Hazy IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
Hello! I have brewed northeast hazy ipas before, following the popular recipe by brew professor, and now I'm attempting to sort of half make my own recipe, by trying to make a similar beer to what I tasted this weekend at Cerebral Brewing in Denver, CO

the beer was their Letter's and Number's ipa, which primarily used an experimental hop from south Africa. it had an ibu of 56 and an abv of 6.9. now I know my ibu's are considerably higher, but I think its because how brewers friend calculates hop utilization in whirlpool

The listed for grains: pale, oats, flaked wheat, dextrin
for hops, Columbus, N1/69, Amarillo, and azacca.

Obviously I can't get my hands on N1/69, but I thought mosaic might be a decent subsititute. the description for N1/69 is:
N1/69, The aroma profile of N1/69 is Kool-Aid, Juicy Fruit, oranges, plums, dank, and pungent. Alpha acids are 13.4 percent and cohumulone is 23 percent in 2016.

so my questions for you are:

1. can you think of a better hop to substitute with?

2: the grain bill seems simple to me, do you guys suggest changing anything?

3. I'm worried I would be over hopping, but wanted to know your opinion.

Its a 2 gallon batch, as that is what currently fits my level of consumption and my brewing capacity.

Anything else you can critique let me know. Thanks in advance!

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.94%
IBU (tinseth): 99.94
SRM (morey): 4.66

FERMENTABLES:
4.1 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (70.7%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Oats (12.9%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Wheat (12.9%)
3.2 oz - Maltodextrin (3.4%)

HOPS:
60 minute hops
0.3 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 44.18

flameout hops
0.2 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 0.1 min, IBU: 0.13
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0.1 min, IBU: 0.07
0.8 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 0.1 min, IBU: 0.43

whirlpool
0.8 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 37.45
0.2 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Whirlpool for 0.2 min at 160 °F, IBU: 11.24
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 6.44

dry hop 1
0.8 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop at 5 days
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop at 5 days
0.2 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop at 5 days

dry hop 2
0.8 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop at 12 days
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop at 12 days
0.2 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop at 12 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.725 gal

YEAST:
GigaYeast - Vermont IPA Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 80%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 62 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 64 F

are you sure that when they list "dextrin", that they aren't talking about carapils (aka dextrin malt) or even just dextrose (corn sugar)? I cant really see any brewery that knows what they are doing adding maltodextrin to an IPA

are you sure that when they list "dextrin", that they aren't talking about carapils (aka dextrin malt) or even just dextrose (corn sugar)? I cant really see any brewery that knows what they are doing adding maltodextrin to an IPA

Honestly I'm not sure. I thought it was odd, but thought hey, maybe they are looking for a bigger body! I didn't know carapils was also called dextrin malt. I reached out to them to see if they would be willing to clarify, and haven't heard back from them yet. I'm not brewing for another 2 weeks probably, so have some time.

1st - @m00ps !

2nd - I'd go with a combo of Mosaic & Galaxy for the Fruity Pebbles taste, maybe some Comet for dankiness. Dunno about plum, sorry.

3rd - sounds good, may have to make this myself one day!

My only comments would be to use carapils instead however with that much wheat you probably don't need to. maybe a smidge of dextrose instead to dry it a touch.

Also, I'd move the flameout hops to whirlpool stage at 170 degrees and I'd just do one larger dry hop instead of a 2 stage. Eliminate as much exposure to oxygen as humanly possible after you pitch the yeast.

speak of the devil, the brewery just responded. in regards to the dextrin, they said they use weyermann carafoam to help with body and head retention.

My only comments would be to use carapils instead however with that much wheat you probably don't need to. maybe a smidge of dextrose instead to dry it a touch.

Also, I'd move the flameout hops to whirlpool stage at 170 degrees and I'd just do one larger dry hop instead of a 2 stage. Eliminate as much exposure to oxygen as humanly possible after you pitch the yeast.

Do you think I should reduce the amount of wheat and oats? I was really just eyeballing that part, their beer was very much on the hazy side so I shot for higher numbers

oh and I should have mentioned the second dry hop is a keg hop, so there won't be any more exposure to oxygen than usual, although I may still take your advice and just do the 1

Do you think I should reduce the amount of wheat and oats? I was really just eyeballing that part, their beer was very much on the hazy side so I shot for higher numbers

I think you're at a good starting point. I typically do a 16% grain bill split with white wheat and flaked oats however I've been thinking of upping mine to your level actually. I haven't had an issue, but I want to see the effects. Others have done a 30% total with good results it seems so I think you'll be OK.

Update to the grain bill now that I know more:

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (71.4%)
0.7 lb - Flaked Oats (12.5%)
0.7 lb - Flaked Wheat (12.5%)
0.2 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.6%)

Also Ill split the original mosaic hops with half mosaic half galaxy, as the brewer thought those might be my best 2 options, and you guys said the same thing

maybe a white wheat instead of a flaked? your call there.

On a later version I would like to try it, but for this one since their menu specified flaked wheat, I'm going to stick with that.

In fact I might try and brew 2 versions of this within a week of themselves, so I can taste how flaked vs white would change things

since flaked wheat is not malted, it lacks the appropriate enzymes, correct? so it has less of a contribution to final abv, and I would probably want to mash for longer, since the other enzymes essentially have to pull double duty

alright, so hearing no further objections, I'll get this brewed and let you guys know how it turns out

Back