Has brewing beer demystified beer for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnacks

Reaction score
For me, it's pretty well turned me off of the sort of BeerAdvocate beer scenesterism --I don't really care about the newest double IPA that you just GOTTA try, and I don't think I'm going to bother going to Darkness Day even though it's local, because I can brew 5 gallons of a mighty fine RIS for the cost of a bottle or two. And I don't want to try the newest double IPA because I want to tinker with my own recipe.

Moreover, I know there's no magic in the latest and greatest double IPA--it's probably some combination of malt, water, hops, and yeast. Probably. And if I try hard enough (with the help of the fine people around here) we can probably make it ourselves, and we don't even need Magic Double IPA Pixy Dust.

In some ways it's made me less of a "beer geek" even as I'm far more immersed in it than I've ever been. I'm over the hype, I just want to make good beer!

Yes and no. I completely agree with you regarding IPAs, RIS, etc. and I think most American craft beer styles have been demystified for me. This could largely be due to the fact that most American craft brewers are very open with their recipes/techniques, and lots of good information is readily available on the internet.

What homebrewing has mystified for me is German lagers/hybrids. Even with continental ingredients, decoction mashing, huge starters, and rigid temperature control I can't quite replicate the elusive flavor that beers like Ayinger Jahrhundert or Fruh Kolsch have. I've only started brewing lagers recently, and the longest I've lagered anything so far is just over 1 month, so maybe I'll get there eventually.

For me it has, but I consider that a good thing, like you. I've beer connoisseured since I was 25, now 40 and about to be 41 in January. Been brewing for 4 years also in January. I find that I don't really experimentally buy different bunches of beer anymore to sample, well at least it's much much more rare for me to do so. When buying commercial beer I typically stick with my top favorite beers. I look forward to more experimentation when I'm brewing my own or when I travel to places and see beers I've never even seen or heard of before.

Another way it's affected me is other beers I used to highly regard that I've now tried my hand in I tend to be disappointed in. For example, I made my own English ale in the style of Fullers London Pride and it came out simply amazing. Now when I drink London Pride only a few sips in I'm disappointed. Go ahead and chastise me for making such a ridiculous claim! I know it's a highly award decorated beer and I've always loved it. It's just that the English Ale I made simply had more flavor IMO so it's not the same going back.

Other beers I'm still in the process of tweaking to match (not meaning clone) or best my favorites.

Rev.

I wouldn't say it's demystified it but it has tuned me in to how outrageous many of the "latest" "greatest" beer fads are right now. In fact there is an article circulating around now listing the best beer of each state as rated on RateBeer and almost every beer listed is an over top, greater than 8.5% barrel aged/stout/dark/monster IIPA, etc, etc and it's actually kind of humorous.

I still enjoy supporting the craft and the craft brewers out there but it seems that every time I go bottle shopping there are another 10 monster beers, IIPA's, RIS, etc on the shelf and it's crazy the competition is on these beers and the demand for shelf space. I am always trying to find something new that isn't in the "fad" category but it's getting harder.

One of the reasons I brew is to brew what I like and since I can't always find what I like, it makes the hobby that much more rewarding:)

If anything, I'm even more interested in beers than ever. I love trying even more styles, and different brands of each style, than I ever did before I started brewing.

One of the things I love about traveling is the chance to try beers that aren't distributed where I live. I am more excited about that than ever before.

If anything, I'm even more interested in beers than ever. I love trying even more styles, and different brands of each style, than I ever did before I started brewing.

One of the things I love about traveling is the chance to try beers that aren't distributed where I live. I am more excited about that than ever before.

I agree. My wife and I recently did a beer tour through Missouri, Chicago, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. There are a lot of great brew pubs out there and beer from microbreweries that has very limited distribution. I'm planning a trip to Northern California for later this month to do the same. The more I try the more I want to try. The beers don't have to be over the top, just well done and there are lots even in small geographical areas.

With that said, for my every day tastes I buy some commercial beer but prefer my own because I make it to suit me.

I wouldn't say it's demystified it but it has tuned me in to how outrageous many of the "latest" "greatest" beer fads are right now. In fact there is an article circulating around now listing the best beer of each state as rated on RateBeer and almost every beer listed is an over top, greater than 8.5% barrel aged/stout/dark/monster IIPA, etc, etc and it's actually kind of humorous.

