Hazy IPAs, Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty good one too

Attachments

• 20180920_181327.jpg
    20180920_181327.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
Low bitterness? Where'd you get that from?
In its heyday West Coast IPA was all about who could fit the most IBUs into a bottle. Total throw-weight battle...

Cheers!

Indeed. Just because the IBU number is high doesn’t make it overly bitter. I use 1/2 of of Warrior for bittering and use about 2 1/2 of of a nice high AA hop/hops for a flavoring and aroma addition getting around 100 IBUs, along with a healthy whirlpool and dry hop. Mine aren’t bitter at all, but are the hop bombs much like a west coast style, whereas some others are more malty and have a more prominent bitter and lesser hoppiness.

I’ve also tried one no bittering IPA with an equal 30, 20, 10, and 5 min addition with dry hop, but it was oddly missing the bittering. I didn’t care for it and so fellows here on this forum advised me on the small bittering and huge late additions to achieve the west coast profile.

Couchsending, I'm with you on where the haze comes from. I was just under the impression that the pros were using whirlpool hops significantly. Thats why I asked for sources because it's interesting to learn more.

It’s based on comments from Nate and JC, and other brewers who’s beer I respect. Basically that they’re pulling hops from WP and adding them to the DH instead. If you’re going to add huge DH additions it has a more pound for pound impact on the final beer than that same amount in WP.

There are so many variables that go into perceived bitterness. You could have a beer with a much higher perceived bitterness with only WP additions below 170 vs ones with piles of hops added throughout the boil. Water, pH, pitch rate, process all come into play.

I had the New Belgium version and wondered why this has been a fad. To me the overall flavor of the beer is as murky as the beer itself. It seems to defy what an IPA is supposed to be. Looking over their ingredients I assume it has to be The Hefeweizen yeast. So what’s the big deal about?

Whatever the new popular beer style is someone will say "I don't get it". Not long ago people were saying the same thing about West Coast IPAs. If you don't like a beer style don't make it, don't drink it, don't whinge about it. I don't like Saisons, sours, or high gravity beers. My solution is to not drink them.

Use any yeast you want. It doesn't matter. Actually, use any malt also. Or no malt. You wont taste anything past the hops. Hazy, juicy, whatever the cool buzzword is this week, its simply bile. Also known as a pheromone used to attract neck beards, dreadlocks and man buns.

Hazy brews help remind me how much I appreciate a well made beer. When I'm feeling in a rut, I have a hazy and remind myself that there are really crappy brews out there and further appreciate all of the steps involved in a proper brews.

I couldn’t catch any notes of cloves or bananas, but then maybe it was well masked by the hops.

As suggested maybe I should try someone else’s, though I still don’t understand the attraction to a cloudy IPA. I have two more left. Next time I’ll see about posting a pic. It’s much more murky than a typical wheat beer.
If you get a chance to try Mikkellars Windy Hill series it might make more sense to you. I definitely wouldnt judge entire genres of beer off of New Belgium examples.

The idea is to leave a lot of the sediment suspended in the beer. The dead yeast and hop sediment leave a lot of juiciness and almost creamy mouth feel. There are now unfortunately breweries that take shortcuts, such as using flour to cloud the beer or adding orange juice to crate the juiciness.

Find breweries known for hazies and u'll get a better idea of what they're supposed to be like. Mikkellar makes stellar ones. They definitely aren't for everyone though, you still might not like it at the end of the day. They were just a new "thing" for breweries to do and play around with, much like the new "Brut IPA" is becoming the new wave. At least in southern California.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Home Brew mobile app

Last edited:
I personally like the style, it's the only IPA I enjoy. The normal West Coast IPA way to bitter for me, I don't enjoy that spicy bitterness. The aroma and flavour of a NEIPA is enjoyable.

The idea is to leave a lot of the sediment suspended in the beer. The dead yeast and hop sediment leave a lot of juiciness and almost creamy mouth feel.

Actually that’s not the idea but unfortunately that’s what people think it needs to be which is why so many suck. The best ones have been spun out by many a lab to find very little yeast. And the haziness shouldn’t be what has the impact on mouthfeel.

