Has this ever happened to you and am I a beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Applebee's is OK as long as you keep your expectations "realistic." The wait staff will not have the expertise of that of a brew pub.

I generally don't order beer in places that have questionable service or are not beer focused.

There is a place down the road from that has a decent selection, maybe a dozen different taps. I usually eat lunch at the bar and have a Hopdevil or Flying Fish IPA but a couple weeks back my wife and I went for a quick dinner and sat at a table. I asked the waitron for a beer list and she said they didn't have one what do you want?

So I played guess the beers they have (yes, I was f-in with her but what the heck) Do you have Stone Ruination? No. Ok. How about Rogue Dead Guy, Chimay Blue? after the third guess she reached into her apron and pulled out a list all laminated and pretty, but apparently not for customers.

Here's the funny part. When I tried to look at the list she shielded it from me and started rattling off the beers. I still wonder what state secrets were contained on that little card she hid in her apron.

BTW. My wife knew what I was doing and was not amused.

This happened to me at a local micro-brewery recently. I ordered an IPA that I've had many times and I don't know what she brought me but it wasn't an IPA, that's for sure. I mentioned it but she insisted it was an IPA and other that arguing with her I just drank it and ordered something else for the next round.

I was at a greasy spoon a couple of weeks ago. It's a real dive, but they had DFH 60 Minute on tap. I ordered a glass. It didn't look right, but I took a sip. Not what I ordered.

I stopped the waitress and said I thought there'd been a mistake. She said, "Oh, did they give you PBR?" Yes, yes they did.

She was totally cool about it.

Thing is, to the general public, beer is beer. Well, beer is either dark or light. Well, beer is Guinness or light. So, when your IPA turns out to be a Kolsch, what are you complaining about, you got roughly what you ordered, right? Besides, don't tell me you can tell the difference.

Well coming from a college student who works as a waiter and a home brewer, I believe i could give my opinion on this. As a waiter you put up with a ton of **** from people, so after a while as working as a server, you tend to not care about the general public because you get bitched out over very very silly things. As a server, I know what the beers are and which are on tap, BUT I DO NOT POUR THEM! Most places have a bartender who does this, so when i put in a stella, and you get a budweiser that is on the bartender, but people assume that it is my mistake, and I get yelled at or what not.

I go out and drink at pubs quite often, and it has happened where i have ordered a franziskaner dunkelweizen and got a franziskaner hefeweizen. I could have said something, but I chose to drink it and ordered the dunkel on the next round.

...so when i put in a stella, and you get a budweiser that is on the bartender, but people assume that it is my mistake, and I get yelled at or what not....

So what...you don't give a quality control taste on the way back to the table? :D

Since three of my daughters worked their way through school serving, I've a new found appreciation (albeit totally emotional) for the folks who wait on me.

I forgive easily...ask politely for the problem to be resolved, and tip generously, but accordingly.

Life's too short to be a dick.

So what...you don't give a quality control taste on the way back to the table? :D

Since three of my daughters worked their way through school serving, I've a new found appreciation (albeit totally emotional) for the folks who wait on me.

I forgive easily...ask politely for the problem to be resolved, and tip generously, but accordingly.

Life's too short to be a dick.

My wife worked her way through college as a server, and I saw her come home so nights really upset about the asses she had to wait on, or people she was super nice and efficient who left her a dollar top etc, so I try to be nice about wait staff too.

That being said - bring me what I order and don't tell me I'm wrong. I'm the customer.

THAT being said - my shins are often bruised from SWMBO kicking me under the table after I start to lose my patience when the wrong beer is brought to me for the 3rd time. You're right, I'm sorry, I do realize now that Sam Adams totally rhymes with Rogue Dead Guy, my mistake. I'll be sure to eee-nun-see-ate next time.

So, when your IPA turns out to be a Kolsch, what are you complaining about, you got roughly what you ordered, right? Besides, don't tell me you can tell the difference.

The people who tell me that are the same ones who tell me that Mr Pibb and Dr Pepper taste the same, when I order tea instead of Mr Pibb if they don't have my beloved Dr Pepper.

