitter. I guess that was their take on the style. I like both styles but I want my west coast IPAs bitter and piney/citrus and my NEIPAs super saturated with hop flavors. There's a lot of bad NEIPAs out there. I've realized that even more since I've started making them and I like so many commercial varieties less than mine.

I didn't like Firestone's Mind Haze much. Tasted too tart. It almost seemed like they didn't want to fully commit to the super juicy NEIPA style so made it kind of juicy(tart) and bitter. I guess that was their take on the style. I like both styles but I want my west coast IPAs bitter and piney/citrus and my NEIPAs super saturated with hop flavors. There's a lot of bad NEIPAs out there. I've realized that even more since I've started making them and I like so many commercial varieties less than mine.

I’m surprised you find it bitter.

I’m surprised you find it bitter.

Not extremely bitter, just something about it was off too me. The best Hazy/NEIPAs I've had in Virginia from Veil, Triple Crossing, Ocelot etc have virtually no bitterness yet also aren't overly sweet. Just soft, juicy hop saturation. Mind Haze was far from that to me. But like I said there's lots of very mediocre ones out there now since their popularity has exploded and every brewery is trying to do one.

I'm not big on hoppy beer, but wanted to brew a crowd-pleaser. I asked a buddy to help me build a recipe for an east coast-meets-west coast IPA, and added some grapefruit. Everyone who's tasted it loves it.

It was an extract, so I clouded it up with some flaked wheat in the steep.

I did a full 60 minute boil with Cascade. We added lactose for a more juicy mouthfeel. Then added more Cascade and Mosaic at flameout.

Two weeks in the primary before I added the grapefruit puree, then another 10 days to flavor.

Force-carbed and on tap now. Thirsty just thinking about how well it turned out!

Latest posts

Back