Has anyone used a minifridge to cool and serve several kegs similar to a ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearaids

Reaction score
I want to build a custom bar in my basement, but the space I am working with is very tight. To save space, I want to have a very narrow but wide cooling chamber to hold about 4-5 kegs that I will have on tap. A keezer isn't ideal, as they take up more space than I would care to give up. I my head I would build something like this:
http://brewbit.com/blog/55870904567/mini-fridge-fermentation-chamber-build-with

Would a mini-fridge be able to cool an area of similar volume to proper serving temperature? If this is possible, I think it would be a better use of my space, as I can the shape/size of the bar I want without having to design it around a freezer.

I want to build a custom bar in my basement, but the space I am working with is very tight. To save space, I want to have a very narrow but wide cooling chamber to hold about 4-5 kegs that I will have on tap. A keezer isn't ideal, as they take up more space than I would care to give up. I my head I would build something like this:
http://brewbit.com/blog/55870904567/mini-fridge-fermentation-chamber-build-with

Would a mini-fridge be able to cool an area of similar volume to proper serving temperature? If this is possible, I think it would be a better use of my space, as I can the shape/size of the bar I want without having to design it around a freezer.

It is possible but air circulation and insulation become paramount. Also, the time to cool will be very high each time you add a new keg unless you always keep four fairly full kegs in the other slots as you need that thermal mass.

A friend had a very large (to me) 4' x 4' x 7' serving temp room attached to an equally large fermentation room all run by an old GE flat top fridge from the 1950's. Each time he loaded in 2-3 new kegs the serving room would take a full day to come back down at a stabilized temperature.

Latest posts

Back