Me: I'll have a Dr Pepper
Them: writes down Mr Pibb
Me: Ahh - I dont like Mr Pibb, I'll have a tea instead.
Them: What's the big deal, they taste the same
Me: No, they don't. I'll have tea, thank you.
Them: huffy

Like its so hard to scratch off 'Mr Pibb' and write Tea instead. Its a good thing I noticed you write MP on your pad or I'd have been really pissed.

Edit: I didnt realize how strongly I felt about this topic. I'm actually angry after having written these two posts. I'm gonna go have a beer or 10...

I am all about drinking good beer whenever possible, but you just can't expect a server at some restaraunt to have the beer knowledge of a homebrewing fanatic that is an active member of a homebrew forum.

The only restaraunt I eat at has Saison Dupont and Delirium on tap, and even though the servers have no idea, I know exactly what I want.

Applebee's is not there for beer connoisseurs, it's for people who want cheap appetizers and some budlight.

If you want a good beer, go to a place that serves good food.

nothing wrong with being a beer snob. I am one and i'm proud of it. Some buddies were going to "beers of the world" dinner at a local restaurant i'd never been to. Turns out their $35 a piece got them Magic Hat #9, a sweet water brew, a spatten, and some barely wine. I'd have been pissed of if i'd gone with them.

And last night SWMBO and I went to a local "tavern" with a "large beer selection on draft" and it was pathetic. Almost didn't even get a beer because there was nothing that was really worth $5+.

If i'm going out to drink beer I go to the Brick Store Pub near here. Literally hundreds of beers on their several page long list. and not a single variety of BMC in the building. Not tomention the waiters and bartenders can give you a description of almost any beer you ask, and they're usually spot on.

I was at lunch in northern PA once and they had Michelob Amber Bock listed as an import....
me- Miss, did you know that Amber Bock is listed as an import?
waitress-yes...it's an import. It's a very dark beer!
me-uh-huh. read the bottle, it's brewed in St. Louis (or any one of the dozen or so breweries in the US.

One thing that I find lately is that alot of the tap beer I order are flat. I have set several back because of this. Usually ends up as a SA (due to nothing better). I normally do not have any attitude given back...occasionally though a bartender tries to flex their "knowledge" of all things beer and once they actually taste.... well, I win.

As has been stated already...It's about standards. That's the one thing that I learned from my ex-wife, why should I compromise. This is what I'm ordering and this is what I want.

And you're just fine, as long as you didn't drink 2/3 of it before complaining about the beer.....

+1 on this answer. Additionally, I bet a $10 that their lines were not that clean and that the waitstaff manager wasn't that good at training people.

I was at lunch in northern PA once and they had Michelob Amber Bock listed as an import....
me- Miss, did you know that Amber Bock is listed as an import?
waitress-yes...it's an import. It's a very dark beer!
me-uh-huh. read the bottle, it's brewed in St. Louis (or any one of the dozen or so breweries in the US.

Good news for Yuengling, which has started making a Pennsylvania Bock. I would prefer to see Lord Chesterfield on tap however.....

Now that I have read though all the posts...

To the OP you are absolutely a beer penis... and so am I! Nothing wrong with that. You want what you ordered and expecting to get it is not unreasonable.

I am also a coffee penis (which is why I had to make my first response prematurely) and run into similar situations at "Gourmet" coffee shops. Uneducated, lackadaisical service staff and/or improperly maintained equipment.

I do not frequent many brew pubs but two that I do occasionally patronize are the Rock Bottom Brewery in Cleveland, OH (there is also one in Pittsburgh but I have never been to that one) and Coaches in Norman, OK. Both make some very good beers and both have had some not so great beers. Both also do their best to make sure that the staff is knowledgeable about their products and know when to call the manager or brewmeister for more in depth info.

The closest I have come to your situation is when I ordered a wheat grass ale (weekly specialty, not on the menu but listed by the server) at RBB and it was piss flat. When I mentioned it to the server and he said "Let me check on that". He returned shortly to tell me that it was a cask conditioned beer. I probably would not have ordered it had I known this in advance but he handled the situation efficiently and politely so I said "Thank you. You should mention that when you list that beer." smiled and drank my flat wheat grass ale.