Last edited:
Whatever the new popular beer style is someone will say "I don't get it". Not long ago people were saying the same thing about West Coast IPAs. If you don't like a beer style don't make it, don't drink it, don't whinge about it. I don't like Saisons, sours, or high gravity beers. My solution is to not drink them.

No doubt. However this is supposed to be a style of IPA. As I’ve learned here from those who’ve responded many don’t understand what it should entail and do terrible things to achieve this haze. They’ve made a terrible rendition of the style, and I’m apparently not the only one that doesn’t get it when it comes to those examples. Heady Topper is one I’ve had and thought was good. It doesn’t rate high for me, but then I rate IPAs (other than British) on the same scale.

Actually that’s not the idea but unfortunately that’s what people think it needs to be which is why so many suck. The best ones have been spun out by many a lab to find very little yeast. And the haziness shouldn’t be what has the impact on mouthfeel.
Interesting... I learned that from one of the cellarmen that work at stone brewing... And the best hazies I've had have had an immense amount of sediment at the bottom of the cans. But I am always looking to learn more. What makes them "hazy" then?

Interesting... I learned that from one of the cellarmen that work at stone brewing... And the best hazies I've had have had an immense amount of sediment at the bottom of the cans. But I am always looking to learn more. What makes them "hazy" then?

From what I understand it is adding the dry hops when the fermentation is still active, usually at high krauzen. This results in bio transformation of the hops that leaves the beer "hazy"

21B is a catchall category not a NEIPA specific category.

Ahem.

It's exactly the reason 21b was created as a category. 21b is not a "catchall category".

If you enter NEIPA into any other category, the judges will (or should, if they're a halfway knowledgeable judge) say it should've been entered in 21B. So, yes, it has a recognized BJCP category.

FB_IMG_1518375777602.jpg

It’s based on comments from Nate and JC, and other brewers who’s beer I respect. Basically that they’re pulling hops from WP and adding them to the DH instead. If you’re going to add huge DH additions it has a more pound for pound impact on the final beer than that same amount in WP.

There are so many variables that go into perceived bitterness. You could have a beer with a much higher perceived bitterness with only WP additions below 170 vs ones with piles of hops added throughout the boil. Water, pH, pitch rate, process all come into play.

This is great. Go on.....

Do your research... no one told me I’ve had to figure it out for myself through reading, understanding, and making slight tweaks to process every time.

What variable has an affect on bitterness and for some part haze that could be modified to affect both in a way that would benefit this style?

It's exactly the reason 21b was created as a category. 21b is not a "catchall category".

If you enter NEIPA into any other category, the judges will (or should, if they're a halfway knowledgeable judge) say it should've been entered in 21B. So, yes, it has a recognized BJCP category.

View attachment 589148

No, it is not a NEIPA specific category. 21b includes Belgian IPA, Black IPA, Brown IPA, Red IPA, Rye IPA and White IPA. NEIPA has no specific place in the BJCP style. If you heard Gordon Strong actually speak about the subject you would hear him explain that 21b is a catchall to hold all the fast developing IPA sub styles like NEIPA. But it is not specifically for NEIPA.

How is 21B not specific?

LOL... because 21B includes Belgian, Black Brown, Red, Rye and White IPA. They are all specifically mentioned in the official 2015 BJCP style guidelines. Look them over. I've attached the PDF below. You know what you WON'T find listed? Take a guess.

HOWEVER! This was just posted today... literally between my last post and this one. An article that was just published an hour ago by Beersyndicate.com titled "The Six New Beer Styles of 2018". http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/six-new-beer-styles-2018/

The first paragraphs state:
"It was revealed at the 2018 National Homebrew Conference by Gordon Strong, current president of the Beer Judge Certification Program, that six beer styles are on the verge of being officially canonized into the defacto authority on beer styles, the BJCP Beer Style Guidelines.

Technically these new beer styles aren’t exactly new, nor have they yet been formally inducted into the BJCP Beer Guidelines as fully-fledged beer styles because the guidelines are only revised every five years or so. This means that until the next revamp of the guidelines occurs, these “new” beer styles are considered “provisional” and may be subject to revision.
"

So the answer to NEIPA being an official BJCP style... which was the original statement I commented on... is no, it is not. And to answer my reply to you whether 21b is for NEIPA the answer is also no, it is not. 21b is for all those currently un-catagorized IPA variants.

