Haven't done this in a long time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
Yeah I pulled my second all-nighter in as many weeks, and I wasn't even brewing. I'm freaking 30 years old, this is ridiculous.

We're absolutely slammed at work, so I've been putting in the extra hours (totally not worth the extra money I'm putting in Uncle Sams pocket).

Got up at 5:00 am on Monday morning, started working, and I am still working now (aside from this thread that is); most likely going to be awake until 10:00 pm tonight; that'll make it a nice round 40 hours straight (if my math is correct).

I don't know how i used to do this crap when I was teenager... used to stay up from Friday until Sunday night and play video games, sure as heck haven't touched a video game in a long time either (unless tetris on the throne counts).

In the imortal words of Roger Murtaugh; "I'm too old for this $hit"

I could still work like that, now and then, when I was 30. But not any more, after 10 or 12 hours of hard work I am pretty much done in. That is why I am in college now, manual labor just hurts to much the older I get.

I've done a few 24+ hr shifts in the last few years, and I'm 47. I run a press brake, so I'm on my feet and active the entire time, but I get pretty useless after about 14 hours. I did a 17 hour shift on July 3rd, so I could have a 4 day weekend, and it sucked. I am at the point in my life where I don't need to kill myself to put food on the table, and have advised my employer of such. If I do a more than 12 hour shift ever again, I will be taking breaks whenever, and for however long I see fit, if they don't like it, they can **** can me.

The only people I'm risking my health and safety for at this point is my family.

It's been a long time since I've pulled crazy hours like that, but I remember them none too fondly. More recently I worked night shift as a maintenance mechanic and had a couple side projects as well. I spent an entire summer working 12 twelve hour shifts in a row, then two days off. But some of the shifts extended to about 14-16 hours too. I learned that after about the fourth 12 hour shift, I kinda went into autopilot mode. Never really too sure what was actually goin on, just doing what needed to be done. Not exactly a good way to be....

I was on salary at just a little over others on hourly when I was younger. I was eager to please until I figured out the salaried position was only a way to get overtime without paying for it. There were not enough perks to make it worthwhile. I put an end to that by telling them - pay me or I am not available!

Back