Has Your Capper Ever Crapped Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt17

Reaction score
This past Sat I was bottling my latest batch with my Red Baron capper, it started crimping the caps crooked. I started to worry about how I was going to finish this batch if this cheap capper craps out. (it turns out the capper bell was just loose). But, I was wondering if anyone's capper broke in the middle of a batch & what you did. The nearest LHBS is 45 miles away & closes at 7:00pm. Would it be a good idea to buy a good bench capper & keep my Red Baron as a backup? Or am I worrying too much? Are these cappers stronger then they feel?

My bench capper had to be disassembled a couple of times. These days I use the Red Baron on most bottles and the bench capper on ones that the Red Baron can't grasp. Having a backup is a must for any equipment prone to failure, such as cappers, racking canes/auto siphon, hydrometer, glass thermometers, etc.

I've never had a problem with my capper, but I do have the Belgian corker as a backup, I suppose, although it would be weird to bottle something like a pale ale in those bottles.

Back