I don't tolerate poorly-trained hospitality personnel. I worked in the restaurant industry, both in a brewery and waiting tables/tending bar.

Tell you what the difference is: I take pride in my work.

When I brewed full-time, the staff knew what the beer tasted like, how to describe it, a basic roster of ingredients. All of them knew the process (and most spent at least one day a month in the brewery) and could describe it. Flagships and seasonals; didn't matter.

When I worked the front of the house, I knew the specials, I knew the beers on tap, the drinks specials, you name it. I always upsold dessert. ;) And I'm not the smartest guy; my memory stinks. But I worked at it, because it was my job. That's why I'm so impatient with poor service.

I cannot abide arguing with people about what I ordered. Happened to me in a restaurant in New Hampshire a coupla months ago. They've got SA Winter Lager. Great! I'll have one. They bring me Boston Lager. I start out nice, 'cos I know mistakes happen.

Me: I'm sorry, Kevin; this isn't the right beer. There must have been some mistake.
Waiter: Oh, gosh - let me get you another. [pause] Here you are.
Me: Sorry, Kevin; still the wrong beer.
Waiter: But the bartender...oh, damn. I'll be right back.
Me: [waits]
Manager: [walks over with Kevin] Here you are, sir.
Me: Sorry, lady. Still off.
Manager: [increasingly snooty] I've checked the taps myself.
Me: Check the kegs. It happens.
Manager: [irritated as hell, presumably because this mere customer is infringing on her smoke break] Sir, I...
Me: Missy, look. I've spent more time in a brewery than you have in a bra, okay? I know beer when I see, smell and taste it. I've had more Boston Lager than you've had iced tea. The beer coming out of that tap is Boston Freakin' Lager. Now check the thrice-damned keg, and be quick about it!
Manager: I'll do that. [stomps off in huff]
Waiter [horrified look on his face]: Man, I am so sorry.
Me: You're sorry?! All I wanted was a frelling beer!
Wife: [giggle giggle, seen-it-all-before giggle]
[Manager returns] Sorry, sir; it appears the kegs were mixed up.
Me: There ya go. The moral of the story is that the customer is always right. Now make sure you clear the lines before you bring me a pint of what I ordered, K?

Got three pints for free, too, plus dessert. :D

I never take it out on the server, unless the server richly deserves it. I take it out on the management. After all, management has the responsibility of training their staff and running a friggin' restaurant. If they can't or won't do that, they deserve an ass-chewin', and if her boss won't do it, I sure as shootin' will. In front of the server, always. Including the server, if I'm really peeved. Usually, if the food order hasn't come out, that's when I simply get up and leave.

Know what I got? It ain't nerve. It ain't being a 'beer penis'. It's standards. And I never let 'em slip.

Bob

GOD FARUKIN DAMNABLE RIGHT!!!!!! I'm the same way. My steak aint rare honey, and no matter how many times the puerto rican chef wipes his ass with it back there it still aint rare! no matter how many times the pill head behind the bar stirs this miller lite with his penis, it still aint a Guinness. Now i'm leaving, as for the tip, best tip i can give you is to find a job where knowing what the Funck your talking about has no impact on the financial outcome!

WOOOOOOHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Service industry :rockin:in america sucks donket scrotum!!!!

GOD FARUKIN DAMNABLE RIGHT!!!!!! I'm the same way. My steak aint rare honey, and no matter how many times the puerto rican chef wipes his ass with it back there it still aint rare! no matter how many times the pill head behind the bar stirs this miller lite with his penis, it still aint a Guinness. Now i'm leaving, as for the tip, best tip i can give you is to find a job where knowing what the Funck your talking about has no impact on the financial outcome!

WOOOOOOHAAAAAA!!!!!!

I rate this post a 48.3. You guess the scale I am grading on.

