Have You Made a Beer for 2013 Yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Strong Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy brewed in May that I'm going to try in November, but am really aiming for 2013 with it.

Do you have any beers you're waiting on, or what would you like to brew now for six months or more from now?

I've got a couple of sours going and a Belgian Rye Imperial Stout with Brett B & port soaked oak cubes that I'm gonna let ride until '13.

dcHokie said:
I've got a couple of sours going and a Belgian Rye Imperial Stout with Brett B & port soaked oak cubes that I'm gonna let ride until '13.

Belgian Imperial stout with Bret and port oak cubes - that is outrageous!

I made a SMASH barleywine this past January. After 1 month in Primary, I aged it on oak until June. Bottled a couple of weeks ago and it will sit until my Navy retirement next September. I used Belgian bottles, corks and cages.

This year, my long-term brews were:

Flanders Red (5g)
Oud Bruin (10g)
Wee Heavy (5g)
Belgian Dark Strong Ale / Quad, with dates, and one without the dates (5g & 5g)

That's it for this year. I've got big beers from previous years still to drink, so I don't see any more like that on the horizon. I like brewing the big ones, but not so much drinking them.

passedpawn said:
This year, my long-term brews were:

Flanders Red (5g)
Oud Bruin (10g)
Wee Heavy (5g)
Belgian Dark Strong Ale / Quad, with dates, and one without the dates (5g & 5g)

That's it for this year. I've got big beers from previous years still to drink, so I don't see any more like that on the horizon. I like brewing the big ones, but not so much drinking them.

I suspect I'll go through the Wee Heavy a little more slowly, too.

Brewed a barleywine on my bday for next bday (June). Will do the same again next year

I have 1.5 cases of a giant imperial stout that I oaked and dry hopped with lots of hops, going to take me a long time to drink them all. That is my 2013 beer. Might make a big Belgian quad for xmas

My lambic solera will dump out a new batch in December for drinking in 2013. I'm about to brew a petrus aged pale clone that will surface next summer. I also have a sour brown ale that's aging into 2013 to be half bottled straight and half blended with a belgian stout. Soon I also need to brew up another saison to go on my saison/brett blend and that will age six-nine months so that will be bottled next spring or early summer. I will probably think about brewing another batch of wheat wine. That also ages about six months to a year. I haven't chosen yet but I will probably brew a non-brett saison and some session beers next year.

Right now I have recipes sitting to brew because I don't have time to brew right now and I'm really trying to drink through what I have. I'm sitting on some high ABV Belgians that are a good two years old and really need to be consumed. So once I get through all of that I'll start making more defined plans for next year.

Nah, nothing for 2013 yet....But 2015, Heck Yeah, a certain barleywine I brewed a couple years back for my fiftieth.

525876_10150876455339067_1363997783_n.jpg

I just ordered the makings for a wee heavy to be consumed no earlier than Christmas (except for research purposes, of course). I've also got 2 gallons of apfelwein that, after a month in the bottle, have entirely failed to carbonate. They aren't bad but I'm going to do my best to forget about them for another 6 months.

I have a big barleywine in the schedule to commemorate my 13th batch. Got a couple more to knock out first.

I made a wee heavy that might be part of the 12-12-12 brew... Started it mid December (2011) and looking to keg it sometime in/after August. Although it might need more time still. It's only 12%, but you know how it goes. :D

I have a recipe on deck for a BIG brew. I hope to get that started in September/October time frame. IF I'm lucky, it might be ready for glass around the holiday season 2013.

Love this thread, as it highlights the slow, patient side of this marvelous game :)

BDS, Tripel, American Barleywine, Brett Golden Ale, RIS.

I brewed a Flanders Red on April Fools Day that is not to be touched until that time next year. Also started a lambic about a month later that will be left alone for a good long while. I mean to brew another couple batches of Flanders Red in the next couple months. I really need to find a cheap barrel to age some of these buggy things in.

Brewed a pLambic in March 2012, it'll sit in my closet until at least that time 2013.

I've got a barleywine I brewed in April that I won't release until at least Christmas. Although, I may have to taste one in October.

BDSA that I brewed in March, not planning on bottling it until September/October, and not opening one up until March next year.

Today, July 6th, I'm bottling a barleywine that was brewed in March and will sit until January 6th, my 40th birthday. Though I might not be able to resist having one at Christmas.

Yes, barleywine started in nov-dec 2011, bottled in feb 2012. It tastes good already and will get better. I hope I can hold onto a good amount, time will tell.

My next brew day will be for a 2013 brew. I'm doing some very long lead-time Belgians. It's going to be a 10-gallon batch split between 4 fermentations and/or bottling techniques. My goal is to walk away with my definitive house Belgian beer.

Zero chance any make it to 2013 though.

Nah, nothing for 2013 yet....But 2015, Heck Yeah, a certain barleywine I brewed a couple years back for my fiftieth.

525876_10150876455339067_1363997783_n.jpg

Awesome, I need to try out a few good barleywines, because I have barely tasted a sip of the style. I can't remember what brew it was. Maybe I will pick one up tonight??

I brewed my RIS June 2nd or 3rd. Its my 2nd homebrew. It's sitting on oak chips, vanilla beans, and bourbon for another week. Then it will be in bottles which I will try once a month, but this won't be ready until at least December I'm guessing, so 2013 will be a good year for it. I'll brew up another batch of RIS to always have some on demand, because I love RIS's!

I just bottled a Lambic last night that was primed three different ways. Cherry concentrate, agave nectar and maple syrup. The only ones that will be drank this year are going to be drank by the judges at the Ky State Fair.

A 10% Imperial Stout that sat on the yeast for 2 months and shall be bottled for six months. The first bottle is set to be opened on 12-21-12 if the world still exists by then.

BTW, I didn't plan on that, it was bottled on 6-21-12 and I had the six month time frame already in mind.

I don't have anything that I'm currently aging for 01/01/2013, but I do plan to brew a Roeselare sour on 12/21/2012 come Hell or high water!

I brewed a Barleywine (10.2%) on the day I put my dog down in early June and named it after him: Bailey's Barleywine. He sure made it strong!

I have several lambics that are always in a state of "conditioning".

I also have a Golden Strong and a Golden Strong Sour that will probably have to wait until 2013 until I get into them.

Belgian dark strong blended with port and oak cubes, first bottle will be for X-mas this year but I hope to save the rest as long as possible!

Got a bourbon barrel porter that I'll try a bit of before the new year but most likely won't be in it's prime until after the new year. Also brewed a KBS clone that most likely won't be ready until next year. Have a wine I still need to make as well that will need to age for a year. All this waiting around means I'll just have to keep brewing.

Not yet, but a Vanilla Stout with Bourbon Whiskey soaked Oak Chips probably in the area of 6.5-7% is on the schedule! This is my new years beer, cant wait! Not to mention a 5% Coffee Stout for Christmas! (sorry, talking about upcoming brews gives me a mean hard-on)

Back