Hazey ,cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpume

Reaction score
Good day brewers ,so today its the 12 the day my primary fermentation have been started ,the beer smells nice ,gravity its on 1,012 and the bulbing have stopped .but as I was checking the gravity I realised that the beer is cloudy is it because of the yeast haven't settled yet or the beer have been infected ,how do you determine which is which? Thank you in advance

Taste the beer, if it has good flavor, it's not infected.

One reason brewers like to cold-crash their fermented beer is it helps suspended particulate matter to drop out of solution. Another remedy is time. Beer will tend to clear over time. It isn't likely to have a significant influence on flavor.

Thank you at mongoose ,it does taste smooth and smells good

The time frame of yeast flocculation depends heavily on the strain. There are also other reasons for the haze than yeast and contaminations. But I wouldn't be worried at this stage, cold crashing could be a good idea. If it won't help then there are other ways to clear the haze such as gelatin.

12 days is still very young and the yeast probably hasn't fully settled. Hazy could also be a by product of your brewing session (not a good cold break for example), however as mentioned, all beer will clear with time.

I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, the rule I go by for determining if a beer is infected is smell and taste. Not only will it look nasty, more than likely it will smell and taste just as bad. If you don't gag, drink up! ... :D

Back