Have a killed my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast last night at 68 degrees. Woke up this morning and found out the temperature of my wort was at 35 degrees. Has this killed my yeast or will it wake back up once the wort warms back up to 65-68 degrees? Do I need to pitch more yeast? Will this change the taste of my beer once its done?

You probably just put them to sleep. Get it back up to proper temp asap.

Fermentation should go normal with a slightly altered ester profile depending on the yeast.

Get the temp up between 65-70F, wait for 24-48 hrs to see signs of any activity. If you have checked the original gravity before pitching the yeast, then after 24-48 hrs check the gravity again to see if its dropped. If yes, then that would indicate the yeast is active and have started doing their job. If you don't observe any change, then pitch more yeast and make sure you have a stable temperature. Check the gravity again 24-48 hrs later.

I think it should come back to life just fine. The bigger question is where did you place it that it got so cold? That basically means the wort was sitting at well below freezing for 8 hours. You might want to reconsider the location that you ferment.

Back