I still enjoy supporting the craft and the craft brewers out there but it seems that every time I go bottle shopping there are another 10 monster beers, IIPA's, RIS, etc on the shelf and it's crazy the competition is on these beers and the demand for shelf space. I am always trying to find something new that isn't in the "fad" category but it's getting harder.

One of the reasons I brew is to brew what I like and since I can't always find what I like, it makes the hobby that much more rewarding:)

Totally agree--I'm not even sure how these beers are profitable for the brewery. Unless a Bourbon Barrel-Aged Vanilla Bean Breakfast Sour Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout is the only way for Very Serious Beer Drinkers to take your brewery seriously?

Demystified in the sense that in most cases when I taste a good commercial beer I can now say, "Ah! That's how they do that." I've never been into really trendy beers. I've always liked good beer, but I'd rather try the local micro/nanobrews when I travel than seek out the Internet beer du jour. Living in SoCal kind of spoils me, though. We have a lot of great local breweries.

The more I brew the more geeky I become. I remember when I was very happy with the flat, yellowish fermented liquid that came out of my Beer Machine, and how excited I was to step up to Mr. Beer. Now I'm doing AG/BIAB and wondering whether I should buy a pond pump for chilling or replace my swamp coolers with a deep freeze ferm chamber first.

Yeah, I guess the mystery is gone(water, malt, hops,yeast) but the romance remains. I love going to different brewpubs and trying something new I always get so excited going to a new brewpub, kinda like going on a grown up field trip. I wonder about all the inspirations, frustrations, happiness and triumphs that went into the making of a brewpub. All the people involved willing to take a huge financial risk for a unknown outcome. All for the love of beer. I find the environment is(usually)festive and I'm just mesmerized by the brewing operations. Grain mills, mash and lauter tuns and the behemoth fermentation tanks all perfectly temp controlled are awe inspiring to me. Besides its really kinda cool to know whats going on.:D Kinda like belonging to a secret club! What I have no interest in learning is wine making. I love love love fine wines but that needs to remain mysterious for me.

some people take their beer way too seriously. most of them don't brew or understand the process. there's nothing wrong with a Bourbon Barrel-Aged Vanilla Bean Breakfast Sour Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout, just the people that cream over their release and stand in line for 3 days and try to buy up half the stock so no one else can try them.

as far as being demystified, no. but it did give me more of an appreciation for beer and how it's made.

Enjoy the beers, and embrace the fact that there is so much variety out there, and that many of these breweries are pushing the envelope. They are creating a beer culture that is uniquely American. I love it, and support it.

These beers and brewers will survive if the market wants them to.

Their beers give me ideas for my own.

I don't drink too many of them as I have plenty of decent beer made at home, but I do enjoy trying all the different styles on offer.

I came to this country 30 years ago, from the UK. In the UK, I was active with CAMRA and enjoyed a period of beer revolution. I came over here, only to find tasteless pilsner beers commonly called BMC. Maybe you could occasionally find Bass or Newky Brown, but neither of them were in the major leagues of beer.

Eventually SN started off, and moved across the country from the west, and SA started in the east, but it took a long time for this country to welcome a decent variety of beer. The revolution is young; embrace it. I think there is a lot still to be explored in the world of American brewing.

I think it has demystified beers for me. If anything it has opened me up to so many different kinds of beers then pale ales IPAs and stouts. I mean a brewery a few hours away from me announced today they are doing a coolship beer. I am so excited and 5 years ago when I was not brewing I would have had no clue what that meant and how cool it was.

It is an interesting question for sure. In my experience homebrewing has made me interested in seeking out new breweries and new styles. I have also gained an appreciation for why certain beers cost so much. Each time I find a new beer/style that I like I immediately want to brew it.

I think it has given me more of an appreciation for where the US is in terms of beer. The history of beer and the journey to present is something I think any beer drinker should look into. It's magic. ;)

I normally start rambling on if anyone shows the least bit of interest in beer and/or home brewing. If I see eyes starting to glass over, I move on to another subject. Like most of us here (I think) I can and will talk about all things beer for days... Maybe that's why I don't have to many true friends... Lol

Now someone saying "can't wait for that Christmas...beer to get tapped, there only getting one keg!" and then go on about how last year one pint got them hammered and what do you think they put in that.... I just think to myself, man they know nothing about beer and think they know it all. Try to toss in some proper info and then listen to how they tried 15 different beers the other night, this one or that one was great... Yeah, okay.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect most people to have the same interest in beer that I do but if you know me for more than an hour you probably know I brew beer, don't try to impress me with some BS you heard on TV.