I worked in German hospitality for a long time, including special events such as the ATP tennis tournament etc. The thing was that at venues like that we were sold the kegs as subcontractors by weight. Basically the weight of a full keg is known, as is the weight of a partially full keg.
We had to cash in at the end of the evening on weight sold.
Basically if we short poured beers, we were selling less weight for the same price, if we were smart and did it all night we ended up with a few hundred marks in our pockets, it was a nice earner, wasn't me that started it and to be honest I was never that comfortable with increasing the "tip" pot by that much as it was dishonest, but hey there's a lot worse done in the world of hospitality and it was money in the pocket.
In any case at big events that can sometimes be the case, watch out for those huge Mass glasses at the Oktoberfest being half full of foam. Lots of cash for the serving women.....

Man I haven't been to an Applebee's in at least 10 years I just dont like corporate diners. But then again I am blessed to live where I do. Cause the customer base wants the good decent beers not that BMC shizz. Like last night I went to Gumpy's They have about 10 taps and not one of them is a BMC those are all in bottles or tall boys BTW the tall boy PBRs only 2 bucks. yuck. Oh wait they have Grain Belt Premium on tap.

I've got the wrong beer once at Capital Ale House, but it wasn't the bartender's fault. They have an asston of tap lines, and one had been connected to the wrong keg on the prior shift when some kegs were swapped out and handles changed - the barkeep even commented that they thought it was the wrong beer and went to check the line. They asked me if I wanted it replaced, but what I got was fine so I went with it.

I ordered a "best" at a pub in London once and the beer tasted a little vinegary. So I told the bartender about it. The guys I was traveling with thought I was crazy and that my yankee ass would be thrown out on the street. The bartender, saying nothing, went downstairs for a few moments (prolly to switch the keg), came back up, ran out the line a bit, poured me another at it was delicious. Needless to say, he was very nice about it and I was pleasantly surprised!

Never settle for less when it comes to beer!

I saw a shirt at the last microbrew festival I went to that I wish I had bought. On the front it said, "Beer SNOB" and on the back it said:

"Supporter of
Native
Oregon
Beers"

:D

I am not a beer snob (tho SWMBO says i am) but I hate domestic piss beer, and am not a fan of hoppy beer. So If someone tries to serve me a BMC or IPA, i get to be unhappy, because i sure as hell didn't order it!

I rarely eat out at all... either order in (and hope its good) or go to a buffet....

complaining about beer is acceptable I think... you want what you want and it isn't cheap.

food is another matter... ever watch "Waiting"?? that **** is not fake. once in a while you hear a scary story in the news about boogers or even semen (insane kitchen staff) making its way into a salad... I imagine it is EXTREMELY common but does not get caught very often.

I'd rather accidentally eat cat (i.e. Chinese buffet) than some dudes love butter in my salad! good god!

wow...lots of stories.

I agree there is no need to be rude to people, patrons and servers alike...we ALL work for our money. If I get the wrong beer or it doesn't taste right I will simply discuss this with the server knowing full well he/she is not at fault.

I've had beer served that just didn't taste right, respectful discussion I got a beer that tasted the way I expected. Result, everybody is happy and I leave a good tip.

I need to start sending stuff back. I generally hate confrontation, and generally try to be a nice guy (even to tech support on the phone: THEY didn't break my computer), but there have been a few times when what I ordered just wasn't right. I had a SA Oktoberfest at a place outside of Boston that was soured, and oddly enough both beers I ordered at the Buffalo Brewpub were crap in different ways. The Brewpub is kinda far from me (not in Buffalo at all, actually), so I don't really feel the need to go back again.

I guess I still don't really feel that I'm that knowledgeable about beer to the point where I can be an arrogant prick about it to anyone but my friends (who know that it's tongue in cheek). I will try the 'naming beers I know damn well you don't have' trick the next time someone says 'well what do you want?' when their idea of fancy is Blue. DFH 120? Damn, thought I had a chance on that one. Bigfoot 07? So close.

Also, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in the trend of only having SA seasonals on tap most places. Twice now I've ordered 'Sam Adams' because I felt like having a beer while I was out (generally I get water and have something back at home)... the first time I was brought a glass of something orangeish and cloudy. I thought 'What the hell is this? Oh well, it's not BMC, that's for damn sure.' It wasn't bad so I didn't complain. The second time, at Applebee's, the waitress said 'okay... oh, it's the seasonal, is that fine?' I got a bottle and she got a better tip (we were also using up a gift card, which is the only reason I go there anyway).

