Hazie Beer From Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Hi there, I just finished my 2nd batch of kit and kilo, when I pour my beer from tap it isn't clear, is this normal ? What could I do to change this ? The beer is good but visualy not to nice :(

1x Wyeast North West Ale (started)

25g/ Nelson Sauvin @ 12 alpha in 2 cups of water boiled for 10 mins

1.5kg/3Lbs of Light DME

21 days single fermentation in bucket

Keg 7 days @ 12 psi

28g dry hop of Nelson Sauvin @ 12 alpha

Using Irish Moss or a Whirlfloc tab works very well in keeping beer clear. They are normally added during the last 10 minutes of the boil. I'm not a kegger myself so I don't really know if leaving it kegged another 7 days may improve clarity but it's worth a shot and it's free.

SteveHeff said:
Using Irish Moss or a Whirlfloc tab works very well in keeping beer clear. They are normally added during the last 10 minutes of the boil. I'm not a kegger myself so I don't really know if leaving it kegged another 7 days may improve clarity but it's worth a shot and it's free.

I know these products and I use them when I make an All Grain but since a kit is just add water and DME I can't see how to use this ...

Last 10 minutes of the boil. Add 1/2-1 tsp of irish moss. You do the same thing with the whirlfloc tab. Just toss it in the boil with 10 mins to go and let it do the rest.

SteveHeff said:
Last 10 minutes of the boil. Add 1/2-1 tsp of irish moss. You do the same thing with the whirlfloc tab. Just toss it in the boil with 10 mins to go and let it do the rest.

I don't boil my kit dude, I open the can add water and DME pitch my yeast and set it for 21 to 30 days

Well, I think you just answered your own question on why your beer is hazy. With no boil you won't get any hot break or cold break which means all that protein is staying in your beer just waiting to make protein and chill haze.

It also means any sediment that would have been left behind in the boil kettle is going straight into your fermentor.

I'm not saying you can't make good beer your way, I'm just saying there isn't a lot you can do to combat haze.

You could boil the Irish moss in a quart-or-so of water for 10 minutes and then stir it into your fermentor.

Back