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Hazy NIEPA is like thicc booty. If you hafta ask why, it ain't meant for you.

...An article that was just published an hour ago by Beersyndicate.com titled "The Six New Beer Styles of 2018". http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/six-new-beer-styles-2018/

1. New England IPA: Generally an American IPA but with intense fruit flavor and aroma, soft body, smooth mouthfeel...

Seems the BJCP and I are aligned on this style..

Why? Because I says so that's why.
Also biotransformation.
But as with all fads done people will jump in with a load of rubbish... Most people in fact.
Mediocrity is normalcy

Why are we asking "Why" in the first place? It should be "Why not?" Isn't the point of the homebrew game to do whatever the fark you want regardless of what is hot on the market right now?

For sure. But then it’s not a good thing when what you’re left with is tainted, right? Kind of like a sour or some such.

I had no clue Heady Topper was a haze IPA. It has plenty of hop flavor/character and it’s not hard whatsoever to understand that it’s an IPA. But to make an IPA that has a hop character such as New Belgium’s version has one wondering what it’s supposed to be. The way the hop character is melded into the beer does not give one the impression of an IPA. It tasted more like a mistake. If some people like it that’s great. And that some don’t is typical. As many have stated they aren’t doing the style justice by doing what they are doing it would seem.

Ultimately, figuring New Belgium puts out descent beers, I assumed this was a properly made hazy IPA. Obviously there are ones out made that don’t make you wonder if it belongs in the IPA category.

Heady is a hazy IPA although not extreme by todays standards. Greg and John created their first hazy beers at the VPB in the mid 90's. Fast forward to maybe 2003 or so to the Alchemist Pub where Heady premiered. It gains popularity with beer drinkers in NE. Other NE breweries follow suit but build on the haze and murk and the style gets more and more cloudy. Now in my opinion certain breweries just focused on the haze and not the flavor. (Hill Farmstead wasn't one of these, Shauns beers have a softer pillowy feel) It was a rush to see "How hazy can we get this beer?" so now you have beers in the style that are complete murk because thats what they thought the consumer wanted IMO). I dont believe that Greg and Johns main focus was to create the haziest brew, just ones that tasted the best.

Last edited:
For sure. But then it’s not a good thing when what you’re left with is tainted, right? Kind of like a sour or some such.

I had no clue Heady Topper was a haze IPA. It has plenty of hop flavor/character and it’s not hard whatsoever to understand that it’s an IPA. But to make an IPA that has a hop character such as New Belgium’s version has one wondering what it’s supposed to be. The way the hop character is melded into the beer does not give one the impression of an IPA. It tasted more like a mistake. If some people like it that’s great. And that some don’t is typical. As many have stated they aren’t doing the style justice by doing what they are doing it would seem.

Ultimately, figuring New Belgium puts out descent beers, I assumed this was a properly made hazy IPA. Obviously there are ones out made that don’t make you wonder if it belongs in the IPA category.

I think, like plenty of threads here on HBT this is the crux of it. Subjectivity. What is a mistake or what is what it was "supposed" to be? And how can "the way the hop character is melded into the beer" not give the impression of an IPA? If these are the foundations for you thinking it is "tainted" I just think that is extreme phrasing. Tainted (to me) is you take a drink of the beer and have to spit it out or get sick or something not "my idea of the style they use to describe this beer is slightly different" or something along those lines. If Voodoo Ranger is the beer you are referencing I would challenge anyone to not recognize it as "hop forward" like an IPA even if you don't like the flavor etc.

I think, like plenty of threads here on HBT this is the crux of it. Subjectivity. What is a mistake or what is what it was "supposed" to be? And how can "the way the hop character is melded into the beer" not give the impression of an IPA? If these are the foundations for you thinking it is "tainted" I just think that is extreme phrasing. Tainted (to me) is you take a drink of the beer and have to spit it out or get sick or something not "my idea of the style they use to describe this beer is slightly different" or something along those lines. If Voodoo Ranger is the beer you are referencing I would challenge anyone to not recognize it as "hop forward" like an IPA even if you don't like the flavor etc.

A Pilsner is hop forward as well in a sense.

