haze in fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methose

Reaction score
I brewed a strawberry blonde ale, and it's come out a good bit hazey (noticed after it's carb'd in the keg). I'm not sure if it's chill haze or pectin, but if it's pectin, how can I remove it without removing the strawberry flavor?
1 # Crystal 10
1 # Carapils
6# Pilsen licht DME
US-05 yeast (no starter, but hydrated).
It ended at 1.010
Then I racked it onto 8 lb of whole frozen strawberries for 6 days, and I did see bubbles while it was on the strawberries this time (I've brewed it 2 times before with no bubbles).
Then I racked it directly into keg with Potassium Sorbet, and into the freezer on the gas.

Here's the kicker, I've brewed 3x 5 gallon batches, for a wedding which is next weekend!
I'd like to be able to put out the best product possible out there, so I want to make it look nice.

Although I have done several fruit beers, I have never used strawberries.
That being said, my technique is to rack onto the fruit in the secondary leave it for 2 weeks and then rack into a third carboy off the fruit for another week then keg.
I have never had fruit haze this way, but always get the fruit flavor.

I have made a strawberry blonde twice. The first time without pectin enzyme and the second time with. Both were hazy but the second one had a better mouth feel as I found the first one thick. I did not notice any difference in flavor. The second batch was served at my wedding and no one seemed to mind it was hazy as that was the first keg to kick.

I have made a strawberry blonde twice. The first time without pectin enzyme and the second time with. Both were hazy but the second one had a better mouth feel as I found the first one thick. I did not notice any difference in flavor. The second batch was served at my wedding and no one seemed to mind it was hazy as that was the first keg to kick.

Thanks for the feedback!
I think I've given up, for reasons I'm about to explain, in the next post

I looked into Pectic Enzyme, and thanks to this post, I now understand a good bit of issues for my specific case:
It doesn't work well at low temperatures.
It breaks down pectin into sugars, which would be ferment-able once the temperature rises, which could cause bottle bombs once I bottle from the keg and they warm up.

The problem I have with Gelatin, is the potential for stripping out color, and the potential for having chunks or jello-beer get into the bottles that I'm giving out to people.

Back