Hazelnut In Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm considering using hazelnut to make my brown ale a bit more unique. I've heard that it's a better idea to use hazelnut extract, but how much would I use in a 5g batch? I don't want a strong hazelnut flavor, but just a hint of it. Also, when is the best time to add it?

I have not used hazelnut extract personally but as with other extracts it would be advisable to start small (.5 oz. max) and taste a sample. If you add at bottling time it is really easy to get the exact character you are going for by slow incremental additions of the extract. Oh, and this sounds good, report back on how it comes out.

A couple months ago I brewed a Chocolate Hazlenut Oatmeal Stout (CHOS) and used Hazlenut extract. I was unsure how much to use in my brew and exactly when to add. I decided to only do a primary fermentation and let the beer finish before adding the extract. At about 10 days I pitched 1oz. of hazlenut extract and let it sit for another 6 days before bottling. I like the results, there is a good hazlenut smell to the beer after the pour and the hazlenut finishes nicely after the chocolate, it is not overpowering.

It ultimately is a big experiment, you just need to try and adjust for your next batch if it isn't what you are looking for since we all have different tastes. I have read that the earlier/longer you let the extract sit in the fermenter the weaker the flavor with be.

With all that being said I would try 0.5oz-1oz of extract and let it sit for 6-7 days before bottling. It worked for me, hopefully you have successful results also.

I used 1/2 bottle of Watkins Hazelnut in 5 gallons of Brown Ale a few years ago. Added it to the bottling bucket. It was pretty strong, too strong. To be honest. I'll never do it again. Just not my cup of tea.. Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back