Having a ball watching my fermentation in a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestmaty

Reaction score
Well, actually a better bottle.

I've been homebrewing for over a year, all grain for about 11 months of that. Always used an ale pail for primary. The only 'tactile' experience was getting to watch the airlock bubble away furiously for a few days, then nuttin'

This past sunday, I brewed a Belgian IPA and dumped it into my better bottle instead of my ale pail. I've been wanting to watch the ballet for once.

Well, today it's bubbling like there's no tomorrow, I actually got to see the krausen form, and can see the beer's 'gunk' flowing up, down, sideways, and such for the first time! It's neat to see the little bubbles on top of the krausen pop and emit CO2.

Anyway, I'm easily amused and will be fermenting ALL my batches from now on in a better bottle, just to watch the grace of fermentation.

Oh yea.. it's in a fermentation freezer @ 65*-70*, so the top is shut 99.99% of the time and no light is harming my little yeast babies in any way :)

I've got upwards of 30 batches under my belt now, and have been using a clear fermenter since the beginning. I still love watching it while it's fermenting, it just doesn't seem to get old to me. I'll check it almost every day and watch it for a few minutes, so I'm as easily amused as you are!!

My son thinks I am losing when I sit there drinking a homebrew watching the yeast do it's delicate dance. It's just truly fascinating to me.

Back