Having trouble getting consistent temp readings in MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxn

Reaction score
I'm fairly confident that I'm hitting the temps overall since my beers have been coming out fine, but when I take readings after dough-in, the variation from one part of the MLT to another is substantial.

I'm using a 60qt Ice Cube, and have been having the same problem with both 5-gal and 10-gal batches.

I pour the ~168 degree strike water in the MLT, let the MLT warm up, dough in, stir a lot, let it sit for a few minutes, and then check temperature. I feel confident in the thermometer because it's a Thermapen, but I'm getting temp variations of more than 10 degrees from one corner to the other. One spot will read 153 F and another will read 137 F. I know this isn't normal.

Then even after the 1 hour mash, I'm still getting a lot of variation.

Any suggestions?

Use more water in your mash, try 5:1 or even 7:1 by weight. This makes it easier to stir and the additional thermal mass will minimize temperature drops.

You might try heating a little longer.

Do you brew indoors or out. The igloo ice cubes I am familiar with are lacking in the insulation department. Not as thick as it needs to be. I had one I used to keep sparge water warm and it didn't do well at all.

You might consider wrapping some sort of insulation around the out side.

I might try heating a little longer. But I think I might not have gotten my point across. My issue isn't heat loss over time. It is heat variations in different parts of the cooler at the same time.

I see this in my cooler as well. It's a rectangular Coleman cooler, and one side is consistently 2 degrees warmer than the other. I use the cooler side for my temp.

I think the difference is the manifold layout. I get less stirring on the spigot side, even though I really try to mix it all up well. There is a small length of plastic tubing running from the center of the manifold to the spigot. I think some warm grain gets stuck under there.

I might try heating a little longer. But I think I might not have gotten my point across. My issue isn't heat loss over time. It is heat variations in different parts of the cooler at the same time.

I understand, but the two can potentially be related due to homogeneity of temps (or lack thereof) across your pre-heated MLT. Pre-heating for longer is an easy initial step to take to eliminate that variable. I like david_42's idea of a larger thermal mass (higher water:grain ratio) to buffer temp changes, too.

Back