Having some problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonnithebaddy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking for some advise, I was making a batch of IPA my OG was 1063 and at the end of fermentation it was 1042. I think I know what happened since I live in Iceland and the weather has been below -1 for and that has made my fermentation storage around 10 C rather then the 19 degrees Celcius. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to lower my FG or should call it quits with this batch?
Thanks in advance for taking the time out to read this.

Give it some more time and swirl it some more. If it's a 5 gallon batch it will take it a while to warm up and wake up the yeast. By little sign of life, what is your fermentation vessel? Can you see the wort or are you basing that on airlock activity?

What yeast did you use? If it's a highly flocculent strain, the 10C temps may have made it drop out. Like bailey mentioned, try swirling it, and allow more time. Take another reading and use the refractometer calculator. If it's still too high, you may need to pitch new yeast.

You'll definitely want to make sure this beer ferments out completely, especially if you plan to bottle it. If you bottle with SG in the 30s and that yeast decides to wake up and start eating again, you'll have a bunch of glass grenades.

Back