Never had the wrong beer brought out, but most often I don't order beer in bars that only have BMC. If anything, I'll get that bottle of Guinness Extra Stout that has been in the merchandiser for two years. :rolleyes:

Did send a meal back last night for the first time ever. Ordered lasagna and it must have been the marinara from the bottom of the pot. Burnt/sweet and much darker than normal. Thought it was a piss poor BBQ sauce at first.

I've had this happen. I always try to be respectful, I get yelled at too often in my job and I really don't care to do that to others who are just trying to make a buck. I'm open to the possibility that I'm sometimes wrong, as SWMBO reminds me almost daily, but implying I'm wrong about this beer you just brought me which is obviously not what I ordered...that can turn me into a penis head pretty quickly.

food is another matter... ever watch "Waiting"?? that **** is not fake. once in a while you hear a scary story in the news about boogers or even semen (insane kitchen staff) making its way into a salad... I imagine it is EXTREMELY common but does not get caught very often.

I'd rather accidentally eat cat (i.e. Chinese buffet) than some dudes love butter in my salad! good god!

There was a youtube video recently showing some domino's employees wiping stuff on their rear ends. Some folks saw it and reported who they thought might have been the cuplrits:

Free Stuff: Consumerist Detectives Get Coupons For Free Dominos Pizza For A Year

WOOOOOOHAAAAAA!!!!!!

really? bro take it easy. I'm a server and i honestly dont deserve any of the **** people pull on me. I get yelled over **** that is rediclous. If you knew what a server deals with/does, you would never be a dick to them. I am a home brewer and a server so i know what all this **** is about. Simmer down and just relax. If you want a beer that is your way, brew it or buy it in a bottle, dont get pissed if you get the wrong thing. I got a franziskaner hefe when i ordered a dunkelweizen, but hey, i drank it and tipped 25%, dont be a dick, be a good guy and everyone wins.

The other week I went to Vegas and dined in n upscale pub. The waitress said the had their own specialty beer on tap and it was highly recommended. I asked about the style and any other information she had about it and got that blank stare. She came back a fewminutes later and told me it was an IPA similar to Sierra Nevada, so I decided to to try it. She brings back a glass of obviously BMC and sets it down. Then she got upset when I sent it back.....go figure.

I ordered a "best" at a pub in London once and the beer tasted a little vinegary. So I told the bartender about it. The guys I was traveling with thought I was crazy and that my yankee ass would be thrown out on the street. The bartender, saying nothing, went downstairs for a few moments (prolly to switch the keg), came back up, ran out the line a bit, poured me another at it was delicious. Needless to say, he was very nice about it and I was pleasantly surprised!

Never settle for less when it comes to beer!

I would strongly recommend that anyone visiting England do this if you are not 100% satisfied with your order. In all my years there I never once had a problem with sniffy staff if I sent a beer back. It is more usual that they will thank you for telling them so they know that it needs fixing.

really? bro take it easy. I'm a server and i honestly dont deserve any of the **** people pull on me.

No you probably don't deserve it. You may be catching flak for customers' experience of other servers.

If you knew what a server deals with/does, you would never be a dick to them.

I don't know about Hillbillydeluxe, but I try never to be a dick to anyone. If a server brings me something I didn't order, I ask him or her to take it back and get me what I did order. That server then has to work hard for the 15% tip. If I don't get the service I expect - smaller tip.

Simmer down and just relax. If you want a beer that is your way,brew it or buy it in a bottle, dont get pissed if you get the wrong thing.

Are you seriously suggesting that people should accept whatever they're given regardless of what they ordered, and not even necessarily expect to get what they ordered?

I got a franziskaner hefe when i ordered a dunkelweizen, but hey, i drank it and tipped 25%,

Oh, you are.

I think you should change jobs, or at least work in a restaurant where you get fewer crazies.

Lots of people do jobs where they get put through a lot of s**t they don't deserve, some of them really important jobs like teaching or social work where you need a degree, and they don't get tax free earnings for the pleasure.