I say if you enjoy it and don't know anything about it, either your okay with that or you have some questions, ether way, don't try to tell me you know they changed how they make PBR cuz it used to taste different.

Okay, I'm done now.

Short answer....Yes and no.

Yes....I now longer run to the store to see the latest beers and give'um a try. Although I must admit, I so salivate at the site of a seasonal brew from Sierra Nevada.

No....I go freaking ga'ga for new yeast and hop strains. I'm really liking IPA's , so self control at this time of year is getting pretty hard.;)

I still like to try beers i havent had before but Im definitely not paying the hop slam prices or waiting in line to get beer. I can brew some pretty darn good beer and im happy i learned how. The only thing that sucks is none of my friends brew but they all love beer. They always have some exclusive stuff and they love to talk about it but they never want to talk about how it's made. Its frustrating to me as a brewer because i share the same passion for good beer but i want to talk shop about it. I guess drinking good beer is a lit easier than making it...

I think my brewing helps me appreciate the process more. I think about it now vs. downing a beer, pretty much any beer. Now I tend to actually look at the style and "taste" for the style when drinking. Not so much volume over flavor these days.

Not really. Admittedly I did work at a local micro part time for a short while, so half the process was already somewhat known. Even before that I knew the basic "Get sugars from grain, boil it, cool (or wait) and throw yeast at it" process, but no numbers that I can rattle off now like clockwork. The difference between mashing at 62 and 68, those are the things I learned over time.

Now going to the beer store is less about restocking. Hell, I don't even go to "The Beer Store" anymore. I go right to the craft section of the liquor store and sample new styles, or new brands of styles I've had before. Certain occasions exempted.

Demystified. Now that comes from giving a 30 second introduction to the process when someone is confused that you can make beer at home. Much like the part at the top of this post in quotation marks. They usually don't get it.

Yes, the magic is gone for me as far as commercial beer goes. I couldn't care less if I ever drink another commercial beer again. Unfortunately, friends and family still give me commercial beers as gifts, so my goal of saying "I haven't had a commercial beer in X years" usually gets knocked down to days or weeks. I can't say I'm never impressed anymore but it's definately rare.

Beer fads tend to depend on the source and the audience, and there seem to be different ones going at once. The Bourbon Barrel fad is still going strong, as is the "Biggest Blackest Stout" fad, as is the "most hops crammed in per barrel" fad, but now sours and even Session Beers (and by Session Beers, with a few exceptions that's pretty limited to Session IPA and still often higher than the average lager in terms of ABV). And then there's the "craziest ingredient" fad, with the kopi luwak beer, the rocky mountain oyster beer, the beard yeast beer, etc. I'm glad to see something other than DIPA and BB RIS making the rounds, but I agree, it can get excessive. Especially for someone like me who likes a balanced, straightforward, sessionable pint.

This is pretty much me. Brewing has certainly demystified beer, but with greater understanding comes greater appreciation, at least for me. I used to refrain from lagers until I understood the brewing process and developed a better palate, and now I enjoy them that much more.

I'm rarely willing to line up for a special release (I've lined up for Zwanze Day and when Westy 12 was released in the US, and that was it). Nor am I actively seeking out the newest weird ingredient or whatever. What I am looking for is good examples of classic styles that I haven't had before, and a greater understanding of the styles I'm not familiar with. I hadn't really had either Munich Helles or Dortmunder in any appreciable quantity until I started studying for the BJCP exam, and now I have a great respect and admiration for both styles, and I'm actively seeking em out.

No, the more I learn the less I understand. Belgian beer... The same basic recipe can be totally different beers. single malt, sugar, noble hops and yeast. And you can make any kind of beer.

Brewing has given me a different perspective and appreciation for beer. I am new brewer so I still need to dial in my equipment and processes to get to making some great beer--I have some good stuff flowing but not great yet. When I sit down to a pint I admire what it is I am drinking rather than just going 'Me Likey'. When I find a beer that I like, I now sit and try to analyze what I am tasting, how did it get there, and how can replicate that someday.

