Have I screwed the pooch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built an eKeggle with 2 120v 2000w water heater elements. following a few designs. At this point i have pretty decent control with boils by running them on separate circuits in the house.

My next step is to start building another one for the HLT. Then eventually run them off a control panel with a pump.

I've been digging around and have found 1 post with what appears to be 2 elements in the HLT but then 1 larger in the BK.

Really just questioning myself if I have messed up meeting the immediate needs by building the keggle w/2 smaller elements. Which when i am ready to start putting the pieces together with a control panel if i have wasted an ekeggle.

Have seen a ton of great examples on HBT! I have a neighbor who is a certified electrician that is going to help me create a completely separate circuit for the brewery. But maybe i am just confusing the sh*t out of myself with trying to determine the 240v to 120v conversion....idk

think it is mearly the fact i am the only one sitting in our office on a saturday. LAME!

When you convert to 240 volt elements, you simply remove the 120 v elements from your kettle or HLT and replace one with a 240 v element and fill the other hole with a stainless threaded 1" plug, assuming you used screw in elelments and not bolt in ones. You haven't made unwelcome advances to the canine.

i i agree with aired ale, i had a similar situation where i mounted my element too high in my keggle, redrilled a hole lower, filled my existing hole with a 1 inch plug and stailess nut and ring and havent had a problem since, that was at least 15 batches ago.

Back