I think Hillbillydeluxe was very heavy handed, and I do agree that some people are obnoxious to wait staff for no good reason, but his point is good. If someone is employed to get you what you want, then that's what they have to do, and if they don't do it, someone's not doing his or her job properly (not necessarily the wait staff, to be fair).

Oh, and another thing

I would strongly recommend that anyone visiting England do this if you are not 100% satisfied with your order.

Camra ran a campaign about getting short pints, as in too much head and therefore not as much beer in the glass. They encouraged people to ask for their beer to topped up. Bar staff didn't even blink when I tried this.

And they don't even get tips.

Because almost every pub has cask ale, the ale is exposed to air and prone to infection. The staff don't (or are not supposed to) drink while working and therefore rely on the customers to tell them if the beer's gone bad.

If you want a beer that is your way, brew it or buy it in a bottle, dont get pissed if you get the wrong thing. I got a franziskaner hefe when i ordered a dunkelweizen, but hey, i drank it and tipped 25%, dont be a dick, be a good guy and everyone wins.

Umm. No. I ordered what I wanted. If I don't get what I want, I don't "win."

I really don't care if it is some phenomenal beer that was put in place of what I ordered, I still didn't order it. Maybe I've had it and don't care for it, maybe it doesn't complement the meal I'm having. Doesn't matter, it isn't what I ordered.

Example. I order a nice rare steak. I receive a lobster tail. Great food, except it wasn't what I ordered. I'm not a "dick" for sending it back. It's not what I ordered.

I went to Chevy's tex mex reasuarant this last weekend and had a little wait and the SWMBO has a long day at work and wanted a Margarita.

I asked the hostess what their happy hour specials were. She rattled off some margarita stuff and then said "all draft beer is $3 too". I was like ok, let's go see what they have.

The swmbo orders her margarita and I ask to make sure the hostess new what she was talking about "what beer is on your happy hour" and she says "all domestic draft". Ok well that limited it down more, but they have firestone double barrel on tap so I will go for that.

Well she said, "oh that is not on the happy hour" and I pointed at that it was produced and bottled less than 2 hours from where we are both standing right now. How is that not domestic? I complained that they should be more specific as that is domestic. I am sure I could have made a huge deal as the manager was standing right there but I was too pissed to try and explain how they don't know what that means.

She pretty much just shrugged her shoulders and I said then I don't want anything. Then to top it off I felt like the portions on the meal I usually get was about half the size it was 3 months ago.

Not a snob at all. I have had places get the taps wrong in the back and the waiter didn't know one beer from another, except that if he chugs them he gets drunk!

Now, I might qualify as a jerk, because I have pushed things in the past to the point of saying, "Take me to your keg room." Where I have politely pointed at the line matching the tap outside and said, "That, that is connected to Budweiser, not Stella, there is a difference." And then had them swap lines. On the other hand, they still poured me a Budweiser, since the line was full of Bud and they didn't clear the line. Ugh.

Once argued with a waitress that the raspberry ale she brought me was not the stout I ordered.

Fortunately I am easy going and just tried my hardest to down the light colored raspberry ale. It tasted and looked exactly like the raspberry ale that a friend had ordered.

I was at a local Moose Lodge... kinda lame... But I ordered a Sam Adams Boston Lager... I clearly recieved a beer that was half Boston Lager, half BMC... No doubt about it... The color was pretty much inbetween (very golden in color, actually), and the hop flavor was barely noticable. I told the bartender that it didn't taste right, and that I know what a Boston Lager SHOULD taste like... He said "Listen, if you don't like the beer, just order something else, you won't like everything"...... Uhhhh. What? I ended up ordering a Miller Lite... Tasted spot on.. Blah.

We have a local bar that has good food near my home. I have stopped ordering tap beers from hem beacuse of the way they wash their glasses. Its the brushes in the sink, rinse and dry routine.
Not that I am a health nut, but I smell the sanitizer when I drink the beer and it gives it a nasty taste.
Compare that to the pub that we go to that has good beer. They have a commercial dishwasher that never leaves a residue or smell. Plus they have 35 beer taps and are always brining in different beers.
I guess its a difference between a pub with food versus a restaurant with beer.

Latest posts

Back