Think of it this way: We can all cook to some level, but does that take the magic out of a great meal at a nice restaurant? I can grill up some very nice steaks, and cook for a small party (10-15 people) getting every thing out close to temperature and on time to everybody, and everything is good. I got to a Ruth Chris, and I got a steak that was just perfect. Perfectly cooked, seasoned just right, and perfect amount of marbling--Perfect. That by itself was a feat to me and to realize that is happening for all of those other folks in there at the same time--that become the real magic to me.

Brewing has given me a different perspective and appreciation for beer. I am new brewer so I still need to dial in my equipment and processes to get to making some great beer--I have some good stuff flowing but not great yet. When I sit down to a pint I admire what it is I am drinking rather than just going 'Me Likey'. When I find a beer that I like, I now sit and try to analyze what I am tasting, how did it get there, and how can replicate that someday.

Think of it this way: We can all cook to some level, but does that take the magic out of a great meal at a nice restaurant? I can grill up some very nice steaks, and cook for a small party (10-15 people) getting every thing out close to temperature and on time to everybody, and everything is good. I got to a Ruth Chris, and I got a steak that was just perfect. Perfectly cooked, seasoned just right, and perfect amount of marbling--Perfect. That by itself was a feat to me and to realize that is happening for all of those other folks in there at the same time--that become the real magic to me.

Your steak analogy is great! Hits the nail on the head.

I didn't explore the beer world much till I started home brewing. That opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me. Mainly due to the styles of beer easily brewed in the home situation typical of most. And of course reading up on all kinds of styles, past to present. Rare or extinct styles can be fascinating. Or brewing hybrid lagers just to experiment with flavors I remember from the past. Or just making a good APA, IPA or ESB for session drinking. So I basically like more & different styles of beer than I did before I began this journey into the happy madness that is home brewing. :mug:

Yes and no. I completely agree with you regarding IPAs, RIS, etc. and I think most American craft beer styles have been demystified for me. This could largely be due to the fact that most American craft brewers are very open with their recipes/techniques, and lots of good information is readily available on the internet.

What homebrewing has mystified for me is German lagers/hybrids. Even with continental ingredients, decoction mashing, huge starters, and rigid temperature control I can't quite replicate the elusive flavor that beers like Ayinger Jahrhundert or Fruh Kolsch have. I've only started brewing lagers recently, and the longest I've lagered anything so far is just over 1 month, so maybe I'll get there eventually.
You aren't the only one, dude. I've been brewing lagers for years and still can't quite get that flavor. I think we're chasing shadows...
However, I've brewed some absolutely fantastic lagers, even if they don't quite have the Weihenstephaner or Ayinger flavor. Authentic ingredients, good water quality, good aeration, and plenty of healthy yeast at the right temps and you should produce great beer.

Homebrewing really has demystified craft beer for me, except for German lagers. I go to a bar or brewery nowadays, and unless they have some lagers, I'm pretty disinterested in the same old IPA, Pale Ale, stout, or robust porter. No one brews British styles, no one brews German styles...American beer is boring to me. But either way, now that I know how to brew these beers, I'd rather just drink my own.

For me it has, but I consider that a good thing, like you. I've beer connoisseured since I was 25, now 40 and about to be 41 in January. Been brewing for 4 years also in January. I find that I don't really experimentally buy different bunches of beer anymore to sample, well at least it's much much more rare for me to do so. When buying commercial beer I typically stick with my top favorite beers. I look forward to more experimentation when I'm brewing my own or when I travel to places and see beers I've never even seen or heard of before.

Another way it's affected me is other beers I used to highly regard that I've now tried my hand in I tend to be disappointed in. For example, I made my own English ale in the style of Fullers London Pride and it came out simply amazing. Now when I drink London Pride only a few sips in I'm disappointed. Go ahead and chastise me for making such a ridiculous claim! I know it's a highly award decorated beer and I've always loved it. It's just that the English Ale I made simply had more flavor IMO so it's not the same going back.

Other beers I'm still in the process of tweaking to match (not meaning clone) or best my favorites.

Rev.

What you're saying does make some sense. If your recipe and process is dialed in enough, your homebrew has the added advantage of freshness a beer imported from England can't match.

