Have Hops & time....need a recipe idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiejason

Reaction score
I just found out that SWMBO has to work this weekend which leaves me with an unexpected and unplanned opportunity to brew something. I was going to go my LHBS tomorrow for some grain and yeast (will probably double pitch since I won't have time for a starter). In any case, I've got some hops in the freezer and I'm looking for some great recipe ideas from what I have in hand. Brewing all grain, 5 gallon batch.

In my freezer:
1oz Amarillo
1.25oz Centennial
1.5oz Columbus
11oz Cascade

I was thinking about an IPA , double IPA, or dark IPA.

If you were in my situation what would you brew?

SNPA

Lots of Cascade hops.

I know Cascade is becoming passe, but their PA was one of the original craft beers and is still a great beer.

I would go for a double IPA, and bitter with either the Amarillo or Centennial. Then use the rest later in the boil for aroma and flavor. Obviously dry hop with some of that crazy amount of Cascade you have to top it off. :D

Good luck!

SNPA

Lots of Cascade hops.

I know Cascade is becoming passe, but their PA was one of the original craft beers and is still a great beer.

The reason I have all of that cascade is that I recently did a bulk buy as the basis for a SNPA clone...just put that one in the bottle :)

Great idea, though!

I'd do a continuously hopped IPA with the cascades! 60 minute bittering then 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 0.

Make the grist result in a very pale ale - say pilsner with a touch of Vienna, mash at 154, shoot for 1.055 with 50 IBUs.

!

Steve da sleeve

You could do this Dark IPA, did this a few months ago came out really good.

Fermentables:
10 lbs. 2-row
2 lbs. Maris Otter
0.5 lb. Chocolate Rye
0.5 lb. Golden Naked Oats
0.5 lb. Caramel 80L
0.5 lb. Brown sugar
Hops:
1 oz. Columbus (60 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
1 oz. Centennial (10 min)
1 oz. Amarillo (5 min)
1 oz. Cascade (0 min)
.25 oz. Centennial (0 min)
2 oz. Cascade ( 7 day Dry hop)

05 yeast

+1 on dark ipa. Mine is in primary now. :)

1392481756203.jpg

Great suggestions. Thanks all. Gonna roll with that dark recipe and see how it goes !

Back