An IPA shouldn’t have a muddied hoppiness. In no other style of IPA have I encountered what New Belgium has done, and I’ve had a tremendous number of them. The flavors that dominate aren’t the hops. It’s all muddied with nothing defining it.

21B: Specialty IPA:

Overall Impression
Recognizable as an IPA by balance-a hop-forward, bitter, dryish beer-with something else present to distinguish it from the standard categories. Should have good drinkability, regardless of the form. Excessive harshness and heaviness are typically faults, as are strong flavor clashes between the hops and the other specialty ingredients.”

They failed in this regard. Maybe you haven’t tried it?

Last edited:
Yet again...

http://dev.bjcp.org/news/bjcp-announces-provisional-styles/

BJCP Announces Provisional Styles

July 4, 2018

These styles are considered draft, but may be used by competitions as official styles.

http://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/21b-specialty-ipa-new-england-ipa/

21B. Specialty IPA: New England IPA

February 21, 2018

Overall Impression

An American IPA with intense fruit flavors and aromas, a soft body, and smooth mouthfeel, and often opaque with substantial haze. Less perceived bitterness than traditional IPAs but always massively hop forward. This emphasis on late hopping, especially dry hopping, with hops with tropical fruit qualities lends the specific ‘juicy’ character for which this style is known.

21B: Specialty IPA:

Overall Impression
Recognizable as an IPA by balance-a hop-forward, bitter, dryish beer-with something else present to distinguish it from the standard categories. Should have good drinkability, regardless of the form. Excessive harshness and heaviness are typically faults, as are strong flavor clashes between the hops and the other specialty ingredients.”

They failed in this regard. Maybe you haven’t tried it?

I have tried it and enjoy it very much, I just don't think a beer is a failure because you think it has hop flavor but it is "muddled", the same way it isn't the best beer in the world because I enjoy it. That is why these are silly things to discuss, but on HBT we are all sitting around in between brew days shootin' the breeze so here we sit.

I have tried it and enjoy it very much, I just don't think a beer is a failure because you think it has hop flavor but it is "muddled", the same way it isn't the best beer in the world because I enjoy it. That is why these are silly things to discuss, but on HBT we are all sitting around in between brew days shootin' the breeze so here we sit.

For sure. Every beer isn’t for everyone.

It just threw me for a loop with the cloudied flavors. It didn’t come across like every other (including the ones I greatly disliked) IPA where the hops are the star and maybe there’s a strong maltiness as well, or even a Belgian twist. As I pointed out it failed to have the hops shine unobstructed.

So, let me get this straight. NEIPA, or hazy IPA if you will, is a very young style, there's isn't any real history behind it but since it's become a trend everyone has jumped on and developed their take on it. It's popularity and the the fact that everyone makes one has prompted BJCP to define it with it's own category. This all makes sense. However, given the lack of history behind the style the only thing we have to base it's characteristics on is a sampling or average of what the industry has done with it over the past decade or so. As many have pointed out in the this thread, the average NEIPA is a murky muddled mess, sure some brewers are making an amazingly delicious beer with this style but it seems they are actually on the fringe and are NOT representative of the style whatsoever. Isn't that like me not liking sours so I brew a nice fresh West Coast IPA but call it a sour and say, "Yea, it tastes nothing like what the industry generally calls a sour, it actually tastes good".

It's too bad that BJCP doesn't write up a comparison of closely related styles, nor commercial examples of said style.

Oh wait...

Style Comparison

Compared to American IPA, New England IPA has a fuller, softer mouthfeel, a more fruit-forward late hop expression, a more restrained perceived bitterness balance, and a hazier appearance. Many modern American IPAs are fruity and somewhat hazy; if they have a dry, crisp finish, at most medium body, and high perceived bitterness, these examples should be entered as American IPAs. Noticeable additions of fruit, lactose, or other materials to increase the fruity, smooth character should be entered in another category defined by the additive (e.g., Fruit Beer, Specialty Beer).

Commercial Examples

Hill Farmstead Susan, Other Half Green Diamonds Double IPA, Tired Hands Alien Church, Tree House Julius, Trillium Congress Street, WeldWerks Juicy Bits

http://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/21b-specialty-ipa-new-england-ipa/

Latest posts

Back