As for the larger point, I still go to my local bottle shop weekly for tastings and still try to find new beers to try for inspiration. I was never really a wait-in-line for beer type guy. I also want to pad my Untappd check-ins and earn badges.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It has in a way, when I used to drink some of New Glarus thumbprint beers I'd just go gaga cause it was so different (their sours and lambics and such). Now I still go gaga but I know why the beer tastes the way it tastes and sort of the processes I would have to go through to clone it. I'm not at the point where all my beers are amazing but I have been on a streak lately of making some tasty stuff (pure luck).

I would stand in line if I had to for any New Glarus release. No one else though. If anything homebrewing has made it more fun, it took away the mystifying and just became fun to try commercial versions and think "I could make that".

For a while I did stop buying beer. Started buying bottles every now and again. I think I enjoy drinking the commercial beers more. I've become more interested in trying other beers. I think it has helped me as a brewer.

Has brewing demystified beer for me? Yes and no. Yes in that now I know how make beer. No in that there are still those beers with subtle nuances that I can get close to but not exact. Ive got my irish reds tasting identical to Killians. My Scottish Wee Heavy is damn near dead on to McEwans. And Im working on my double chocolate stout its almost dead on to Young's.

Styles are easy, its the nuances that still mystify.

What's with the underlying criticism towards "those beer drinkers" that always come out in these threads? Seems like every other post is some crack at breweries experimenting or people wanting to try them. What's wrong with experimenting? What's wrong with people being enthusiastic towards a style or brewery? They probably spend more money and help that brewery than I ever would.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wait in line either but I just don't get why we have to play the "I'm too cool for the hipsters" card. Anyone who supports craft beer is okay in my book. Whether its to "fit it" or seem cool, doesn't matter to me. They are buying beers and growing the industry.

If it takes rare/experimental beer to drive out the masses and spend $30 a bottle, so be it. Remember, that large influx of cash can allow the brewery to do a one-off experiment of your favorite style, whether its a witbier or a mild. No one is going to pay $20 for a california common and it won't bring in some insane sales day either. They are a business and as they profit, they grow, they experiment.

Not trying to flame, but some of the comments I see on threads like this about "beer snobs" or the "uninformed" often, ironically, sound like snobbery.

Remember sitting in your local 'BAR' drinking the Happy Hour Special.. Now think about sitting in the tasting room of your local craft brewery, your homebrew tasting room or events with other homebrewers. The thing that has been demystified for me is the people I drink with now. A Homebrew Club, LHBS or Craft beer Fest are some of the best times you can have.

What's with the underlying criticism towards "those beer drinkers" that always come out in these threads? Seems like every other post is some crack at breweries experimenting or people wanting to try them. What's wrong with experimenting? What's wrong with people being enthusiastic towards a style or brewery? They probably spend more money and help that brewery than I ever would.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wait in line either but I just don't get why we have to play the "I'm too cool for the hipsters" card. Anyone who supports craft beer is okay in my book. Whether its to "fit it" or seem cool, doesn't matter to me. They are buying beers and growing the industry.

If it takes rare/experimental beer to drive out the masses and spend $30 a bottle, so be it. Remember, that large influx of cash can allow the brewery to do a one-off experiment of your favorite style, whether its a witbier or a mild. No one is going to pay $20 for a california common and it won't bring in some insane sales day either. They are a business and as they profit, they grow, they experiment.

Not trying to flame, but some of the comments I see on threads like this about "beer snobs" or the "uninformed" often, ironically, sound like snobbery.

I would never make the assertion I'm too cool for the hipsters. Hell, my first homebrew club I showed up in a plaid shirt and my trimmed full beard and ended up chatting about kayaking with the club president, I know I'm already half way to being a hipster.

I would bet there's communities online that sneer about the homebrewers and how we are the mouthbreathers talking about our homebrew. Not that it excuses the holier than thou attitude, but participating in the creative process and putting your creation out there for criticism puts you a step beyond the average beer taster. I wouldn't trust an art critic that doesn't create art, or music critic that doesn't make music, why would I trust the critiques of someone tastin a beer that has no understanding of the creation of that beer? Not saying they don't have a sense of smell and sense of taste. Part of the reason I quit doing ratebeer (other reason people describing any New Glarus beers as "syrup").

Well, you know what they say, those that can't do teach. Saw that on Cold Case last night personified. Beer, wine & food seem to all have those with no intimate knowledge of the medium talking like snobs.

Back