Have you ever intentionally broken something to help convince SWMBO ofr a new one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
I'm thinking about breaking/losing my IPOD so I can get a new (UPGRADED of course) one. Am I going to hell?

For owning an IPOD? Maybe...

For running over it in a tragic/freak accident while checking the brakes on her car?

Nah. ;)

Ize

Not hell, but not to the electronics store either.

I have stomped certain items to dust in a fit of rage in front of her. This tends to set her off so that she angrily demands that I replace the offending item with another item of superior quality that would have been bought in the first place had she been properly consulted.

It's all in the delivery.

I'm considering doing it with my TV. It's 720p/1080i HD, rear projection 50" Hitachi. But, I want a 1080p HDMI, 42 - 50" lcd.

She just recently did it with her IPOD and I have not approved on gettin a new one yet. My ipod video 30gig still works fine for me :)

Don't lose it! See, then you're like a little boy who really can't be trusted with expensive electronics and we don't really think you deserve to buy another one. If you lose your IPOD, we'll question your ability to be responsible enough to own one. We're different, though- women can lose things like $200 Oakleys and just buy new ones because we're women. :D

If you don't think she'll fall for the "need to upgrade" spiel, then yeah, it's gotta be broken to buy a new one. Or, if it gets stolen out of the front seat of your car when you were in paying for your gas, that's ok, too. As long as you swear you were in there "just for a second" and realized that next time you should just pay at the pump. If you are remorseful, then you can buy a new one, no problem.

If you are going to do it, at least give it to someone rather than purposefully destroy and maybe get a little karma return....

Oh, yeah..... pretend it got stolen, give it to someone else, report said "stolen" item to the law (my wife would make me do it) and then have your buddy show up with the "stolen" item (ya know he's gonna come over with it someday..... and thank you in front of your wife for said "stolen/gift" property)...... No bad karma there. Hell, it's an IPOD. It's the spawn of the devil. Just drop that sucka in a bucket of holy water, It'll either short out or burst into flames of damnation. Either way, it's toast an' you can get another one.

I thought this was going to be about something important, like a new and bigger keggerator!

Dude said:
I'm thinking about breaking/losing my IPOD so I can get a new (UPGRADED of course) one. Am I going to hell?

Try growing a backbone - SWMBO will respect you for that. Just tell her you're getting a new IPOD.

Send it to me for repair. I'll let you know if it is "uneconomical for repair" and in my professional opinion as a technical expert that you should purchase a replacement. ;D

My 2 cents. Anyone can say they lost/broke something -- that's amateur stuff.

To be really believable, it has to occur while doing something nice for her. In other words, if something happens to it while doing the brakes on her car, or while driving her mother to the airport, etc ... because who would make up something like that?

Just be careful not to go too far into the realm of unbelievability by doing something totally out of character ... then you've blown your cover.

desertbronze said:
Try growing a backbone - SWMBO will respect you for that. Just tell her you're getting a new IPOD.

I agree. Not scared of your wife are you!!!

*cowering behind monitor even though wife at home and me at work!*

just go buy a new one if you want one.....of course don't over do it frequently, you should be ok

I was messing with my fermentation temp contoller today. It is too small for kegs, I was trying to bend the plate down....pssssssss! Fkuk!!

Time to get a chest freezer:p But, it wasn't on purpose consciously.

You could always "lose" it ..... to eBay.

Dude said:

Hell? Not likely. You'll decompose in a wooden box, eventually.

As for the iPod issue...I guess, if you are driven to deceive your wife in order to get something that you really want, then it's partially her fault...and she shouldn't be surprised at it.

I lucked out. My 60gb video iPod actually WAS broken. It wouldn't charge via firewire anymore, meaning it wouldn't charge on my car dock or my speakers. That, and I had filled it up long ago. So she didn't put up too much of a fight. I've gotta say, though, dude...I've had it for 3 days (the 160gb classic silver), and I vote thusly: it's such a fuggin great machine, it might be worth deceiving your wife for. As long as you're 100% sure that she won't let you get one otherwise.

Also...instead of deception, you could just mention that you're going to alleviate some of the costs of the new one by putting the old one on eBay. That helped my case.

Latest posts

Back